Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Put Him in Coach? Aaron Hicks is Ready for Center Field

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    By the way, throughout his career, he has had a BABIP over .300, often close to .350. Last year in the majors, it slumped to .241. In addition to all the mental errors and other mistakes, he was also unlucky.
    So if he would have had average luck last year (.300), he would have hit about .230 (25% more hits than .192). If he would have hit .230 last year instead of .190, it would not have been a constant headline. He would have been OB about .300 with 9 HR. Not good, but not a dreadful first 80 games after skipping AAA.

It is nice to see others thinking the same way as myself..........I am still high on Hicks. He will be better than Revere and Span in the long run, I also eventually( in 2 or 3 yrs) see him hitting 20 plus HR's a season along with a .260-.275 avg and well above avg defense.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the same time, he converted on just 98% of plays that were considered “Routine” -- 90%-100% chance of conversion -- the lowest mark in that category.
    Is that a typo? If it's not, I have to wonder how meaningful it is--how many "Routine" play opportunities did Hicks see last year? It wouldn't take more than an unlucky misstep or two, I would think, to go from a well-rated center fielder to a poorly-rated one if 98% is the lowest score.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He had to beat out Presley or go back to AAA. He did that, resoundingly.
    "Oh, and there's only one spot open right now, so we're gonna have...

...tryouts."

ST battles make sense for competitive teams needing to fill a bench spot or two, all other factors being relatively even. But if the rebuilding Twins are using ST performances as a significant factor in settling position battles, then it calls into question their commitment to greater emphasis on even basic metric evaluative principles, let alone advanced metrics.

Still hoping they'll come around in that regard. With respect to Antony's remarks about nobody stepping up in position battles including CF, my hope is that in the case of Hicks the organization decided to start him in center before ST but Antony included him as being a guy battling for a starting spot anyway, just to use him as another example that furthered the 'new (acting) sheriff in town' message.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123