Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Article: Consistency Earned Kyle Gibson the Fifth Starter Job

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,229
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    You must have missed the various stories about Sano and Rosario.
    Or MH370.

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    The idea that pitch f/x always is right is just "wrong". It can't be right all the time, it doesn't have the capacity to be right all the time. Sometimes, the umpire is going to be right and pitch f/x will be wrong. Sometimes they will be both wrong, especially if you are going to train the umpires to call pitches based on pitch f/x.
    Right, so these things tend to cancel each other out. Given a large enough sample size, a 73% similarity between Pitch F/X and the actual calls is significant, especially when the average is 81%.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  3. #23
    For those Twins Fans who still complain that the Twins operate under a scholarship program, consider this. The Twins entered spring training with eight players being out of options: Trevor Plouffe, Anthony Swarzak, Scott Diamond, Sam Deduno, Vance Worley,Eduardo Escobar, Alex Presley, Chris Parmelee

    Four of them were put on waivers – Presley was claimed by the Astros; Worley was traded to the Pirates and Diamond and Parmelee cleared waivers and were sent down to AAA. Plouffe, Swarzak, Deduno and Escobar are all with the team.

    So much for entitlement. Even when it's at the expense of having Jason Bartlett and Jason Kubel on the squad. Will the two Jasons excel as they did three years ago – or will they revert to their near-disastrous 2012 campaigns?

    Let's hope the other "Js" on the team – Joe, Josh, Josmil and Jared – also excel this year. If they do, it could be an exciting season.

  4. #24
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    For those Twins Fans who still complain that the Twins operate under a scholarship program, consider this. The Twins entered spring training with eight players being out of options: Trevor Plouffe, Anthony Swarzak, Scott Diamond, Sam Deduno, Vance Worley,Eduardo Escobar, Alex Presley, Chris Parmelee

    Four of them were put on waivers – Presley was claimed by the Astros; Worley was traded to the Pirates and Diamond and Parmelee cleared waivers and were sent down to AAA. Plouffe, Swarzak, Deduno and Escobar are all with the team.

    So much for entitlement. Even when it's at the expense of having Jason Bartlett and Jason Kubel on the squad.

    Will the two Jasons excel as they did three years ago – or will they revert to their near-disastrous 2012 campaigns?

    Let's hope the other "Js" on the team – Joe, Josh, Josmil and Jared – also excel this year. If they do, it could be an exciting season.
    Pretty good points with which I can respect, if not fully concur. However, it's important to point out the above-bolded area's inaccuracte characterizations and why the decision on Bartlett in particular is so questionable.

    In Bartlett's case, it was 2011 that was actually "near-disastrous" (WAR of -0.1/dWAR of -0.2) and 2012 which was calamitously awful enough to put an end to his career- in effect, you have a guy 2 years out of baseball and 4 years away from when he was an acceptable major league infielder. Kubel was acceptable in 2011 and 2012 with disturbing decrease in contact rate (career high 151 Ks in 2012) and the wheels came off the cart for him completely in 2013, causing his benching in Arizona. They made the team this spring strictly on the Twins slim hope that their chances of returning to major league form are higher than those they replaced of ever reaching major league form.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-29-2014 at 11:06 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would tend to discount Bartlett's 2012. He only played less than a month, and some of that time, he was trying to play injured. At the very least, you have to cite small samples. If he happened to be slumping and injured during that month, you would expect awful results.

    Can he return to 2010 levels? Probably not. He's a 40/60 shot to return to 2011 levels, if I had to lay odds on it, given that he's healthy for the first time in three years. If he can, that's probably good enough for a futility guy.

    Then again, he will not be called upon to hit all that much. His job is to fill in defensively when guys get pinch hit for late in games. He might start a game here or there, but his bat will not hurt that much. He isn't even second in line for shortstop, that's Escobar. I expect Esco to get twice the ABs and games than Bartlett.

    The Twins are taking a big risk here. If he succeeds, they'll look like geniuses. If he doesn't, ..., they'll look dumb. Either way, it won't affect much of the outcome of this season.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    740
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Gibson pitched today, going against Alex Meyer. Today Meyer came out on top. Kyle breezed thru the Rochester order the first 3 innings but got belted around in the 4th, giving up 5 runs. He did settle down for the 5th and 6th innings. It was a strange game that went 12 innings as more pitchers needed work. And now they'll all be gone from here but the Miracle and GCL.

  7. #27
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I would tend to discount Bartlett's 2012. He only played less than a month, and some of that time, he was trying to play injured. At the very least, you have to cite small samples. If he happened to be slumping and injured during that month, you would expect awful results.

    Can he return to 2010 levels? Probably not. He's a 40/60 shot to return to 2011 levels, if I had to lay odds on it, given that he's healthy for the first time in three years. If he can, that's probably good enough for a futility guy.

    Then again, he will not be called upon to hit all that much. His job is to fill in defensively when guys get pinch hit for late in games. He might start a game here or there, but his bat will not hurt that much. He isn't even second in line for shortstop, that's Escobar. I expect Esco to get twice the ABs and games than Bartlett.

    The Twins are taking a big risk here. If he succeeds, they'll look like geniuses. If he doesn't, ..., they'll look dumb. Either way, it won't affect much of the outcome of this season.
    It was a severe enough injury as to cause major calamity to Bartlett- to end his 2012 season soon after it started- and then to seemingly end his career in 2013 (that's how it was related by Bartlett himself)..

    He supposedly is healthy now, but, and this was the point of my original post, his career was already in decline by 2011, and there is little evidence he can even return to 2011 levels of play. And having Bartlett on the team instead of someone who might challenge for a starting position or offer more in the way of affecting outcomes of games through speed, hitting ability or outfield defensive ability, let alone being completely irrelevant to the future, just makes no sense, and yes the move is risky as well as head-scratching- since there were multiple other ways to proceed. The chances for Bartlett to miraculously resurrect his career to pre-2011 are extremely remote, regardless, this whole thing could never in any way be construed as a genius move- remember, at this moment, the team is trying to sell the idea of using the 25th spot as a washed up chemistry coach who is going to help guys through all the tough times ahead.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-31-2014 at 12:47 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It was a severe enough injury as to cause major calamity to Bartlett- to end his 2012 season soon after it started- and then to seemingly end his career in 2013 (that's how it was related by Bartlett himself)..

    He supposedly is healthy now, but, and this was the point of my original post, his career was already in decline by 2011, and there is little evidence he can even return to 2011 levels of play. And having Bartlett on the team instead of someone who might challenge for a starting position or offer more in the way of affecting outcomes of games through speed, hitting ability or outfield defensive ability, let alone being completely irrelevant to the future, just makes no sense, and yes the move is risky as well as head-scratching- since there were multiple other ways to proceed. The chances for Bartlett to miraculously resurrect his career to pre-2011 are extremely remote, regardless, this whole thing could never in any way be construed as a genius move- remember, at this moment, the team is trying to sell the idea of using the 25th spot as a washed up chemistry coach who is going to help guys through all the tough times ahead.
    I agree with the bolded part, assuming there was someone like that available, either internally or externally. The field staff didn't think Presley was that guy. I was shocked when they made that decision, because I thought he had a decent September. Not that he would challenge Hicks in any real way, but he would provide depth at a thinning position. This thing happened just as Buxton's wrist injury appeared more serious and the same week they released Mitchell on the minor league side. If something happened to Hicks, it's Mastroianni and really nobody else. That's the thing that doesn't make sense to me.

    But I have higher hopes that he can resurrect his career. He spent most of 2012 and half of last year rehabbing. By the time he was healthy, he couldn't find any takers. Like I said, it's a long shot. And I don't put much stock in the chemistry thing. That's Gardy speak. If he doesn't perform, he'll be gone and they'll call up Mastro. This is either a two month experiment with a bench guy or an unlikely success story.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.