Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Mariner DFAs

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Two Mariner DFAs

I'll admit I haven't heard of either player, but Seattle DFAed two young players, one a speedy OF and the other a middle infielder with pretty good hitting numbers at AAA.

Carlos Triunfel is a 24 year old middle infielder. He's played 27 games in the majors, and was a Top 100 prospect. He's been a pretty good hitter in Triple A the last two years.

Xavier Avery, also 24, played 32 games for the Orioles two years ago. He a lefty all the way who has played mostly CF in the minors. It looks like he has stolen base speed, but not much power.

Should the Twins have any interest in either of these guys? From what I can see on BBRef, I would think they are exactly the kind of guys the Twins should be looking to claim with their two vacant roster spots.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Triunfel for Bartlett. Absolutely.

I would take both players, their past is definitely better than what our present is........and 24, they should still have some upside potential. But this is the Twins, they seldom step outside there comfort zone, unless absolutely needed, and in their minds, it is not needed.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like both. Either one is an upgrade over Bartlett, IMHO.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Talking Bartlett !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I like both. Either one is an upgrade over Bartlett, IMHO.
    I can't believe Bartlett is on this team. This has to be a "Gardy" thing and is a prime example of why I can't wait to kick Gardy to the curb and install Molitor as the next Twins manager. Really, exactly what did Bartlett do in spring training to earn a spot on this team??? If he smiled a lot, I can go to Florida in Feb & March and sweat a little with a smile on my face. My bat speed is about the equal of Bartlett's at this point.

Blog Entries
    Another DFA is Matt Tuiososopo who had a nice year for the Tigers last year. He'll be 28 in May, and has played left field, third, and first. He's even played in the middle infield a bit. He is certainly more "proven" than Colabello and more versatile. I hope this isn't thread jacking, but it is about the same general topic--players the Twins can or should claim with their two 40-man vacancies.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Anyone else irritated by this?

@TwinsPrez: Respect and understand angst and concern about our offense this spring. Need to be better. But amazed at focus on 25th man on the roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Another DFA is Matt Tuiososopo who had a nice year for the Tigers last year. He'll be 28 in May, and has played left field, third, and first. He's even played in the middle infield a bit. He is certainly more "proven" than Colabello and more versatile. I hope this isn't thread jacking, but it is about the same general topic--players the Twins can or should claim with their two 40-man vacancies.
    Problem is, most of these guys are out of options, I am guessing? So to put them on the 40-man, but not the 25-man (send them to AAA), we'd have to pass them through waivers again. I guess if no one else wants to give them a 25 man spot, it should be possible, but it's tricky. Would be easier with open 25 man spots.

The Twins have 3 or 4 25th men on their roster.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    The Twins have 3 or 4 25th men on their roster.
    Most teams do. It's called a bench.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

11. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-03-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Problem is, most of these guys are out of options, I am guessing? So to put them on the 40-man, but not the 25-man (send them to AAA), we'd have to pass them through waivers again. I guess if no one else wants to give them a 25 man spot, it should be possible, but it's tricky. Would be easier with open 25 man spots.
    Specifically, for Tuososopo, the question would be if he was an improvement over Colabello. CC has options remaining, so he could be sent down. If the Twins were interested in either of the two Seattle DFAs, optioning Colabello would be the way they could stay in the majors. At 24, one would think they do have options remaining anyway.

While I would always encourage upgrading weak positions on the major league team when possible, unless the replacement player is a significant upgrade, the Twins should not be looking for players with no options. There are enough of those types of players on the roster already. They only limit the kinds of moves you can make. If the players are of similar skill sets the player who came up through the system should have the advantage. Keep in mind the dfa'd players weren't good enough to make the other team. The Twins should be looking for the types of players that are able to 'make' the team.

Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    While I would always encourage upgrading weak positions on the major league team when possible, unless the replacement player is a significant upgrade, the Twins should not be looking for players with no options. There are enough of those types of players on the roster already. They only limit the kinds of moves you can make. If the players are of similar skill sets the player who came up through the system should have the advantage. Keep in mind the dfa'd players weren't good enough to make the other team. The Twins should be looking for the types of players that are able to 'make' the team.
    But remember almost all the other teams are better, so that being said, they must have better players to release or DFA that players that made our BAD team........I love the Twins, but I also am worried about another poor yr, and not just poor, but offensively unable to watch, and I normally catch about 100 games on tv and another 4 or 5 in person. Please tell me I will be wrong

Blog Entries
    Well, the team is bringing Hicks, Colabello, Bartlett + Kubel north. Based on their performances last year, I would say most anything would be an upgrade. Three of the four I listed are over 30, so I don't see much upside in them. There is a lack of speed and no backup center fielder. That is a lot of holes to plug.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    The Twins have 3 or 4 25th men in the top half of their opening day batting order.
    ftfy.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

17. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-29-2014), minn55441 (03-29-2014), raindog (03-29-2014), snepp (03-29-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Well, the team is bringing Hicks, Colabello, Bartlett + Kubel north. Based on their performances last year, I would say most anything would be an upgrade. Three of the four I listed are over 30, so I don't see much upside in them. There is a lack of speed and no backup center fielder. That is a lot of holes to plug.
    Being honest with ourselves, we also have to acknowledge that this year will be used to figure out how many holes will be left to plug by this time next year. Of those mentioned above, I'd expect that Hicks is the only one still here, with a slim chance of Kubel if he does well.

And of course the holes in the stands. Gotta acknowledge that as well.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post

@TwinsPrez: Respect and understand angst and concern about our offense this spring. Need to be better. But amazed at focus on 25th man on the roster.
    Yes. But I'm also amazed that they're amazed. Is it the "TwinsPrez's" place to be questioning his paying customers, or addressing their concerns?

"Team Chemistry Whisperer" as 25th man has to come out of the same PR noggin' as "Bi-lateral Leg Weakness".
    Last edited by jokin; 03-29-2014 at 11:15 AM.

20. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

raindog (03-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post

His perception of the focus is off.

It is about roster construction on a team with three consecutive 90 loss teams. Filling the holes with free agents helps long term only if their level of play is above league average.

While Pelfrey, Kubel, Bartlett, Colabello, Suzuki and possibly Guerrier have a chance to be better than a 24 or 25 year old in 2014, they will not be an asset to the next winning team. Rostering them only extends the cycle of mediocrity. Though I am not sure if the above players are good enough for the Twins to improve to mediocre.

The Mariners are crunched in the middle infield. Triunfel is out of options. They can't roster him. Someone should pick him up and see if they can capture the upside.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surprised that people are suggesting that Colabello be sent down.

He has nothing left to prove in AAA.

Kubel or Bartlett before CC.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Surprised that people are suggesting that Colabello be sent down.

He has nothing left to prove in AAA.

Kubel or Bartlett before CC.
    Agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast