Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernels Opening Day Roster announced

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    In any event, it'll be nice to see Stewart and Eades pitching down the road, if I wanted to see them.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Omissions:
    Austin Malinowski
    Hein Robb
    Lo
    Im almost shocked that Malinowski didn't make the roster. Anyword on these guys Seth?
    Robb is hurt.

I think it will be interesting to see if Malinowski does some starting this season for Elizabethton after being pretty solid out of the bullpen there last year. He could also be one of the first called up.

Lo, I'm not sure. He was pretty good last year too, but he begins the season in EST.

The guys in EST, pitching-wise, that surprised me most are Ethan Mildren and Derrick Penilla. I think those two should be next up.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Sulbaran played a grand total of four (4) games with the Kernels last year. Hard to make conclusions based on that.

His career line (in 118.7 IP) in the Midwest League in a tad more than a season, is: 3.56 ERA (FIP around 3.3ish), 1.340 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 2.89 K/BB. Hardly top of the line level... I first saw him pitch this spring, and I liked what I saw, but for some weird reason in the back of my mind, I have 2 words: Jose Mijares...
    I'd be quite happy if he had a Mijares like career. He was a pretty good reliever for us for a while. The fact that we got a decent prospect for Butera still surprises me.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The guys in EST, pitching-wise, that surprised me most are Ethan Mildren and Derrick Penilla. I think those two should be next up.
    Penilla has a few GCL innings and most in relief under his belt. He has to be E-town bound...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it will be interesting to see if Malinowski does some starting this season for Elizabethton after being pretty solid out of the bullpen there last year. He could also be one of the first called up.

Lo, I'm not sure. He was pretty good last year too, but he begins the season in EST.

Malinowski struck out a guy an inning as a 19 year old in GCL and did basically the same as a 20 year in E-town. He had 2.01 ERA in the bullpen.

He's from Minnesota and he's 21. My head is full of questions to not see him on.

Have you seen him pitch? Does he has an attitude problem, something wrong with his delivery?

Its possible there is information on
    Malinowski I don't have. But to leave him off the roster while non prospect guys like like Powell or Muren repeat makes no sense.

Is it possible the Malinowski family bought a car from Mauer Chev, had some problems, filed a complaint with the BBB and now he is being punished?

Last edited by clutterheart; 03-30-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do we know the order of the rotation?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tweeted by Kernels play by play guy, Morgan Hawk:

Morgan Hawk@Morgan_Hawk57 mins@CRKernels rotation for opening series with the @LumberKings: THUR: Aaron Slegers, FRI: Randy Rosario, SAT: Ryan Eades, SUN: Kohl Stewart

They have a travel day on Monday as they head to Great Lakes. Pitching coach Ivan Arteaga said last night they'd use a 5-man rotation the first couple weeks with the fifth and sixth starters (Jorge and Sulbaran) piggy-backing to split game 5.

Of course, with the weather forecast for Thursday and Friday in CR, this is all very much "tentative."

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wish I could be there for Opening Weekend again this year!! I'll have to find a four-five game home stand in June to get to!

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wish I could be there for Opening Weekend again this year!! I'll have to find a four-five game home stand in June to get to!
    The way things are looking, you might have been able to see the entire 4 game series by getting here Saturday morning. Thursday looks like rain/low 40s. Friday looks like rain-snow/upper 30s.

Since Clinton doesn't return to CR again in the first half of the season, they'll likely try to do whatever they can to get all 4 games played. Otherwise, they'd probably have to play postponed games at Clinton in a few weeks.

Hope you can make it down here at some point.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12