Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Article: #Hangout and Talk Twins (4/1)

  1. #1
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178

    Article: #Hangout and Talk Twins (4/1)


  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    548
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    I'm excited about the Fort Myer Miracle this year. How many true potential MLBers do you see on this squad? Legitimate chance to make it or whom you see making it?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    548
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Do you believe in the clutch gene? How about Adam Brett Walker hitting a HR on the first pitch he saw in his only Spring Training Call Up (MLB) this past Saturday. He then follows that up with a Double and 3 apparent successful fielding plays in RF. Announcer said the ball went over the simulated Monster out the Stadium at Jet Blue Park.

    *Game tying HR in Appy League Championship 2012
    *3 Grand Slams in 2013 and 9-12 with bases loaded
    *HR and Double to spark comeback in first MLB action
    HE JUST WINS

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I'm excited about the Fort Myer Miracle this year. How many true potential MLBers do you see on this squad? Legitimate chance to make it or whom you see making it?
    Very good point. I think there are a lot of big leaguers in the roster. Consider, if Byron Buxton plays several games with the Miracle before moving up to New Britain, they could have this lineup:

    Byron Buxton CF
    Jorge Polanco 2B
    Max Kepler LF
    Adam Walker RF
    Dalton Hicks 1B
    Travis Harrison 3B
    Stuart Turner C
    Niko Goodrum SS
    Lance Ray/JD Williams DH

    No less than 8 of those guys have the potential to play in the big leagues.

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Do you believe in the clutch gene? How about Adam Brett Walker hitting a HR on the first pitch he saw in his only Spring Training Call Up (MLB) this past Saturday. He then follows that up with a Double and 3 apparent successful fielding plays in RF. Announcer said the ball went over the simulated Monster out the Stadium at Jet Blue Park.

    *Game tying HR in Appy League Championship 2012
    *3 Grand Slams in 2013 and 9-12 with bases loaded
    *HR and Double to spark comeback in first MLB action
    HE JUST WINS

    No, I don't believe in the Clutch Gene, but I do believe in Adam Walker and his power!

  6. #6
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Oops! These questions are supposed to be answered on tonight's show... hey, maybe I'll change my mind by then... But, we'll still let Jeremy answer them and see what he thinks!

  7. #7
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Sometimes Seth just gets too excited. I have my own opinions, which I will express tonight.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Did we ever figure out what the H is going on with Rosario?
    Is this drug test failure then subsequent AWOL something we should be worried about long term? Or is it something as simple as miscommunication between either him and the team, or the team and the media?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    288
    Like
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No, I don't believe in the Clutch Gene, but I do believe in Adam Walker and his power!
    I agree that there is no clutch gene but do acknowledge that there are players that choke. Clutch to me means a player performs to his capabilities under pressure. That doesn't mean he won't strike out against Rivera but that his odds of pouncing on a mistake by Rivera are the same as they would be in a less tense situation. Puckett's and Jeter's (as well as Mauer by the way) stats in late close or tied games and in the playoffs are similar (but less probably due to better pitchers late) to their career stats overall but they were both really good hitters. One would think from all the comments in the Strib article that Kirby got a hit in every clutch situation especially the World Series. Does anyone remember how close that series was? Every at bat was a high pressure clutch situation. Kirby didn't hit .500 that series where everyone thinks he put them on his back. He hit .250. But Liebrandt hung a slider and Puckett owned the Series. This isn't to take anything away from Puckett. He was awesome. Just to put things into perspective. I think its awesome that Walker can perform well under pressure but if he is truly taking it up a notch then it begs the question of why can't he hit that well all the time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,369
    Like
    1,324
    Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Did we ever figure out what the H is going on with Rosario?
    Is this drug test failure then subsequent AWOL something we should be worried about long term? Or is it something as simple as miscommunication between either him and the team, or the team and the media?
    I think he and his agent have communicated with the team. He had what amounted to an "excused absence" on reporting late to ST (and ultimately didn't report at all).

    Now he is serving his suspension. I think the team is willing to keep what is going on private and simply has not said much to the media. That's their prerogative. I don't see any miscommunication.

    But maybe Seth and Jeremy have another viewpoint.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Sometimes Seth just gets too excited. I have my own opinions, which I will express tonight.
    I LOVE answering prospect questions... and thinking about that Miracle lineup... I had no chance to ignore that for long!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Very good point. I think there are a lot of big leaguers in the roster. Consider, if Byron Buxton plays several games with the Miracle before moving up to New Britain, they could have this lineup:

    Byron Buxton CF
    Jorge Polanco 2B
    Max Kepler LF
    Adam Walker RF
    Dalton Hicks 1B
    Travis Harrison 3B
    Stuart Turner C
    Niko Goodrum SS
    Lance Ray/JD Williams DH

    No less than 8 of those guys have the potential to play in the big leagues.
    Seth probably has forgotten more about baseball than what I know, but I follow and love my Twins minor leaguers.......my two bits for what it is worth LOL is

    Buxton- OH YEA!!!!
    Polanco and Hicks - I personally say NO, but I hope all prospects do well.
    Kepler and Walker- Love Walkers power and Kepler looks smooth, I think one or both make it, but will not be star players.
    Harrison-for some reason is my favorite minor leaguer , well other than Buxton lol
    Goodrum- I don't see him making it to or past AA.
    JD Williams, Lance Ray, Stuart Turner- Know to little about these guys to make a semi educated guess.

    At Ft Myers, I really like Melotakis and Gilbert to make a splash at the big league level at some point. (not this yr)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    548
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    If Hicks has a solid year - will it be because:
    A) He was sent down to AAA last year in latter part of season?
    B) He decided not to play Winter Ball and give his body and mind a rest?
    C) He had his trial by fire at the beginning of 2013 and learned from it?
    D) There are no other options
    Leading to my next question - Is failure based on trial by fire always a bad thing if the prospect knows it is a more likely probability? Learn from it and grow from your mistakes. Especially if your team is already bad to begin with. (Not the Twins in 2014, but definitely in 2013)

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I think he and his agent have communicated with the team. He had what amounted to an "excused absence" on reporting late to ST (and ultimately didn't report at all).

    Now he is serving his suspension. I think the team is willing to keep what is going on private and simply has not said much to the media. That's their prerogative. I don't see any miscommunication.

    But maybe Seth and Jeremy have another viewpoint.
    That has me worried. I was hoping it WAS as simple as a miscommunication. I knew he had an excused absence for reporting late, but thats something completely different than not reporting at all.
    Its hard for me to think of any non controversial reason, of the top of my head, that "go ahead and take a couple of days" would suddenly turn into "we'll see you in june".
    The fact that he was allowed, under the rules, to participate in ST, but chose or was told not to, seems like a pretty big deal, and a major red flag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.