Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yangervis Solarte makes the Yankees

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yangervis Solarte makes the Yankees

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1739292

Solarte beats out 4-year veteran Eduardo Nunez for a spot on the opening day roster. I'm not sure if this is a worse reflection on the condition of the Twins or the Yankees?

Solarte was inexplicably waived outright by the Twins in 2011 at age 23, after slashing .329/.367/.466/.834 at New Britain. He followed that up with respectable years in AAA with the Rangers, OPSing at .745 and .727. He's been on fire this spring, playing in 24 games and slashing .424/.489/.571/.1067.

Interesting quotes from Girardi....Solarte could have opted out if he didn't make the team, he apparently forced Girardi's hand, offering more flexibility and just plain beat out a 4 year Yankee for a spot.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-29-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Solarte spent 6 years in the Twins system. As a 6 year minor league player don't they have the option to be free agents?
    Great hitting but it is Spring training stats. As the number of at bats is close to the number of games played I would suspect he has hit mostly late in games.
    Nunez did not hit well and can not field well. It wasn't hard to beat outt if Solarte can do both better. If the Yankees had any faith in Nunez they wouldn't have given Solarte a contract. It should not come as too big of shock that he made the team. If at the end of the year he hass an OPSS over .700 I would be amazed.

on the other hand, he might be an improvement over some Twins. Don't know, but some of thee bright people posting from the East Coast might know if there is a big hole in his swing. I know, I know, it seems like the bench for the Twins hole in their swing is the size of a strike zone.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, he became a minor league free agent and the Twins weren't willing to add him to the 40 man roster. I know they wanted to bring him back on a minor league deal but he chose Texas.

That big year with New Britain was interesting but it was really the first year he put up any numbers and stayed healthy.

Also, he doesn't walk, doesn't have much power, doesn't have much speed and was really bad defensively too.

I think UT's great that he had a big spring and made the Yankees opening day roster. That said, the Twins were kind of proven right in their decision.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Yeah I remember that, as Seth said he was a six year free agent, and without a 40 man spot he decided to try he's luck elsewhere. His lost was a slight bummer, but as is the case with 98% of these players it will have no negative impact on the Twins. In fact we essentially replaced him with Wilkin Ramirez, who can play better defense, is a club house leader, spanish translator for teammates, a future coach, and has played more MLB games than Solarte thus far. We can get upset about the Bensons, Solartes, and other guys who still have value but over the past 15 years there has only been 3 guys I'm upset the Twins just "Let go" out of hundreds of players that were waved or released.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Yes, he became a minor league free agent and the Twins weren't willing to add him to the 40 man roster. I know they wanted to bring him back on a minor league deal but he chose Texas.

That big year with New Britain was interesting but it was really the first year he put up any numbers and stayed healthy.

Also, he doesn't walk, doesn't have much power, doesn't have much speed and was really bad defensively too.

I think UT's great that he had a big spring and made the Yankees opening day roster. That said, the Twins were kind of proven right in their decision.
    I hated that move when it happened.

I remember that you also were a bit surprised when he left,:

For a team that has struggled with middle infield development, it’s hard to believe that Solarte would not have been added to the 40 man roster before becoming a free agent.
    And after his last year (2011) with the Twins you had him as the 6th best hitter, in the system just behind Sano and well ahead of Parmelee and Arcia among others.

Forget about his teen seasons in Foreign Rookie leagues and in the GCL, but a career .315/.349/.452 line over 152 games in AA is pretty darn good for a middle infielder. Heck, it is better than most of the Twins' MiLB OFs have had.

Hard move to justify, especially in a team that the last 3 seasons had the likes of Clete Thomas, Doug Bernier, Matt Carson, Erik Komatsu, Sean Burroughs, Matt Tolbert, Jason Repko, Brian Dinkelman & Co on the 40- and 25-man rosters some time. And I am not even going to touch their pitchers.

Glad to see that he made the Yankees (Neshek made the Cardinals and Manship made the Phillies rotation btw; the latter saying more about the sorry state of the Phillies and not about Manship)

And in 2014, he might look better in a Twins' uniform as a super utility guy instead on the ghost of Bartlett's past...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Is he a clubhouse chemist though?

8. This user likes KirbyHawk75's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I hated that move when it happened.

I remember that you also were a bit surprised when he left,:

And after his last year (2011) with the Twins you had him as the 6th best hitter, in the system just behind Sano and well ahead of Parmelee and Arcia among others.

Forget about his teen seasons in Foreign Rookie leagues and in the GCL, but a career .315/.349/.452 line over 152 games in AA is pretty darn good for a middle infielder. Heck, it is better than most of the Twins' MiLB OFs have had.

Hard move to justify, especially in a team that the last 3 seasons had the likes of Clete Thomas, Doug Bernier, Matt Carson, Erik Komatsu, Sean Burroughs, Matt Tolbert, Jason Repko, Brian Dinkelman & Co on the 40- and 25-man rosters some time. And I am not even going to touch their pitchers.

Glad to see that he made the Yankees (Neshek made the Cardinals and Manship made the Phillies rotation btw; the latter saying more about the sorry state of the Phillies and not about Manship)

And in 2014, he might look better in a Twins' uniform as a super utility guy instead on the ghost of Bartlett's past...
    Good research on the history surrounding Solarte's departure, it always pains me too when MIs who show signs of life at the plate are summarily dismissed- as hitting talent seems in much shorter supply than fielding talent. And what was left in the upper minors for MIs in the aftermath of being let go???- besides signing many of the guys you listed above as minor league FAs? Literally as Solarte was being released and signing with Texas in December 2011, the Twins claimed a 6+ year minor leaguer in Florimon, and then traded for Escobar the following summer. Brian Dozier had a breakout year in A+ and AA in 2011- the same year as Solarte's breakout season, thus apparently convincing the Twins FO that they could live with only one bat out of 3 (4 actually, counting Carroll for 2012 and most of 2013) in the MIF by 2013.

And yeah, your concluding sentence was what I was reflecting on given the current state of affairs with the Twins opening day roster. Twins management flatly said they needed to upgrade the offense the entire offseason, and then settled for giving spots to at least 2 guys who may be entirely washed up. And I think it's totally right what Seth said about the suspect areas of Solarte's talents in the field that might have given the Twins pause on choosing to protect him after 2011, but if Seth really rated him 6th best and above Arcia and Parmelee, well....ouch! I'm not sure who they chose to protect that year, instead, it certainly didn't need to be Dozier, only 3 years with the Twins farm system.

But in the end, the promotion of someone as obscure as Solarte to the Yankees major league roster, says just as much, or more, about their own current situation.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-30-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    SHOULDA
    WOULDA
    COULDA

You guys are masochists.

I regret Ortiz, buit that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Good research on the history surrounding Solarte's departure, it always pains me too when MIs who show signs of life at the plate are summarily dismissed- as hitting talent seems in much shorter supply than fielding talent. And what was left in the upper minors for MIs in the aftermath of being let go???- besides signing many of the guys you listed above as minor league FAs? Literally as Solarte was being released and signing with Texas in December 2011, the Twins claimed a 6+ year minor leaguer in Florimon, and then traded for Escobar the following summer. Brian Dozier had a breakout year in A+ and AA in 2011- the same year as Solarte's breakout season, thus apparently convincing the Twins FO that they could live with only one bat out of 3 (4 actually, counting Carroll for 2012 and most of 2013) in the MIF by 2013.

And yeah, your concluding sentence was what I was reflecting on given the current state of affairs with the Twins opening day roster. Twins management flatly said they needed to upgrade the offense the entire offseason, and then settled for giving spots to at least 2 guys who may be entirely washed up. And I think it's totally right what Seth said about the suspect areas of Solarte's talents in the field that might have given the Twins pause on choosing to protect him after 2011, but if Seth really rated him 6th best and above Arcia and Parmelee, well....ouch! I'm not sure who they chose to protect that year, instead, it certainly didn't need to be Dozier, only 3 years with the Twins farm system.

But in the end, the promotion of someone as obscure as Solarte to the Yankees major league roster, says just as much, or more, about their own current situation.
    Oh how fickle it is to be a prospect
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Yup, I questioned it at the time, but the Twins proved correct in not adding him based on how much he's done in those three years since he left the organization.

Those numbers that year were great, no question.

Oh, and Arcia had only played in the GCL at that time, so I don't feel too bad about that ranking.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

Nunez DFA'd

http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2014/0...eball+Daily%29

Apparently, Eduardo Nunez didn't take the idea of demotion from the Yankees too well, especially in favor of the likes of Solarte. The two sides have unexpectedly up and parted ways.

If the Twins are looking for a fiery clubhouse presence from a MI UTIL with a decent bat and mediocre glove, but definitely with something to prove, is this the right time to put a claim in on the 26 year old Nunez?
    Last edited by jokin; 04-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins are looking for a fiery clubhouse presence from a MI UTIL witha decent bat and mediocre glove, but definitely with something to prove, is this the right time to put a claim in on the 26 year old Nunez?
    Yesterday was the time to do that... A total no-brainer. Major improvement over Florimon and I am not even going to talk about Bartlett here.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Per ESPN:
    Solarte's 3 hits lead Yankees over Astros

Kelly Johnson must be looking over his shoulder, as Yangervis Solarte goes 3 for 3, reaching base 4 times with a base on balls and including a double for one of his 3 hits. Solarte was playing at Third Base in his first major league start. Solarte scored 2 runs and drove in another, batting in the 9 spot.

Despite reports to the contrary, Solarte continued his strong defensive play from Spring Training that had Manager Joe Girardi raving, snaring a bullet down the line off the bat of Jose Altuve, putting an end to an Astros rally attempt in the 8th inning. Solarte and Ichiro combined for 5 of the 7 Yankees hits in leading the Yankees to their first victory of the season, 4-2 over the Astros. (Alex Presley was 1 for 4 in his 2nd game for Houston).

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340403118
    Last edited by jokin; 04-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I tweeted the 3-3 day for Solarte... and my friend Cory Hepola (who works for CSN Houston) responded to me with the following:

re: Solarte... his 2B should've been caught: Grossman ran it down but missed it... & his final 1B was a misplayed popup at mound
    Oh well, they all count.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I tweeted the 3-3 day for Solarte... and my friend Cory Hepola (who works for CSN Houston) responded to me with the following:

Oh well, they all count.
    Did he make an excuse for his defensive gem at 3B?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

Yankees 7, Blue Jays 3: Masahiro Tanaka, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Yangervis Solarte shine in Tanaka's debut

"While Tanaka lived up to expectations by going 7 strong innings, the stars of the show on offense were undoubtedly Jacoby Ellsbury and Yangervis Solarte- who cracked 2 doubles in his 2nd consecutive start."

"Mark Teixeira went down with a hamstring injury that won't be tested until Monday. That almost certainly means that Johnson will be playing first for the remainder of the series. Can't complain about that too much, as Solarte has more than earned more playing time."

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankee...eixeira-injury

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Did he make an excuse for his defensive gem at 3B?
    So yeah, it was a line drive hit right at him, about chest high. Not sure I'd put that in the top ten web gems. Also if you want to call the leadoff guy in the eighth a "rally" be my guest

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I blogged about Yangervis last year, comparing the potential of he and Dozier. Dozier seems to have come through, but not keeping Solarte around was dumb. I still think he could be a good semi-regular utility player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    The only unfortunate thing about losing Yangervis Alfredo Solarte is that his name is cool. These regrets about losing him will seem as silly as last year's 'Eduardo Escobar should be starting at SS because he's a couple years younger and has more upside' arguments.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast