Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Ramos to miss 4-8 weeks

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wilson Ramos to miss 4-8 weeks

The Washington post reports Wilson Ramos to miss 4-8 weeks after surgery on his wrist.
    1) is the time right to trade Zuke back to the Nats?

2) was the Caps trade really that bad after all?

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had thoughts of an April Fools thread on this topic, but thought better of it...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    was the Caps trade really that bad after all?
    Regardless of Ramos' career path...it was incredibly poor value at the time.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's kind of impossible to say if someone is going to get injured that much. It turns out that the trade wasn't soooo bad, but it's still bad. This guy makes Joe Mauer look tough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Capps was a complete non-factor in 2010, and we wound up paying him almost $13 mil for 2 rWAR / 0.3 fWAR over 2 1/3 seasons.

Ramos has so far given the Nats 4.9 rWAR / 5.5 fWAR over three seasons at league minimum salary. And they still control him for 2 more seasons after this one (which will probably be discounted too, thanks to the injury). He's remained a very good player throughout his injuries so far, and he's still a very valuable asset.

And don't forget that Ramos' healthiest and most productive season to date was 2011, the year Mauer's injury exposed some of the worst positional depth in modern MLB history (which played no small role in getting our GM "reassigned" -- that might be the only silver lining on this cloud).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    It's kind of impossible to say if someone is going to get injured that much. It turns out that the trade wasn't soooo bad, but it's still bad. This guy makes Joe Mauer look tough.
    Getting hurt has nothing to do with "toughness". It happens. Hamate fractures (like what Ramos has) are commonplace in baseball. It happens.

I guess Adrian Peterson is not as tough as Joe Mauer because of all the knee problems then, using the same logic...

Hope that Ramos recovers quickly. He is a good guy and has been through a lot already including a kidnapping and deserves a break.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. These 3 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-01-2014), diehardtwinsfan (04-02-2014), Tibs (04-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    To be fair, Ramos has caught more games than Mauer the past three seasons... just without the other games at 1B/DH.

And the extent of his missed time thus fair seemed to be knee surgery in 2012, and I suspected his hamstring issues in 2013 could have been related to working his way back. Not sure what's up with the wrist this year, though.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Is this the correct forum for this?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    It wasn't that bad. It was a win-now trade and it was defensible. People tend to forget that Ramos' stock was dropping at the time of the trade (he fell on BA's top 100 list from 58 to 96). He was posting a sub .300 OBP at AAA and had a history of injuries. The concern was that he might be another Miguel Olivo. Sickels wrote "I like [Ramos], but not enough to pan the trade from Minnesota's point of view; I think it is fair for both teams. In my Shadow Twins universe, I will make this trade." Manual and Callis also wrote similar things at the time.

The injury concern has certainly remained. He's been on the DL every year of his career - minor leagues included. He had an ok 2011 season but both his 2012 and 2013 seasons were wrecked by injuries (103 games combined). He's had pretty big OBP problems in the majors, posting a sub .300 OBP except when he's batting 8th in an NL lineup. I also think we tend to overrate him. His best year - 2011 - was also Mauer's worst and they were basically equal value (1.8 rWAR v 1.5).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still don't have that big of a problem with trading for Capps when they did. I have a problem with trading a young guy at low ebb and I have a problem with re-signing Capps the next year.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Yes.

Ramos has been hurt a lot, but they're mostly freak injuries, not chronic injuries. It's unfortunate for him and the Nats but nothing that could have been predicted. David Ortiz had this same injury and he's turned out OK.

The Twins had Matt Capps already in Jon Rauch, and they didn't realize it because Capps had a few Saves on his record.

I just don't like the idea of trading position players for non-elite relievers.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just as the Twins should make the May/Worley trade 11 times out of 10, the Nationals should make the Ramos trade 11 times out of 10.

One can't predict injury but that's a roll of the dice you take every time because the upside of Ramos was so much higher than the upside of Capps.

So it didn't work out amazingly well for the Nationals because Ramos can't stay on the field. Big deal. It was a smart move for the Nationals and a dumb move for the Twins.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The twins shouldn't make the Worley trade, they should scout better and get value. You could have made the Worley trade. They are paid to do better. As for Ramos, he has been more valuable than Capps, and he will be in the league when Capps is out of it. There is no way to like that trade.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The twins shouldn't make the Worley trade, they should scout better and get value. You could have made the Worley trade. They are paid to do better. As for Ramos, he has been more valuable than Capps, and he will be in the league when Capps is out of it. There is no way to like that trade.
    Worley wasn't the only guy in the trade. He wasn't even the centerpiece of the trade.

The point is that if you have a limited upside guy (Matt Capps, Ben Revere) and are offered someone with higher upside in return (Trevor May, Wilson Ramos), you make that trade 100% of the time and roll the dice on health/improvement from that upside player.

As for Worley, the Twins needed warm bodies who could pitch in the major leagues. Should they have scouted Worley a little more thoroughly? Absolutely... But nobody expected the kind of implosion we saw from him. Not after two productive seasons in a small ballpark, not at age 25.

16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (04-02-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In 2013 at age 25 he hit 16 HR in 78 games. I didn't realize that.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Regardless of Ramos' career path...it was incredibly poor value at the time.
    This. All speculation of what might have been if we had not made that trade becomes counter-factual. Maybe he stays helathy and becomes a fixture behind the plate allowing Mauer to move to third base two years ago. Who knows?

You have to evaluate the merits of the trade at the time. You never trade a top catching prospect for a reliever. Ever. Unfortunately, the Twins have done it twice (Wynager for Davis).
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Actually, many experts hated the trade at the time, stating Worley was lucky, and May would be a reliever. So it isn't nobody. As I said at the time, it is the kind of trade they should make, but we all knew that......the only way to judge if they should keep their jobs is if these trades work or not. Any one of us could have made that trade.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Actually, many experts hated the trade at the time, stating Worley was lucky, and May would be a reliever. So it isn't nobody. As I said at the time, it is the kind of trade they should make, but we all knew that......the only way to judge if they should keep their jobs is if these trades work or not. Any one of us could have made that trade.
    And the same applies to the Ramos trade from the Nationals standpoint. Both were no-brainers from one perspective, completely baffling from the other.

Senior Member MVP
    Agree on Ramos. Awful, awful, trade. And, from the Nationals side, Ramos has already given them more value than Capps. And they still have him. I love win now trades when your team is really good, but that was not the case. But we see quite clearly that Gardy loves proven veterans. I do no know how that could not be more clear after this spring.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    The Capps trade was a win-now trade. The Twins traded 6+ years of Ramos for a year and a half of Capps. So obviously the longterm value was likely to be Ramos (although their value over the 1.5 years was basically equal). That's just the reality of win-now trades and those were the type of trades fans were clamoring for Ryan to do when he was GM and he rarely did. The Twins had lost 10 games in the standings in a month and their pitching was nosediving. It was a fair trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast