Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Lewis Thorpe 2014

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lewis Thorpe 2014

Lewis Thorpe, LHP
    Born: November 23, 1995 in Melbourne, Australia
    Listed at 6' 1" and 160 pounds, though I'm not sure that data is accurate.

Thorpe was signed in the international market at the age of 16 for $500k. He will turn 18 this November and after a fantastic rookie league season in the GCL, he has started to get national attention from prospect watchers. His GCL season looked more like a video game, posting a K/9 ratio greater than 13 and a BB/9 ratio of 1.2. Unlike some of the other Twins pitching prospects, he was not promoted to Elizabethon, due in large part to the fact that he was still in high school.

He went on this winter and pitched in the Australian winter league. While the league isn't known for it's competition, it should be noted that many of the guys he faced and played with have succeeded at higher levels. He pitched 36.2 innings and struck out 30 batters. He gave up 34 hits, walked 10 hitters, and finished with an ERA well under 3.

If Thorpe was a US citizen, he would be eligible for the draft this June, and some scouts have indicated that he would be a first round pick. Instead, he opens the season for the Twins in extended spring training and will either be sent to Cedar Rapids or Elizabethon.

Blog Entries
    FYI, still in EST.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Is Lewis still in EST?
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Blog Entries
    yes.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    How about now?

Blog Entries
    Thorpe was promoted to Cedar Rapids yesterday. Not sure when he will get his next start.

Blog Entries
    Thorpe's Midwest league debut was rather forgettable. He surrendered 5 runs in 4 2/3 with a single K and 3 BB.

Blog Entries
    Thorpe was a bit better today but still did not pitch well. 4 innings, 2 runs, 1K, 4 BB, 3 hits... no sign of the control he had in rookie ball last season.

Blog Entries
    Thorpe picked up his first win in Cedar Rapids this weekend, though he's yet to really pitch a decent game yet. Through 4 starts he's sporting a 6.5 ERA. He's walked 10 as well and has only 7 Ks to show for it. He is the youngest player in the MWL by a pretty significant margin (with the next youngest being Kohl Stewart), but so far, he hasn't impressed.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Thorpe picked up his first win in Cedar Rapids this weekend, though he's yet to really pitch a decent game yet. Through 4 starts he's sporting a 6.5 ERA. He's walked 10 as well and has only 7 Ks to show for it. He is the youngest player in the MWL by a pretty significant margin (with the next youngest being Kohl Stewart), but so far, he hasn't impressed.
    Not terribly surprising. The guy is insanely young for the MWL. He's a whopping four years younger than the average MWL player according to BB-Ref.

It's a bit disappointing but nothing to get worried about, IMO.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Seth wrote in his report of Friday night's game, Thorpe actually threw quite well in his win. Certainly better than his numbers. He gave up just a solo HR in his first 5 innings of work and was victimized by a crazy high hop over his first baseman's head in the 5th that kept him from completing that inning without further runs.

He mixed his pitches well and had added a couple mph to his fastball over prior starts. Both Jake Mauer and Ivan Arteaga were very happy with Thorpe's start.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Not terribly surprising. The guy is insanely young for the MWL. He's a whopping four years younger than the average MWL player according to BB-Ref.

It's a bit disappointing but nothing to get worried about, IMO.
    Agreed. I'm a bit concerned about the drop in Ks and increase in walks though.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Agreed. I'm a bit concerned about the drop in Ks and increase in walks though.
    Understandable. But I'm not the least bit worried.

I know it's low A, but still, the kid is only 18 and won't be 19 until near the end of November. Most kids his age would be in Elizabethton if not the GCL. Even forgetting the OK but probably slightly lower level of quality of baseball in his native Australia, plus making all the transitions he's had to make, it makes what he did last season all the more impressive.

So now, despite his age and experience, he's at CR, where I think he should be, making the adjustments, and building on each start until his latest and best and first win. And I think Mauer and Arteaga are a great support system. Crazy young, as Brock pointed out, and should be a HS senior now getting ready for the draft, or just drafted, and already in the MWL. Hugely talented, patience required. What a steal! And kind of crazy he and Stewart are the two youngest players in the league. Just think about his new teammate in Burdi, a 20 something Junior out of college. He might end up being a fast tracker, but just that Thorpe is playing with and against kids 3-4 years older already. Wow!

I agree with all the level-headiness in this thread. I am usually a doom and gloomer but for Thorpe being so young for his level, I think you just want to see improvement, which we have. The dip in stats, I would think, has to be do to the level of competition. These guys are going to be better at laying off the edges and such. Thorpe will gradually figure it out and start killing the competition again while seeing his walks drop and K's increase....I hope. Maybe Fort Meyers middle of next year?

Blog Entries
    Well, unless something clicks, I see him staying in the MWL next season... Still lots of time to change that though.

Blog Entries
    Thorpe looked more like what we'd hoped we would see. He didn't go 5 innings, but 4.2 with 8Ks, 1 BB, 5 hits, and one unearned run is a pretty good day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Looks like he is now on an 80-pitch limit like Meyers.