Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jose Berrios - 2014

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthDakotaTwinsFan View Post
    Berrios pitched a one hit complete came with 13 strikeouts yesterday. Zero walks, went to a three ball count just once.
    http://www.news-press.com/story/spor...nkees/9852703/

On the season he is 5-2 with a 2.24 ERA. He's given up 2 HR. 65K/17BB. 10.4 K/9, 1.172 WHIP.

I hope to see him at double A this season.
    My apologies for not updating more. I'll work on it.
    In July, if his ERA is sub 2.75 and is striking out guys at a clip of one an inning or more, I would bring him up. Not a huge rush though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Remember how negative posters were when they drafted him?

3. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Remember how negative posters were when they drafted him?
    I don't remember that being the case at all. I know I liked the pick, and believe many others did as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthDakotaTwinsFan View Post
    Berrios pitched a one hit complete came with 13 strikeouts yesterday. Zero walks, went to a three ball count just once.
    http://www.news-press.com/story/spor...nkees/9852703/

On the season he is 5-2 with a 2.24 ERA. He's given up 2 HR. 65K/17BB. 10.4 K/9, 1.172 WHIP.

I hope to see him at double A this season.
    My apologies for not updating more. I'll work on it.
    If he remains as dominating as his last start or close to it for several starts he'll have to get promoted. But I am not pushing the issue until the last month of the season. We have a lot of timeavailable for him to grow. There's no reason to push him. though if he goes to AA at the allstar break he may be in the competition for a rotation spot next spring. That's a fast track. I'll really be surprised if he beats Buxton to the bigs.

6. This user likes Brandon's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If he remains as dominating as his last start or close to it for several starts he'll have to get promoted. But I am not pushing the issue until the last month of the season. We have a lot of timeavailable for him to grow. There's no reason to push him. though if he goes to AA at the allstar break he may be in the competition for a rotation spot next spring. That's a fast track. I'll really be surprised if he beats Buxton to the bigs.
    I figure he has at least 5 more A+ starts. If he's still killing it like this at the end of the month, he forces their hand.

Berrios pitched 8 innings last night. He gave up 3 runs (2 earned), on 8 hits with 9K's and no walks. This was the first outing he had in which he pitched more than seven innings. Sounded like some bad luck in the 8th, was cruising through seven.

http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.c....html?nav=5015

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there were initial concerns, as he doesn't quite fit 'the picture' of today's 6'3+" 220+ thoroughbred pitchers.

I kinda figured he'd 'compete' his way up the ladder at a much slower pace. He seems to have that drive and humility but is a bit shorter and he is might not throw as hard as those aforementioned thoroughbreds.

But, he seems to have not only that moxy/compete (sometimes just become throwers) in him but can really pitch. Exciting to see. I'd agree with a previous poster, still would be surprised if he beat Buxton to the bigs. But it's becoming more of a coin toss now.

10. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    There are a lot guys pitching well in A+ right now and they are older than Berrios so my guess would be he isn't the first one moved to AA. Also last year as the innings pitched grew higher his ERA grew higher as well. If I had to guess I would say they keep him at high A this year and move him to AA next spring. He seems to have figured some things out as he is really pitching well and has been consistent all year so far. He looks like a good one. Let's hope he stays healthy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Sometimes great things come in small packages. Guidry was 5'11", Santana 6', and Flash Gordon was only 5'9".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    There are a lot guys pitching well in A+ right now and they are older than Berrios so my guess would be he isn't the first one moved to AA. Also last year as the innings pitched grew higher his ERA grew higher as well. If I had to guess I would say they keep him at high A this year and move him to AA next spring. He seems to have figured some things out as he is really pitching well and has been consistent all year so far. He looks like a good one. Let's hope he stays healthy.
    I was going to say the same thing. He definitely fell off at the end of last year. I think leaving him at High A the rest of this year would be fine. Let him start clean in AA next year after resting for the offseason. There's no reason to rush him. If he lights up AA the way he's lit up High - A I look for a promotion to AAA mid 2015 and see him in the mix for a rotation spot in 2016.

Berrios threw another gem last Tuesday. 7 innings, one hit, 9 k's, 2 walks. He's making a pretty good case for promotion and has been dominant. In his last four starts, opponents are batting .146 against him. I'd say he's making a pretty strong case for a promotion.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=435595&spln=1

His next start is tonight against Charlotte.

Its been an active week for Berrios. On Monday he pitched 6 innings. Struck out 8, walked 1, hit one batter, and allowed one run on five hits.

He was also selected to represent the world in the All Star Futures game (along with Vargas and May).

He's been amazing and continues to dominate. Hard not to picture him moving up to AA this year.

Here's a good article on him from Twinkie Town http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/6/24...a-state-league

Berrios has been promoted to AA New Britain. This is a good sign from a franchise that is generally very conservative with prospects, particularly pitchers (see- May, Trevor).

He threw 6 innings on July 5t(h, allowing one run on six hits with one walk, one hit batter, and four strikeouts.

He ends his half season with Ft. Meyers with the following line:
    9W 3L, 1.96 ERA, 96.1 IP, 21 ER, 4HR, 109 K, 23 BB, 1.048 WHIP, 10.2 K/9

I hope his dream season continues. Rotoworld still projects him as a #3 starter. I'd take that. I could see him as a 2 if this continues. Hopefully he keeps this run up.

Berrios has pitched in two games so far at AA, with his second being much better than the first. In between those starts, he started the MLB futures game and pitched a really impressive scoreless first inning.

In his first AA start, Berrios struggled a bit. He needed 98 pitches to complete 5 innings, giving up 5 runs on 5 hits and walking three.

His second start went much better. He went 6 innings on 82 pitches, gave up 1 run on 4 hits (all singles), struck out 5 and walked zero.

His next start is tonight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12