Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Engelb Vielma - 2014

Engelb Vielma - 2014

Engelb Vielma, SS
    Born: 6/22/1994
    Listed at 5’11”, 151 lbs
    Bats: SH
    Throws: RH
    Signed out of Venezuela as a 17 year on September 8, 2011, Vielma spent his age 17 season playing in the DSL. In 157 AB’s, he hit .268/.354/.331 with 27 SO’s and 18 BB’s and 16 SB in 21 attempts. He played 35 games at SS and 6 at 2B with 18 E’s at SS and 0 at 2B. In 2013 he spent the bulk of his time playing in the GCL but had 6 games with the Elizabethton Twins in the Appy League. In total, he hit .234/.318/.253 in 154 AB’s totaling 30 SO’s to 16 BB’s. His SB totals were down with 8 in 11 attempts. He totaled 42 games at SS with 12 errors and 6 games at 3B with 2 E’s.
    Despite having played only 6 games at Elizabethton, he’s starting 2014 in full season A-ball playing for the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Based on reports, as I have not yet seen him myself, he’s touted as a plus defender with a strong arm, and a bat that is still developing.
    Phil Miller has a post regarding Vielma with comments from Radcliffe include, “He can really field. I mean, wow.” The full post can be found here:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...dazzles-twins/
    Vielma’s defense, “crazy nutty speed,” and “very strong arm” are also touted over at the Tenth Inning Stretch Blog, found here:
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.c...ort-myers.html
    And, while he was hard to find on most experts top Twin’s prospects lists, Keith Law had him at #11.

While not off to the fastest start in his first taste of full season ball Engelb Vielma, hitting 9th in the order, is sporting a .172/.200/.241. He does have 4 RBI as well as 1 SB and 1 CS. He has played all 8 games at SS and committed 2 throwing erros in his first game, but has had none since.
    I watched some of of the Kernels game on the old computer screen yesterday. He speed was evident, unfortunately I saw him field no grounders (Eades had only 4 GB outs) though he handled a pop up like a pro. He seems to lack much power and appears to be more of a slap ball hitter whose speed could be a great aid to his hitting. But time will tell what he develops on the offensive side.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    While not off to the fastest start in his first taste of full season ball Engelb Vielma, hitting 9th in the order, is sporting a .172/.200/.241. He does have 4 RBI as well as 1 SB and 1 CS. He has played all 8 games at SS and committed 2 throwing erros in his first game, but has had none since.
    I watched some of of the Kernels game on the old computer screen yesterday. He speed was evident, unfortunately I saw him field no grounders (Eades had only 4 GB outs) though he handled a pop up like a pro. He seems to lack much power and appears to be more of a slap ball hitter whose speed could be a great aid to his hitting. But time will tell what he develops on the offensive side.
    I would like a guy that would field and hit. We already have a guy that can field and hit .200 with no power

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    If you don't mind, where did you catch the game footage from?

I've looked at MiLB packages...but they seem to cover all AAA...some AA...and no A/A+. Would love to catch the Kernels & Miracle somehow.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I would like a guy that would field and hit. We already have a guy that can field and hit .200 with no power
    I agree. I'd want someone who can hit better...who wouldn't right?

It's important to realize, the guy is 19 years old. Miguel Cabrera, who along with Pujols, is probably this generation's best hitter hit only .268 as an 18 year old at A, and .274 at A+ as a 19 year old.

Power? He only had 7 HR in 422 AB at 18. Then 9 HR in 489 AB as a 19 year old.

So Vielma will hit around .280 with 25 HR if you compare him to Cabrera. Good enough for me.

What does this all mean? They're 18 and 19 years old. You can't really project much yet, especially as a hitter. Fielding, you can. That is with great accuracy, you can say a 18 year old may or may not be a gold glove fielder or has a cannon for an arm. However, with less accuracy can you predict what a hitter will hit.

Lewis Thorpe gained 50 lbs in less than 18 months. I went through the same growth spurt at 18.

Vielma is coming from a sparse diet to an MLB team who'll probably give him nutrition that will maximize his workouts. We won't know what kind of hitter he might be until about 1000 AB in the minors with at least 500+ of those coming against A+/AA or higher pitching.

Look at Niko Goodrum this year...could really be turning the corner, he's 22 at A+.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=goodru001car

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    If you don't mind, where did you catch the game footage from?

I've looked at MiLB packages...but they seem to cover all AAA...some AA...and no A/A+. Would love to catch the Kernels & Miracle somehow.
    I'm really sorry for the delayed reponse! I watched it through MiLB.com. It appears that the home games for the Great Lakes Loons are televised.