Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Note to Twins.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    Only 2 games back of the division lead and a wild card spot!

Teams blow good performances by a starting pitcher all the time, bad teams just do it more often.

How 'bout that Hicks fella eh?

2. These 4 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (04-03-2014), DocBauer (04-03-2014), glunn (04-03-2014), mike wants wins (04-03-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    The Twins had a win, but their All-Star Closer gave it up.
    It's unfortunate that it happened so soon, but that's Baseball.
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-03-2014 at 02:20 AM.

4. This user likes Highabove's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-03-2014)

People relax there is plenty of season left.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what is more depressing, the Twins or all our comments about the Twins. I think I'm going to take a break ... already.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    "What'd you expect, man?"
    The Spanish Inquisition.

8. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

deanlambrecht (04-03-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. We knew this team was going to be bad. The real question is whether it's 65 wins bad or 75 wins bad.

2. They've played two games. That is less than 1/80th of the season.

3. The Twins had this game in the bag and their All Star closer scuffled and then was let down by his defense. It happens. Whether it happens twice this season or once every two weeks will play out in time.

4. Two games.

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    I blame the Twins P.R. department. They should never have scheduled the Gardenhire 1,000th win celebration for 4/9.

2 wins in 7 (now 2 in 5) games to achieve that 1,000th win? Especially with the threat of weather-related cancellations?

Undue pressure. Never publicly schedule a celebration unless you know the event will happen. Why tempt the baseball fates?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I must agree with most posters--it's much too early to start complaining about baseball, there is almost 6 months remaining! We'll have lots of time for complaining. Look on the bright side: they had a lead going into the bottom of the 9th--and improvement over game #1. Two games, both competitively interesting.
    I agree with you. I am happy that at least we have had a chance to win each game going into the 8th or 9th inning. I am hoping to see more of that this year. While the wins are important to keep fans in the seats I am happy just to see Hicks, Kubel, Ploufe and CC hitting well and hopefully improving.

I just want to see the young guys have some decent success and the pitchers keep us in games. That is success enough for me this year.

12. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (04-03-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All I learned from yesterday's game was that Direct TV makes a quality remote, as mine was rather viciously spiked into the floor after Deduno uncorked the game losing pitch.

Other than that, I'd say two games is far too early to make any concrete statements about this team. Yup, it was a bad loss, but it doesn't set the tone for the season.

14. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (04-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    We all knew this was a pretty bad team?

I must have missed that in all the bullish predictions and the multiple threads feigning shock at all the "negativity"......
    Based on my memory of the projection threads, about 90% of people predicted they were 3-5 games better than last year. More people predicted same or worse than last year than predicted a .500 team.

I don't consider these bullish, that is like a 71 win team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    1. We knew this team was going to be bad. The real question is whether it's 65 wins bad or 75 wins bad.

2. They've played two games. That is less than 1/80th of the season.

3. The Twins had this game in the bag and their All Star closer scuffled and then was let down by his defense. It happens. Whether it happens twice this season or once every two weeks will play out in time.

4. Two games.
    Frankly, I am happier about Hicks having 4 hits and a BB in the first 2 games than I am upset about losing. His 3rd hit came on April 21st last year. It is more important for me that he gets off to a good start and gets his confidence up then we start 2-0 or 1-1. Perkins is going to close that game 9 times out of 10. In the grand scheme of things, how the young guys do is more important.

Arcia had a .735 OPS last year, he will figure it.

17. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (04-03-2014), Reider (04-05-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Based on my memory of the projection threads, about 90% of people predicted they were 3-5 games better than last year. More people predicted same or worse than last year than predicted a .500 team.

That sounds about right. Most people seem to think the team is between 69-74 wins. That's about where I'd put them, maybe on the lower end of that spectrum, in 70 win territory.

Really, I'm pretty positive about the start of this season. Plouffe and Hicks have looked pretty good, which goes a long way toward making this offense respectable. I'm not really worried about the pitching, either the rotation or the bullpen. Overall, the staff should be bad to mediocre, which is miles better than what we've seen in the past few years.

Overall, I think this team has the ability to be entirely mediocre if a few things go right for them... And that's enough for me right now.

But really, the rest of the team's performance has been overshadowed by Aaron Hicks' play in the first two games, which makes me very happy.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Frankly, I am happier about Hicks having 4 hits and a BB in the first 2 games than I am upset about losing.
    Hah, I just posted the same thing. I'm not worried about Perkins. Bad games happen. First outing of the year, cold weather, fastball was only hitting 91. That will change if he's healthy (and he appears to be healthy).

But the fact that Hicks looks competent at the plate is extremely encouraging.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Better get used to it, boys and girls. It's not getting any better.

Teams waste good pitching performances all the time. From real aces and perceived aces and non-aces. Perpetrated by Mariano Rivera and by Mike Trombley. It happens. Hopefully Hughes pitches well today, the young guys keep hitting and we can all move on. That's the beauty of baseball and exactly why I love it more than football. Tomorrow you can make everyone forget.

The Twins could very well lose 95 games again this year. But hey, maybe they won't. This game says next to nothing about it either way.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts

The bullish predictions have been about player performance - we have projections on this site of nearly 100% improvement from everyone on the roster between hitter projections, the starting pitching "having" to improve, etc. The only sobering take by any of the site's founders was largely met with criticism for being "too negative".

So yes, I'm a bit shocked by this reaction that "we all knew they were bad". Other than Nick Nelson - you all could've had me fooled on that. (And here is probably where we have distinctions about what one considers a "bad" team, but improving 10 wins doesn't seem like a negative outlook to me. That's an odd spin on that)

Either way, it's just two games. We're a few weeks/months away from knowing what this team is really about for certain.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Other than Nick Nelson - you all could've had me fooled on that.
    That's not really fair, Levi. I've never suggested the Twins were anything close to a .500 team. Our arguments have entirely boiled down to whether the Twins are a 65-68 or a 70-73 win team.

Neither of those options are good. Neither are even mediocre. Our arguments have boiled down to whether the team is bad or awful. I don't see an optimistic prediction in there anywhere.

And here is probably where we have distinctions about what one considers a "bad" team, but improving 10 wins doesn't seem like a negative outlook to me. That's an odd spin on that.
    The team spent $80-something million on pitching this offseason. Most of us are predicting a marginal "improvement" in that regard but only because they were so bloody awful last year that it doesn't take much to show improvement.

That's not an odd spin at all. The team is still bad, probably not as bad as last year. I don't consider that optimistic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be nice if we could have a thread without somebody blaming Gardy or team management from everything from players provided to management of the game to the post game spread. Everybody understands Gardy and management are not popular. So can we not bring it up on every thread....please? There is always the star tribune for that.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    The Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects that!!

For some weird reason,a majority of the games I went to last year had Correia starting. I always felt that he was more lucky than talented. Hopefully he'll be very very lucky this season!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I think you missed my point.
    The reason I point out that Correia is not an ace is because you are not going to get many starts like this from him, when you do you HAVE to find a way to win, especially if said start is against a bad team with a bad starting pitcher.
    Actually that was only a slightly better than average start for Correia. 6 innings, 3 runs, 2 earned. His ERA was only 4.18 last season. One run better than average.

You're not going to get 6 shutout innings from Correia very often, but this kind of performance is well within his reach to duplicate every other start or so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast