Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Politically incorrect

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Politically incorrect

A situation is unfolding that has the potential to create a major change to the personality of the Twins. To be clear, I happen to think this could be a very good thing, but it's not something that's easily discussed.

The following could have major roles (likely starters):

1B. Vargas -Puerto Rico
    2B. Rosario - Puerto Rico
    SS. Santana - Dominican Republic
    3B. Sano - Dominican Republic
    RF. Arcia - Venezuala
    C. Pinto - Venezuela

Six of eight fielders could soon be Latin. This could certainly have an impact on the quiet personality of our usual "Minnesota Nice" team. It will certainly require changes in the approach of field management.

None of this is bad, in my opinion, but I am surprised I haven't seen it discussed. It also isn't anything different than most other teams are finding.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The more likely scenario is that some of those guys will have major roles, and some will fizzle out, as is the nature of prospects. If your point is that there seems to be a nice infusion of Latin talent coming in, you're right, and that's probably a reflection of the team's increased emphasis on the international market, as well as the general direction of baseball as a whole.

I don't think this is some radical change. The Twins have frequently featured foreign talent -- it was the "Infield of Nations" that started their playoff run in 2002.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Not every Latin player is flamboyant like Yasiel Puig. The OP makes it seem like having Latin players is assumed to create a more boisterous and outspoken clubhouse.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

4. These 2 users like biggentleben's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-02-2014), jm3319 (04-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    This thread is a rorschach test. Not cool.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

6. These 2 users like Ultima Ratio's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-02-2014), USAFChief (04-03-2014)

Interesting thought. Let's hope all those guys pan out. As someone married to a Latina (Peruvian), speaking the language, and having done extensive travels in Latin America, I can say that most Latinos are that way for sure. Probably half or more of my friends are Latinos and there's rarely a dull moment. There are definitely exceptions and a variety of Latin people groups, but most are full of life, let's just say. Typically they are very proud of the way they are too. I think even more important than being boisterous though is that they are passionate. If they love doing something, they go after it!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    This thread is a rorschach test.
    If that's what you see it as.

9. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (04-03-2014), glunn (04-03-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-02-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    There will be a big improvement to the walk up music.

11. These 2 users like Highabove's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-03-2014), snepp (04-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Not every Latin player is flamboyant like Yasiel Puig. The OP makes it seem like having Latin players is assumed to create a more boisterous and outspoken clubhouse.
    They'd certainly make it more boisterous than it is now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Gardy brings his pall Ozzie Guillen in the fold so someone can talk to them in their native tongue.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I think what would change the nature of the Twins would be finding 6 of 8 fielders who can field and hit above major league average.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. These 5 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (04-03-2014), GCTF (04-03-2014), snepp (04-03-2014), tobi0040 (04-03-2014), UCLA_YANKEE_COLA (04-03-2014)