Thread: Article: Meeting the 2014 Cedar Rapids Kernels

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Meeting the 2014 Cedar Rapids Kernels

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Thanks, JC. I hope you have another great and entertaining year covering the Kernels.

No Parka pic? We have a winter storm warning for later today -- will try not to send it your direction but parkas sound advisable!

Andrew mentioned that the Rock Cats players had to scramble to look for housing. For the most part, that isn't the case in CR, right? Most live with host families?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't wait for better weather and vacation time to make the trek across the state to see the Kernals again this summer!

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks, JC. I hope you have another great and entertaining year covering the Kernels.

No Parka pic? We have a winter storm warning for later today -- will try not to send it your direction but parkas sound advisable!

Andrew mentioned that the Rock Cats players had to scramble to look for housing. For the most part, that isn't the case in CR, right? Most live with host families?
    There are a few parkas visible in a couple of those pictures, but it turned out that I took some pictures with my phone and some with my camera and the only ones with good pics of the parkas were on my phone, but the camera pics were easiest/quickest to get uploaded. So, yeah, write that off to me being lazy Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

You're right about the lodging situation in CR. The Kernels have a robust "host family" program under which any player who would like to be placed with a family can do so, without charge (the no-charge part is, from what I hear, a bit unique compared to a lot of other communities that have host family programs).

My understanding is that the Twins only cover a couple nights of hotel lodging upon arrival in town. The coordinator of CR's program was in Fort Myers last week meeting with players and attempting to make the best matches between families and players. (For example, he'd try to make sure players with limited English-speaking abilities get placed with bi-lingual hosts.)

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Here ya go JB. I sent this out via Twitter Tuesday. (Obviously, you need to start following me on Twitter!)

Looking at the weather forecast, I do think these guys are going to appreciate the parkas over the next 4 days in CR, as well as their road trip next week in to Michigan.

JimCrikket@JimCrikketApr 1Hard to tell these are baseball players pic.twitter.com/dx7OObuuOr

6:07 PM - 1 Apr 2014 · Details

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Thanks for the pic. We are under a winter storm warning for late this afternoon into tomorrow. We desperately need moisture but it would be so nice to have rain in stead of snow. Hope you get at least moderate temps.

I think I did see the photo somewhere but wasn't thinking about what I was seeing . I thought I had you on my Twitter list but I'll look again.

Players in CR are younger than NB generally so the host program is probably more beneficial there, too. Then they'll have the new dorm in FM if they want so that'll help ease things for them, too.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that baseball academy/dorm looks like it will be pretty sweet in Ft Myers.