Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/3): Opening Night

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, did you get an eyewitness report on the defensive lapses at Cedar Rapids? At one point, Vielma was also listed for 3 errors along with Wade. Apparently the official scorer changed his ruling. My guess is Aussies and Venezuelans don't adjust immediately to playing baseball in mid-30 degree conditions. Gotta give the Kernels pitchers credit for playing through some adversity.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting Randy Rosario is going tomorrow. I would've thought Eades would be the #2, not that it matters very much.

That lineup in FM looks great. I like seeing Polanco in the #2 hole.

One thing not mentioned is The Miracle went up against a former Twins's top prospect
    Angel Morales

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Seth, did you get an eyewitness report on the defensive lapses at Cedar Rapids? At one point, Vielma was also listed for 3 errors along with Wade. Apparently the official scorer changed his ruling. My guess is Aussies and Venezuelans don't adjust immediately to playing baseball in mid-30 degree conditions. Gotta give the Kernels pitchers credit for playing through some adversity.
    I would say that no one will adjust quickly to playing in mid-30s weather. Not just Aussies or Venezuelans, but Californians, Texans, Floridians, Minnesotans. Doesn't matter. Arm stiffens, not as flexible, short-arm throws. Also, it's Low A ball. There just are going to be a lot of errors.

Also, Vielma is really young. Wade is really more of a 2B and Licon would do well at 3B. Lots of factors.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Interesting Randy Rosario is going tomorrow. I would've thought Eades would be the #2, not that it matters very much.

That lineup in FM looks great. I like seeing Polanco in the #2 hole.

One thing not mentioned is The Miracle went up against a former Twins's top prospect
    Angel Morales
    Regarding the rotation, doesn't matter a bit. Could be throwing a lefty between righties. Could be when they last worked in spring training.

Travis Harrison batter 8th for the Miracle... That says a lot about that roster, to me at least.

Morales is a very good guy, and I'm glad he caught on with the Marlins. I'd love to see him relax, put the ball in play and use those tools.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yes the official scorer changed what was originally down as a 3rd error on Vielma in the 8th inning in to an infield single. I thought the original decision was the right one, but whatever.

From what I recall, all of the errors were throwing errors. A couple of balls clanked off of the fielder's glove and then the throw had to be rushed, etc. There's no doubt the weather was a factor. Then again, the Clinton infielders managed to make plays, so I'm not sure you can totally excuse the errors. Agree that the pitchers did a good job of working through the errors.

UPDATE: Yep, check out this from the official box score:

FIELDING

E: Wade 3 (3, throw, throw, throw), Vielma 2 (2, throw, throw).
    Last edited by SD Buhr; 04-03-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Regarding the rotation, doesn't matter a bit. Could be throwing a lefty between righties. Could be when they last worked in spring training.
    How did Rosario look this spring? I expected Landa to make the rotation over Rosario.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Feels like a letdown reading this report even though they are great as usual.

My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    "My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season" Along those lines, do we know anything at all about Rosario? Do we even know his physical location?

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its great to have these minor league Reports. I read them daily. Thank you for including the links to the box scores. Perhaps you meant PROBABLE STARTERS instead of PROBABLY STARTERS

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    How did Rosario look this spring? I expected Landa to make the rotation over Rosario.
    Rosario looks really good. Left-handed, throws hard, good control of a couple of pitches. Landa throws hard, no control.

Thanks Seth. These reports have become my favorite part of TD.

13. This user likes Since71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-04-2014)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vance Worley pitched 58 innings in 9 starts at Rochester last year, averaging over 6 innings pitched a game? So how in the world have they not have a guy go at least 5 innings at Rochester since 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Vance Worley pitched 58 innings in 9 starts at Rochester last year, averaging over 6 innings pitched a game? So how in the world have they not have a guy go at least 5 innings at Rochester since 2006?
    I believe he meant "Opening Day starter".

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    I believe he meant "Opening Day starter".
    Thank you for pointing that out... you are correct. It was on Opening Day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So good to have these reports back. Following the minor leagues is so much fun when we have the talent we do right now. Even moreso when the major league team looks as rough as it currently does.

Interesting to see Kepler in center. It would be great if he could move over from a corner OF spot on the days Buxton needs a rest. Is he still fast enough to play center reasonably well? He is a big boy. Is he exceptionally good in terms of jump and route?

Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    So good to have these reports back. Following the minor leagues is so much fun when we have the talent we do right now. Even moreso when the major league team looks as rough as it currently does.
    Couldn't agree more. First thing I look at on Twins Daily every day.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season" Along those lines, do we know anything at all about Rosario? Do we even know his physical location?
    I asked today and still no Rosario, and was told the usual, taking care of personal stuff. My guess is rehab, as this has dragged on.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    It's a bit depressing to see the opening day rosters without the Twins top three hitting prospects. What speaks to the system's depth is that there's still so many players worth tracking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast