Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts After One Series

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thoughts After One Series

1) The Twins aren't very good. The White Sox aren't very good.

2) Trevor Plouffe had more good at-bats in three days than he has had in any of several months. He still managed to make a bad throw and get thrown out at home, but Plouffe just might be a good enough hitter to keep around .

3) For veteran players, spring training means nothing. For others, it doesn't mean much.

4) The Twins were within an eyelash of winning two of three despite their two best hitters going 1-23.

5) A leaky bullpen and a parade of 3-5 starters doesn't make me feel great about the pitching.

6) Maybe we fans should ignore the results of the last two games because the games were played in horrible conditions.

7) Minnesota isn't going to be winning many games if they keep getting out-homered by a 6-1 ratio.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #4 is the good news. #7 is the bad news, methinks...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was encouraged by Aaron Hicks this weekend. He didn't look out of place in any of the at bats I saw...only missed 2 at bats.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    If guys like Colebello Suzuki and Hicks can hit for any average at all we might be decent. I expect a lot out of Hicks the other two would be huge suprises if they hit .260. The nice thing is Colebello doesn't have to do a lot to equal what Mourneau gave us last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was thrilled with the series Hicks and Colabello had. Hopefully that continues for both

7. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I honestly saw a LOT of positives in this series. Plouffe looked very mature at the plate. Hicks looked comfortable and confident. Colo and Kubel could be very decent if they continue their platoon. I think we can adjust our lineup a bit now:

Hicks
    Dozier
    Mauer
    Hammer
    Kubel/Colo
    Plouffe
    Arcia
    Suzuki
    Floriman

Upgrades at SS and LF could make this lineup very solid. As is I think we could play .500 ball if our pitching succeeds.

9. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    While he didn't have a great series, I really liked the way Arcia approached his final two at bats yesterday. He was at the plate looking to do damage, not coax a walk or hit blooper the other way. His attitude at the plate is clearly different than the rest of the lineup.

11. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (04-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    While he didn't have a great series, I really liked the way Arcia approached his final two at bats yesterday. He was at the plate looking to do damage, not coax a walk or hit blooper the other way. His attitude at the plate is clearly different than the rest of the lineup.
    Couldn't agree more. And I liked that he didn't a great catch in his second to last at bat effect his last one. I think .250 with a very healthy slugging % is in the cards for Oswaldo this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday was a relief. Losing 3 would have been a downer. Will Hughes have a decent season?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    #1. Very hard to draw anything from a series against a bad team like the Sucks. But the defense and the "little things" continue to be suspect will show up a lot more against better teams, imo.

#5. Our pitching was supposed to be the team strength and didn't look good at all against a suspect Sox offense. Hope small sample size.

#8. The White Sox are a very bad team (terrible bullpen) but we stayed right with them, is that something to hang our hats on?

#9. I'm not sure the Indians will be much better. I'm thinking what they did last year was an outlier rather than a trend. I hope this isn't a weekend of bad baseball we've seen enough of that over the last 3 years.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I tend to agree on most of this - we are probably going to lose 90 but how Hicks, Arcia, Gibson and Pinto develop is more important to the future. I liked what we saw out of Hicks and Arcia in their few at-bats. Hicks looked like he had a plan, Arcia hit some really hard outs. If those two can stick in the OF and then we add Buxton, that's a nice future.

Kubel is a big surprise. I know it's only a few games but he looked just fine. He could be a nice trade chip at the deadline for someone looking to add LH power.

Collabello - last year one of mlbtr's writers wrote something basically hoping that Collebello turns into a Jose Bautista-lite. After all, it happens sometimes and the Twins were due for some luck. So, let's hope.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    First thing is we scored some runs. That's got to ease the starters minds alot. They won't have to be perfect to win a game.

My concern about Burton and Perkins getting hammered this spring just continued. Saves could be way down this year, and blown saves up. Lady Luck got us a win.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    I'm really thankful for the bullpen depth in AAA this year. We'll need. Our bullpen's have been short lived smoke and mirror routines; and we'll have to cycle the tricks to keep success going.

I was encouraged by those swing-miss strikes and strikeouts by Hughes; now if he could limit that long ball... I think he'll have a lot of success at home.

I think the bench is better than it has been in the past, while it would be nice to have the promise of presley or parmelee, but it the Twins may have made the right call with bringing along Colabello and Kubel. Still don't really understand Bartlett over Presley (beyond Presley's poor attitude...)

I'm worried about Willingham.

18. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-04-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't remember how many times last year when the Twins won games when they were behind and facing the closer in the ninth inning. It wasn't many. Obviously, Chicago's closer isn't an All-Star, but he was designated the closer and the Twins beat him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I think #6 is my biggest takeaway...weather was terrible. For example, I don't think Glen Perkins tops out at 91 now. But I also agree with many of the posts here and am optimistic about improvement in Plouffe, Hicks and Arcia. Man, did Arcia's balls to CF carry...he's a strong man! I also enjoy his fiery attitude...loved the spontaneous celebration at 3b...although I don't know if Gardy does.

At the and of the year when we do our postmortem, I think we will say this: We both hit and pitched better this year, and improved to be a .500 ballclub. Now we need the phenoms to put us over the top.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,591 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I'm really thankful for the bullpen depth in AAA this year.
    Yep. You just can't trust a bullpen year-to-year. The only way to overcome the ups and downs of bullpens is through sheer quantity of arms. Thankfully, I think the Twins have a pretty decent stable of quality arms. Over the course of the season, they'll figure it out but the first few weeks could be ugly while that happens.

Then again, that applies to pretty much every team in baseball.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    It's just one series but I kind of flinch when I go to the stat leaders and the top 2 homerun guys in the AL are there because they just mashed our pitching.

hrleaders.jpg

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    The pitching was upgraded, but it's still shakey.

Good news is that Trevor Plouffe looked like Brian Dozeir from last year. The bad of course is that Dozeir looked like Plouffe from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The pitching was upgraded, but it's still shakey.

Good news is that Trevor Plouffe looked like Brian Dozeir from last year. The bad of course is that Dozeir looked like Plouffe from last year.
    Count me in the optimism column that believes Plouffe has finally figured it out and Dozer is just getting his spring feet wet. However...
    Dozier needs to be in the 2 hole with Hicks leading off. That way, with Hicks on base and Mauer behind him, Dozier will get plenty of nice pitches to hit. Whether Mauer gets anything with Hammer backing him remains to be seen.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,591 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Count me in the optimism column that believes Plouffe has finally figured it out and Dozer is just getting his spring feet wet. However...
    Dozier needs to be in the 2 hole with Hicks leading off. That way, with Hicks on base and Mauer behind him, Dozier will get plenty of nice pitches to hit. Whether Mauer gets anything with Hammer backing him remains to be seen.
    I think Hicks needs to stay right where he is until he builds up enough confidence and consistency to move up the lineup. Let the kid get into a groove.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast