Position: OF
    Hand: Switch
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 183
    DOB: November 20, 1990
    POB: Odessa, Florida
    Shane's prospect ranking: 24
    2014 start: Fort Myers (DL)

2013 statistics (Cedar Rapids/Fort Myers): 486 plate appearances, .265/.372/.403 (.775), 17 doubles, 6 triples, 9 homers, 26 steals, 13 times caught stealing, 66 walks, 105 strikeouts.

Williams obviously dominated Cedar Rapids and struggled in Fort Myers, but given how repeating A ball in 2013 worked, I am confident that Williams will figure out the FSL. I like the approach with Williams, and wish the Twins would do it more often . . . promote a guy 2/3 of the way through the season so he gets a taste of the next level before starting the next season there.

Williams is a speedster who can play all three OF positions. He also really loves to play baseball and he has that Revere-esque smile. Fortunately, he can actually hit for some power. He starts on the DL in a Fort Myers OF featuring Buxton, Kepler, and Walker. If he can continue to handle the bat, Williams provides another long-term OF option. I would certainly like to see at least one Twins game in a few years with a Williams-Buxton-Hicks OF.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Williams is back in Cedar Rapids to start the year. While the Twins have many OF above him, only a few of them are actually good, so it is a little odd that Williams is down again at a level he excelled at in 2013.

In 28 plate appearances this year he has a slash line of .364/.464/.455 (.919), with a couple doubles and 4 walks. He has played 4 games in LF and one in CF so far. At some point, the logjam in Fort Myers needs to be cleared. There are spots available for promoting to New Britain (and the good NB OFs to Rochester as well).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just guessing, but I wonder if Williams is just in CR for as long as Buxton is in Ft Myers. They both needed at bats to shaike the rust off. Williams certainly looks like he's done that and then some. I agree he needs to get up to FT Myers (at least) sooner than later, though I sure enjoy watching him play in CR. Great guy.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Still waiting for Williams' return from the DL. Anyone have any more information on his injury?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't asked Jake about JD since I was over in Kane County almost 2 weeks ago, but at that time, Williams was still feeling some soreness. They had been sending guys down to Extended to get some swings in right before re-activating them and I know he was still in CR prior to the All-Star break. That might seem to indicate it could still be a while.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems so disrespectful to have JD playing in CR again. I know he's hurt, but that's where he was sent period.

Blog Entries
    It is odd. He isn't great at CR right now, but he should be in FTM again after being promoted there last year. Fort Myers is a key testing ground anyway for hitters, so they should promote him. Good god, there is some serious outfield movements needed from CR up in this organization. The Twins promoted Lance Ray to see how he reacts to NB, so I don't see why Williams (who is way better NOW) shouldn't get the not to Fort Myers. This kind of speed and these bursts of offensive performance shouldn't be denied.

Blog Entries
    In other words, I do think there are psychological ramifications involved here regarding performance. Sometimes actual valued prospects just need to be pushed to keep them them confident about there value (I see this as important in org. prospects ranked 15-35 in particular). The Twins org fills in the organization with aging players from the top down. That is a problem. A quick look at the rosters shows enormous holes begging for promotion from below (to, at least, see what prospects in the 15-35 or beyond can actually do).

Blog Entries
    Williams still struggling in low-A. Maybe pushing him to Fort Myers would actually give him more confidence. The treatment of Williams here is rather puzzling.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know the whole story on Williams, but the simple answer is for him to play better. That is how you progress in the minors. What does happen with prospects like him is that while I wouldn't classify him as an org type guy, he isn't probably considered a real high ceiling guy either. Often guys like that get worked in around higher ceiling guys who are placed where they need to be. That is my perception anyway.

Blog Entries
    Why promote him last season to high A at mid season only to send him back down to Low A all of this season? Doesn't seem fair to the player. They never seem to give players reasons for their moves. I know they are property (of the Twins), but you would think last years move doesn't justify this years move. Had he not gotten hurt in spring training - he surely would have been in Fort Myers.

Blog Entries
    Talk about killing a kids spirit.................

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Williams still struggling in low-A. Maybe pushing him to Fort Myers would actually give him more confidence. The treatment of Williams here is rather puzzling.
    The puzzling part would be promotion based on poor performance. That message would certainly ring hollow on other Twins prospects in Cedar Rapids.