Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month - April

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like that Hermsen got moved to AA. This will be where he makes it or brakes it. It's really tough to ignore his "stuff", but also really tough to ignore his results. Something has to give, and AA often times is where this happens.

You say you look at "walks and strikeouts in combination" (which is essentially k/bb) but numbers 1 and 2 on the list are the guys who have the worst k/bb of anyone on here. It's not that big a deal, its just that your rankings contradicted what you put in your criteria. You probably should've just said you're going to rank them by ERA and WHIP and left it at that.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not interested in pitch to contact guys any more. Too many in the organization. Just another Slowey, or Blackburn.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't argue with #1 and #2 because of the ERA, but I definitely think that Cole Devries should be #3. Especially because you said "
    I think that it’s important to look at walks and strikeouts in combination, and do so relative to innings pitched." Devries has an amazing K/BB of 3.83 and a K/9 of 9.76. Besides that move, I agree with the order. Shibuya's WHIP makes me cringe a little though.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a subjective list... opinion based... and I'm completely fine with people ranking them themselves (as I mentioned). I think ERA, WHIP, K/9, BB/9, K/BB, BAA, and all kinds of things matter... I don't know how I would rank or prioritize them. I also hope that we'll have more people considered for this list next month.

@ Seth ...

Shouldn't performance at a higher level carry more weight than similar performance at a lower level?

I like DeVries numbers, especially when he's 2 levels up from Wheeler & Hermsen (who definitely had a good April).

Like peterb18, I've had my fill of the Twins apparent fascination with "pitch to contact" types. Not that there isn't a place for them on a pitching staff - there is - but to the extent it seems like they don't want and don't seek guys who miss bats.

We've seen what happens to "pitch to contact" types the last few trips to the playoffs ... the guys you see in the post season make "better contact" & you get beat. ENOUGH!!!

Good start for BJ tonight 7IP 4H 1R 1BB 5K no decision

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For sure. Way to go Hermsen.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if its not a big deal, then why did you say it. #1 and 2 produced the facts and numbers dont always show that. Maybe you should get out and watch them to see.