Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 96 of 96

Thread: Chris Herrmann Promoted

  1. #81
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fair enough, CMAT, but if they don't have a grand plan, of which the first injury call up is a part, then they have an issue, imo. They should have a grand plan. It should take into account possible injuries. I'm not asking for a legit MLB to be in AAA, but how about one actual OFer?

    And, yes, the Bartlett thing is maddening.

    I remain hopeful that at some point, the minors will product players. The Rosario and Sano things were killers for any hope for this year, outside of Meyer, imo. And, while I don't get mad about the Twins, or depressed, or anything like that, I am dissapointed by many decisions this offseason, and I remain skeptical about their ability to fix things in any short timespan, or even at all, frankly.

    How a team with this much money passed on Abreu, well, I remain baffled.
    I thought they were going to get one of these waiver-wire outfielders after they DFAd Presley. Still surprised they didn't. I don't think a Presley DFA was part of a grand plan. I think Antony let Gardy talk him into it because Presley had such a Gaud-awful spring (not that Bartlett didn't, but Gardy is all about favorites).

    I'll say this. They miss Ryan. Ryan would never let Gardy talk him into thinning the outfield ranks for a guy on an improbable comeback. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Presley was still here. BTW, he homered yesterday for the Strohs.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  2. #82
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,818
    Like
    1,642
    Liked 1,677 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I was just going to post this. Bartlett got an "ankle sprain" just in time to bring Hermann in.
    Hoping that he will put a pebble in the correct shoe to remind himself to wince occasionally and limp properly according to whichever ankle they told him is sprained...

  3. #83
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So Pressley has outhomered the entire Twins' OF? It was/is/remains a mind boggling decision. If Gardy really made it, well, um, ya.....
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (04-07-2014)

  5. #84
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,616
    Like
    3
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I thought they were going to get one of these waiver-wire outfielders after they DFAd Presley. Still surprised they didn't. I don't think a Presley DFA was part of a grand plan. I think Antony let Gardy talk him into it because Presley had such a Gaud-awful spring (not that Bartlett didn't, but Gardy is all about favorites).

    I'll say this. They miss Ryan. Ryan would never let Gardy talk him into thinning the outfield ranks for a guy on an improbable comeback. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Presley was still here. BTW, he homered yesterday for the Strohs.
    I get that TR is taking a break and Antony is the acting GM, but I can't imagine TR didn't have final say about a DFA move. It's not like there was any real urgency to it. Same with Parmelee and Diamond -- the whole front office must have known the plan with these guys for awhile (DFA and outright at the end of spring training unless something unexpected happens).

  6. #85
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    739
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So Pressley has outhomered the entire Twins' OF? It was/is/remains a mind boggling decision. If Gardy really made it, well, um, ya.....
    If needed, I'll take credit for the decision. I didn't like getting him last year and certainly didn't want him around this season. His spring made it a very easy decision. Mastro's better than he is.

    With 2 spots empty on the roster I think they had something in mind but it just didn't get done. But the 2 spots remain, so it ain't ova til it's ova.

  7. #86
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    True, HH.....but it isn't like they have been quick to make changes. Who would they add now? They did trade for Pressley, right? They must have thought, less than a year ago, he had some value......so maybe they do make changes quickly, just changes that seem questionable. The problem isn't cutting Pressley, it is not having ANY options on the MLB or AAA roster for any issues with the OF.
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (04-07-2014)

  9. #87
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I thought they were going to get one of these waiver-wire outfielders after they DFAd Presley. Still surprised they didn't. I don't think a Presley DFA was part of a grand plan. I think Antony let Gardy talk him into it because Presley had such a Gaud-awful spring (not that Bartlett didn't, but Gardy is all about favorites).

    I'll say this. They miss Ryan. Ryan would never let Gardy talk him into thinning the outfield ranks for a guy on an improbable comeback. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Presley was still here. BTW, he homered yesterday for the Strohs.
    I was going to create a new thread on this as this very scenario crossed my mind. Reminds me of when Bill Smith was GM and it seemed that Gardy had the ability to influence personnel moves extensively. When the final roster spots were decided this year, it kind of seemed similar, like Gardy was heavily influencing the decisions. I say that because it doesn't seem like TRs style but I also find it hard to believe he was completely out of the loop.
    Anyway, it would be an interesting discussion for another thread as it seems like a rebuilding team should not really be listening to the manager who wants to win now. Maybe if that team is on the verge of winning but not rebuilding.

  10. #88
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,818
    Like
    1,642
    Liked 1,677 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    True, HH.....but it isn't like they have been quick to make changes. Who would they add now? They did trade for Pressley, right? They must have thought, less than a year ago, he had some value......so maybe they do make changes quickly, just changes that seem questionable. The problem isn't cutting Pressley, it is not having ANY options on the MLB or AAA roster for any issues with the OF.
    Should be interesting to how many more Bartlett booboos coincide with an outfielder injury and a Rochester recall of Herrmann/mastro/etc.

  11. #89
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    One thing I failed to mention: How many teams have in their master plans contingencies for both starting corner outfielders getting hurt at the same time? I don't know how likely or unlikely it is, but the way rosters are constructed, very few teams have the ability to absorb two such injuries simultaneously without losing considerable pop.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  12. #90
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I get that TR is taking a break and Antony is the acting GM, but I can't imagine TR didn't have final say about a DFA move. It's not like there was any real urgency to it. Same with Parmelee and Diamond -- the whole front office must have known the plan with these guys for awhile (DFA and outright at the end of spring training unless something unexpected happens).
    With Diamond and Parmelee, the writing was on the wall that they would clear. Presley got claimed by the very first team that could claim him. If they thought he would pass through, it was a grave miscalculation.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  13. #91
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    739
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    [QUOTE=mike wants wins;212005] They did trade for Pressley, right? They must have thought, less than a year ago, he had some value......QUOTE]

    He did have some value, as they needed someone out there after Hicks failed so miserably. Which brings up another question - what if Hicks just can't figure it out this year either? Part with some pitching, or prospects to get a warm body out there? Gee I hope Hicks can get it going.

  14. #92
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    [QUOTE=Halsey Hall;212016]
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They did trade for Pressley, right? They must have thought, less than a year ago, he had some value......QUOTE]

    He did have some value, as they needed someone out there after Hicks failed so miserably. Which brings up another question - what if Hicks just can't figure it out this year either? Part with some pitching, or prospects to get a warm body out there? Gee I hope Hicks can get it going.
    Hicks has taken three walks and hit six balls hard the last two games. Nothing to show for the loud outs except a sac fly.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  15. #93
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,820
    Like
    176
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    One thing I failed to mention: How many teams have in their master plans contingencies for both starting corner outfielders getting hurt at the same time? I don't know how likely or unlikely it is, but the way rosters are constructed, very few teams have the ability to absorb two such injuries simultaneously without losing considerable pop.
    This is a fair point, but I'd suggest most teams have a better fourth outfielder than we were coming in with. This is precisely the type of thing we talked about just a week ago - the Twins are woefully thin on offense in the case of injuries.

  16. #94
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    But, all those bad things can't all happen, Levi.....they just can't.
    Lighten up Francis....

  17. #95
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    cmat, I would argue they didn't have a plan for no OFers getting hurt, let alone one, or even two. They have no 4th OFer on the roster, and some would argue they don't even have three right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

  18. #96
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    739
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    [QUOTE=cmathewson;212027]
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post

    Hicks has taken three walks and hit six balls hard the last two games. Nothing to show for the loud outs except a sac fly.
    Good to know, it's impossible to judge any outs on Gameday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.