Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butera is Back?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Butera is Back?

According to 1500espn, Drew Butera is headed to Los Angeles to join the Twins. Right now, he is a possible addition to the Rochester roster, pending what they learn about the wrist of Justin Morneau. Of the players on the 40 man roster, Butera makes the most sense. Joe Mauer will likely get more time at 1B with Ryan Doumit doing the catching. Of course, this doesn't bode well for Chris Parmelee who needs to play. Of the three catchers that went to camp with the Twins and started the season in Rochester, Butera has far-and-away been playing the best.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. They must be expecting to put Morneau on the DL. Really hope it doesn't come to that.
    I bent my wookie...

As long as Butera remains as bench insurance with Doughnut and Mauer getting in the line up everyday, I am cool with this.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylager View Post
    As long as Butera remains as bench insurance with Doughnut and Mauer getting in the line up everyday, I am cool with this.
    That's not going to happen. We all know this. Drew will get too many at bats,just as Clete Thomas did early.

What a weak bench. Burroughs/Drew/Clete ? Yuck

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Sick now! droop now! this sickness doth infect
    The very life-blood of our enterprise;
    'Tis catching hither, even to our camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    That's not going to happen. We all know this. Drew will get too many at bats,just as Clete Thomas did early.

Understand your skepticism, but I'm not so sure this time around. I think Doumit has been serviceable enough at catcher that Butera won't get much run.

Just be prepared for the inevitability that either Mauer or Doumit (or both) are going to break at some point this year, so Butera and Towles will play some role on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post

Yes, starting to look a lot like last years bench, unfortunately. If Morneau is headed to DL, seems like a perfect time to call up Revere. He can platoon in right with Plouffe, put Doumit at DH and Parmalee at 1B. Much better than dealing with Clete and/or Butera in the lineup most days and YOU know that is going to happen. Gardy's fascination with backup catchers wins out again. Sorry guys, you can try and spin this in a positive light all you want. There is no reason for Drew Butera to be on a major league roster at this point in his career, he is a net negative, you might as well have your pitcher hit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Awesome. Can't wait to read about him all year long again this year. Can't wait to watch him "hit" again this year. But, I do agree, a catcher makes the most sense, with Mauer at 1B. But that catcher should only be used 1 time a week, max, not all the time. But I have a bad feeling about this, and their obsession with catcher defense.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Butera will be the 3rd catcher... He will hardly play and he'll not hit much... I get the snide sarcasm, but it's not a big deal...

The big deal is losing Morneau, if that's what happens.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Yes, starting to look a lot like last years bench, unfortunately. If Morneau is headed to DL, seems like a perfect time to call up Revere. He can platoon in right with Plouffe, put Doumit at DH and Parmalee at 1B. Much better than dealing with Clete and/or Butera in the lineup most days and YOU know that is going to happen. Gardy's fascination with backup catchers wins out again. Sorry guys, you can try and spin this in a positive light all you want. There is no reason for Drew Butera to be on a major league roster at this point in his career, he is a net negative, you might as well have your pitcher hit.
    I like this idea. Being able to keep Parmelee at first and Doumit at DH makes sense.
    I bent my wookie...

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Joe C has confirmed the promotion of Butera; no official corresponding move has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Butera will be the 3rd catcher... He will hardly play and he'll not hit much... I get the snide sarcasm, but it's not a big deal...

The big deal is losing Morneau, if that's what happens.
    We'll see, I bet he catches whenever Pavano starts though. The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers, it makes no sense to have a guy on your bench that you can't count on to pinch hit or pinch run, just "in case" one of your other catchers gets hurt. It's stupid, and no amount of trying to say it's not a big deal changes that fact. If he's not going to play much, then why bother having him on the bench? It's a waste of resources, especially when your bench is already too thin.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Twins should lop off Thomas now and bring up Mastroianni. Can't do any worse than Thomas has been.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Maybe they are getting rid of Clete??? Let's hope that is the case and not Morneau to the DL.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Also doesn't help any that Thomas/Plouffe/Burroughs are contributing very little.

Organization lack of high-level depth back in play again.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that Morneau is healthy. In the beginning of the season the Twins had a nice bench. Right now, the bench is Clete Thomas, Drew Butera and Sean Burroughs, 3 players who are at best AAAA players. This is just not too good.

And, regardless what we would like to believe about Butera's playing time, he will play... He is the only RH bat off the bench and I suspect that he will resume the role of Pavano's personal catcher.

It just sucks, but the writing has been on the wall.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best case is Morneau is fine and we get rid of a pitcher...Burnett...
    I bent my wookie...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    Best case is Morneau is fine and we get rid of a pitcher...Burnett...
    Burnett's been pretty good so far.

Blog Entries
    "The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers,"

When the first two catchers are every day players, then the third catcher is really the backup catcher... He's really the #2 catcher, regardless of which starting catcher starts that day and which plays another position. I do agree that carrying 13 pitchers is a bit much.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Burnett's been pretty good so far.
    Who do you think we should get rid of? Big reason I said Burnett is I know he still has an option left and I'd rather not see us flat out release someone.
    I bent my wookie...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast