Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butera is Back?

For fun, just looked at the rest of the AL's rosters. Guess what, your Twins are now the ONLY team in the AL carrying 3 catchers. Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Of the three catchers that went to camp with the Twins and started the season in Rochester, Butera has far-and-away been playing the best.
    Well, let's hope he doesn't forget everything he learned in AAA the minute he steps off the plane.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Sick now! droop now! this sickness doth infect
    The very life-blood of our enterprise;
    'Tis catching hither, even to our camp.
    +1 internets to you, King Boom Boom the Fourth.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    Interesting. They must be expecting to put Morneau on the DL. Really hope it doesn't come to that.
    As soon as I saw mid-game that Morneau had come out due to a wrist problem, and seeing his .536 OPS ever since his 2-HR game, I thought of posting a forum question, "who do the Twins bring up to replace Justin?". It has DL written all over it; something the manager and front office knew about and were hoping would work itself out on its own. The wrist will be examined, and the only two possible outcomes will be "surgery" or "rest". No doctor is going to say "get back out on the field, you big baby." Because, Morneau is not a big baby. This is bad.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Kinda surprised that no one has broke up Mauer's foul-ball knee in this thread. My guess is Joe might not be behind the plate for a few days and Gardy wants a catcher on hand to back up Doumit. So if Butera catches Pavano every 5th day until Mauer is fully healed and Morneau returns from the Twin Cities or the DL - whichever the case - then this move seems justified to me. If Butera hangs around once Mauer's knee is better, then I will join the angst.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    Kinda surprised that no one has broke up Mauer's foul-ball knee in this thread. My guess is Joe might not be behind the plate for a few days and Gardy wants a catcher on hand to back up Doumit. So if Butera catches Pavano every 5th day until Mauer is fully healed and Morneau returns from the Twin Cities or the DL - whichever the case - then this move seems justified to me. If Butera hangs around once Mauer's knee is better, then I will join the angst.
    You bring up a good point regarding Mauer's knee. If he isn't able to play C for a few days, then yes it does make sense to have a 3rd C. Hope that's all there is to it.

And that means Plouffe gets to make or break himself as the right fielder. So sad...would rather see Revere out there for a couple of weeks with Plouffe on the bench. I also do wish we had Hughes (sigh) instead of Burroughs. Bench is pretty darn sucky right now.....

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.
    Every manager wants a backup catcher. There isn't one manager in baseball that doesn't. Again, When Mauer catches, Doumit plays somewhere else. And vice versa. So every day, Butera would be the backup catcher. Yes, it is a third catcher, but when the other two are starting every day, I don't have a problem with it at all.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You bring up a good point regarding Mauer's knee. If he isn't able to play C for a few days, then yes it does make sense to have a 3rd C. Hope that's all there is to it.
    This also should not be minimized. If he couldn't run last night, I'm completely on board with him not catching for a few days. Just adds to this move making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Every manager wants a backup catcher. There isn't one manager in baseball that doesn't. Again, When Mauer catches, Doumit plays somewhere else. And vice versa. So every day, Butera would be the backup catcher. Yes, it is a third catcher, but when the other two are starting every day, I don't have a problem with it at all.
    If both Doumit and Mauer are in the lineup, the other guy is still the backup. What difference does it make if they are in the lineup or not? The Tigers went through almost all of 2010 with Avila and Martinez in the same situation as Mauer and Doumit, only rarely having a 3rd catcher on the roster and somehow managed to win the division. When Olivo got hurt this year, the Mariners to decided they could live with Jaso and Montero, despite the fact Montero will be DHing most days. I suspect the only reason they had 3 guys to begin with is that neither Jaso or Olivo is really a starter. It's just a waste of a roster spot unless one of your guys is actually banged up. That's the only time a team should carry a third C unless it's a guy that you can count on as a pinch hitter, which Butera is definitely not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    For fun, just looked at the rest of the AL's rosters. Guess what, your Twins are now the ONLY team in the AL carrying 3 catchers. Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.
    But that's only because the other teams in the AL don't have a 2nd catcher good enough that the team needs to find a way to put him in the lineup most nights. I'd venture to guess that 80% of fans think their team needs a better backup catcher. Butera is not going to be getting any significant action. This ship is pointing in the wrong direction, Gardy may like Drew Butera, but he's not going to give him playing time at the expense of job security, and he knows he's no lock for skipper in 2013 with another 99 loss season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    1. Losing Morneau is the biggest issue....just when I thought they could deal him for some minor league pitchers...
    2. Mauer's knee is an issue, agreed - continues to raise the question of him as a catcher, btw....
    3. You DON"T NEED a backup catcher. If they are both in the lineup, and the catcher is hurt, the other moves over, and they have a 1 game problem. There are airplanes now, to get your 3rd catcher there if you need one. You only need one if you are paranoid, about having an issue for a few innings or a game.
    4. NO OTHER AL TEAM is carrying a 3rd catcher....as for no other teams need to get their catcher in the game, Mauer is not one the best hitting catcher in the game right now. Plenty of other teams are relying on their catchers to be legit hitters now. This is not a real argument.
    Lighten up Francis....

If both Doumit and Mauer are in the lineup, the other guy is still the backup. What difference does it make if they are in the lineup or not? The Tigers went through almost all of 2010 with Avila and Martinez in the same situation as Mauer and Doumit, only rarely having a 3rd catcher on the roster and somehow managed to win the division. When Olivo got hurt this year, the Mariners to decided they could live with Jaso and Montero, despite the fact Montero will be DHing most days. I suspect the only reason they had 3 guys to begin with is that neither Jaso or Olivo is really a starter. It's just a waste of a roster spot unless one of your guys is actually banged up. That's the only time a team should carry a third C unless it's a guy that you can count on as a pinch hitter, which Butera is definitely not.
    Don't forget that they had Inge as the 3rd C in Detroit last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

You sure love the team's kool-aid. Jim Jones would of loved you. How does Drew (.180) Butera help the Twins win more games? It does nothing but hurt the team and coddle Mauer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Losing Morneau will not be good. I bet dollars to doughnuts he is out for a while.
    Gardenhire likes to play all of his backups regularly, so if Butera is indeed called up, prepare to see him more than once per week.
    Gardenhire's job is not in jeopardy now, nor will it be regardless of how the team performs this year

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    +1 internets to you, King Boom Boom the Fourth.
    I found something epically Shakespearean about the recall of Butera. I should know well enough to use a citation though. That's from 1 Henry IV, but you already knew that.

The word "catching" with the implication of infectious disease seemed appropriate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I found something epically Shakespearean about the recall of Butera.
    Comedy, or tragedy?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Comedy, or tragedy?
    Bad baseball is a bit of both. Just like the plays.

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Mauer can't catch because of the knee, then this is a reasonable move. It has nothing to do with Mauer and Doumit being in the lineup. I've been as critical of Butera and the Twins hopes for him as anyone, and I think I'd rather see Rivera (especially with Frankie pitching tonight) but I don't know what other move I would advise.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I want to throw up with this bench - Gardy has no options - Burroughs .118 Av / .167 OBP / .343 OPS; Thomas .182 Av / .217 OBP / .581 OPS (+12 strikeouts in last 14 AB's!); Butera lifetime ,178 Av / .220 OBP / .481 OPS. The loss of Morneau will be massive. According to him (Morneau) he's been hurting since the series with the Rays. The last time he felt okay was against the Yankees.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast