Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butera is Back?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Morneau for Butera is a bad trade off, but maybe Mauer is hurting too.

The only way this makes sense if Mauer knee is worse than we think and Morneau wrist is bad then Mauer DH and Morneau DL. If this is for any other reason--makes no sense. Parmalee should be playing 3/4 of games at 1B. If Mauer plays at 1B then Parmalee sits on bench.

Why not bring up Dozier???

If Mauer/Doumit hurt--Drew can get here in 24 hours so worse case scenario Gardy has to move Doumit/Mauer from DH to C and pitcher hits once or twice...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If Mauer can't catch because of the knee, then this is a reasonable move. It has nothing to do with Mauer and Doumit being in the lineup. I've been as critical of Butera and the Twins hopes for him as anyone, and I think I'd rather see Rivera (especially with Frankie pitching tonight) but I don't know what other move I would advise.
    Agree on both counts (if Mauer cannot catch, and Rivera makes more sense than Butera). But this means that the Catcher goes back down as soon as Mauer can catch. I just hate what this does to the bench...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    "The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers,"

When the first two catchers are every day players, then the third catcher is really the backup catcher... He's really the #2 catcher, regardless of which starting catcher starts that day and which plays another position. I do agree that carrying 13 pitchers is a bit much.
    Thank for stating that so clearly Seth. This move makes sense and will allow Doumit, Mauer, and Parmalee to play with Butera as insurance.
    As much as I wanted to think that Morneau was back, I just don't see him getting there. Stinks.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I assumed this move was done bc Mauer is still a little sore/day to day after taking the foul ball off the knee? If that is the case Butera will be back down by the end of the weekend and most likely won't see many at bats. (Only as a defensive replacement or if Doumit is PR for)

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Thank for stating that so clearly Seth. This move makes sense and will allow Doumit, Mauer, and Parmalee to play with Butera as insurance.
    As much as I wanted to think that Morneau was back, I just don't see him getting there. Stinks.
    Can you please explain why Doumit, Mauer and Parmalee can't play without having Butera as insurance? Seems that having insurance when you are 6-15 might be a luxury you can't afford. Shouldn't the Twins be more concerned about getting the best players onto the roster so they might possibly win more than one out of every 3-4 games? Every other team in the league thinks it's a luxury, but not the Twins I guess, they know better, right? I swear, some of you make it sound as though Mauer and Doumit both leave every game with an injury. It just doesn't happen frequently enough to worry about enough to weaken an already weak bench.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Plus Jose Lopez, just got DFA'd be CLE. Decent on the field middle infielder, right hand bat with some pop (think he hit 25+ a season with seattle) and not Ancient. I think if Mauer can catch he makes more sense than Drew.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Plus Jose Lopez, just got DFA'd be CLE. Decent on the field middle infielder, right hand bat with some pop (think he hit 25+ a season with seattle) and not Ancient. I think if Mauer can catch he makes more sense than Drew.
    Jose Lopez? Yuck, no way. Other than two decent seasons he has been downright awful.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Jose Lopez? Yuck, no way. Other than two decent seasons he has been downright awful.
    well...
    His awfulness has been better than that of Butera, Thomas, Burroughs and Plouffe. I know it is sad, but it is true. Just not too many options out there at this point, unless they want to blow this thing up with trades and bring the kids up to play. If that is the case, get rid of Butera and bring up Herrmann. He is 24, not 19 or 20...
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    well...
    His awfulness has been better than that of Butera, Thomas, Burroughs and Plouffe. I know it is sad, but it is true. Just not too many options out there at this point, unless they want to blow this thing up with trades and bring the kids up to play. If that is the case, get rid of Butera and bring up Herrmann. He is 24, not 19 or 20...
    Butera isn't going to get at bats, having him on the major league roster isn't going to hurt anyone and he is already on the 40 man roster etc. Having Herrmann up instead literally makes no difference as he won't get at bats and might as well get at bats every day in the minors.

You bring up Lopez over Butera and Thomas while ignoring that Thomas is on the roster bc he is a 4th OF (something Lopez can't do) and Butera is on the roster bc he is a Catcher (something Lopez can't do) If your argument is "well he is a better hitter than Butera" then I hate to inform you that we could replace Lopez's name with any player in the majors and at least 1000 in the minors.

Lopez may be better than Burroughs and Plouffe, but I'd argue that both have more upside than Lopez as both are a little more of an unknown quantity at the major league level, Plouffe still has a shred of hope of turning into a Cuddyer like player. Lopez is known garbage (3800+ PA in the majors) and does nothing to improve the team heading into 2013+, Plouffe at least has a slight chance to pull it together to be a super utility player from here on out.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I assumed this move was done bc Mauer is still a little sore/day to day after taking the foul ball off the knee? If that is the case Butera will be back down by the end of the weekend and most likely won't see many at bats. (Only as a defensive replacement or if Doumit is PR for)
    This. If Mauer isn't catching tonight, he will tomorrow or Friday at the latest. No reason for people to flip out over this.
    I bent my wookie...

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They could go back to 12 pitchers--after they've had two consecutive "quality starts"! If they do go back to 12 pitchers, any of Gray, Burnett and Maloney could be demoted/optioned/DFAed. No one has been consistently bad in the bullpen, so it isn't an easy choice. Maloney had one putrid outing, Gray has allowed a lot of baserunners, but hasn't allowed his runners to score, and Burnett has been pretty good, but has allowed runs his last two outings and has an option.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Gray has allowed a lot of baserunners, but hasn't allowed his runners to score
    Gray allowed 2 inherited runners in a NYY game to score,and allowed one to score in his last outing vs KC.

Quote Originally Posted by sotafan View Post
    Don't forget that they had Inge as the 3rd C in Detroit last year.
    And they used him a total of ZERO innings!! He hasn't caught since 2008. Thanks for helping me prove my point!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Why do we need butera insurance? Can they not call him up if someone cannot play?
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 05-01-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Scenario: Doumit Catching, Mauer DHing. Doumit hurt. Twins would be better off having Mauer move to C and lose the DH than to bring in Butera because he HITS WORSE THAN A PITCHER!

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    If Butera is up only until Mauer is able to resume everyday catching duties, I can live with it.

That said, roster management seems to me a constant struggle with this team. Players sit around for 10 days unable to play without going on the DL. You could sort of understand 13 pitchers while Blackburn and Liriano were out of the rotation, but that situation has resolved itself...and there are still 13 pitchers on the big league team. Luke Hughes was sacrificed for the sake of 1 possible Blackburn start. Revere starts the season on the major league team, and within 2 weeks somebody decides that's not a good idea. If it wasn't a good idea in mid-April, it wasn't a good idea in early April. We'll see how many ABs Butera gets, and just how long he's on the roster. My bet is, he won't be going back to Rochester any time soon. Roster management/construction been an issue for as long as Gardy and Ryan/Smith have been at the helm, and sometimes it just makes no sense.

They DFA'd Burroughs for the spot. Unless I'm forgetting someone that means if Mauer can't play we have 1 bench guy? 2 of Plouffe/Thomas/Butera have to play, right? Mourneau is in MN right now, so he won't be available. Not sure I understand this plan at all. Also means that Butera is obviously more than "insurance", doesn't it? If Mauer can play, then I don't understand the rush to get Butera here...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Scenario: Doumit Catching, Mauer DHing. Doumit hurt. Twins would be better off having Mauer move to C and lose the DH than to bring in Butera because he HITS WORSE THAN A PITCHER!
    Every pitcher? Some pitchers? One pitcher? Most pitchers? Proof please?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Scenario: Mauer and Doumit both in the game, Butera on the bench, 13 pitchers on the roster...pinch hitter needed...no one available. Isn't this MORE LIKELY, than one of Doumit or Mauer gets hurt? NO OTHER AL TEAM has 3 catchers on it of a reason....because they worry about every game, not some mystery game that may or may not happen.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast