Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyers or Sellers?

Buyers or Sellers?

Do you think the Twins will be buyers or sellers come trade deadline? if you think buyers who do you think the would (realistically) go after? And if sellers who could you see being traded?
    Last edited by milldaddy35; 04-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    I think this thread is at least 90 days premature at the very least.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

3. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (04-08-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milldaddy35 View Post
    Do you think the Twins will be buyers or sellers?
    Yes.

5. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-07-2014), USAFChief (04-07-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And if sellers who could you see being traded?
    Miguel Sulbaran
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think this thread is at least 90 days premature at the very least.
    3 years premature.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need to be looking long term at any point.

Buy young. Sell old. Turn Around this roster that is among the oldest in Twins history.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    It's hard to say. They might try to sell off some contracts like they did last summer with Morneau, which would put Willingham in play, though other clubhouse favorites like Kubel aren't really making much to begin with. Stay tuned.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Judging by the last couple of seasons, they'll probably be neither. They seem to have a hard time figuring out which side of the equation to be on.

12. This user likes whydidnt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-07-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think no matter the standings, the Twins will try to go young. Even if every other team in the division implodes, they still won't be in it. They will sell their experienced players with value (Duensing, Willingham, Dozier, Deduno) in exchange for prospects.

I don't see them selling Dozier or Deduno no matter how bad or good it gets

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham is trade bait if he continues his good start. Something I hoped for but doubted after such a poor ST.

Question: if Willingham continues his rebound, and the offers for him, straight or part of a package, are limited, is the team better off just keeping him to play out the season and help the lineup for 2013? Not sure he couldn't be somewhat easily replaced next off season.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier is NOT being traded.

Kubel? He's younger than Willingham, and quite frankly, better defensively. Let's assume for a moment that his strong-ish end to ST and early start this season are not an illusion. Is there a market for him?

Or as a DH and part time OF with a smallish contract is the team better off keeping him?

He can semi-platoon with Colabello, or Plouffe maybe when Sano moves up next season, and still get that occasional day in the OF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    I don't see them selling Dozier or Deduno no matter how bad or good it gets
    I'd be curious to hear your argument why they wouldn't deal Deduno?
    He's 30 years old, and if he can't crack the rotation this year, when will he?
    We will have to make room for at least one, and hopefully both, of Meyer/May within the next year. After that you have the Stewart/Berrios/Thorpe/Gonsalves wave coming up.
    I believe Deduno has previously been removed from the 40 man, and every team in the league passed up the opportunity to take him for nothing, so I think if someone decides to offer you anything of substance for him, it'd be silly to pass it up.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cellars.

19. These 8 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (04-08-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-07-2014), mike wants wins (04-07-2014), notoriousgod71 (04-07-2014), snepp (04-07-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-07-2014), USAFChief (04-07-2014), Willihammer (04-08-2014)

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    We will have to make room for at least one, and hopefully both, of Meyer/May within the next year. After that you have the Stewart/Berrios/Thorpe/Gonsalves wave coming up.
    I believe Deduno has previously been removed from the 40 man, and every team in the league passed up the opportunity to take him for nothing, so I think if someone decides to offer you anything of substance for him, it'd be silly to pass it up.
    Yeah, the notion of Deduno as untouchable seems like a stretch. He wasn't able to make a rotation that still stands a reasonable chance of being one of the ten or even five worst in the majors, and his initial foray into relief has been...what's the positive word? Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Willingham is trade bait if he continues his good start. Something I hoped for but doubted after such a poor ST.

Question: if Willingham continues his rebound, and the offers for him, straight or part of a package, are limited, is the team better off just keeping him to play out the season and help the lineup for 2013? Not sure he couldn't be somewhat easily replaced next off season.
    Doubt he'll be able to help the 2013 lineup/results.

Depends on what we're offered for him. No way to answer without having some feel for that. But IMO, the only untouchables on the 25 man roster are Mauer, Gibson, Perkins, Hicks, Arcia, and probably Dozier, Pinto and Suzuki. And maybe Thielbar, given he's a successful lefty with lots of years of control left. And even with those guys, untouchable is a relative term. Everybody has a price; I just think the price on those guys will be sufficiently high to scare away any bidders.

W/r/t Willingham, one could argue that it also depends on whether his performance this year will enable us to get a sandwich pick if he leaves via free agency. But that would require us to make a qualifying offer, and I doubt we'll do that unless he's tearing up the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    We kept him for days like today. When are starter struggles. He is sort of a 6th starter. I would like to see him traded but nobody is gonna give ANYTHING.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are 7 days into the season and so far the pitching has been extremely substandard, the offense has made the games watchable and for the most part enjoyable.

If the Twins are .500ish team come late July and the offense is the real McCoy and the pitching rebounds (which you have to believe will happen... right?), I could see the Twins trading Correia, or maybe Pelfrey (very doubtful) if Meyer is kickin' down the door.

Maybe a trade of Willingham or Kubel could happen, but if the Twins offense is going good come mid-summer, I would be shocked if the Twins traded them for anything less than a stellar product.

It has been 3 years of crap baseball and if the product on the field is holding the attention of the fans, I cannot see them taking a deuce on the last two months of the season, driving the fans away.

This is me being optimistic... who the hell knows what this year's team will become. It is too early to tell.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wrote a blog a couple weeks ago about this. Believe it or not...things have dramatically changed since then. Maybe. I dont believe Kubal gets traded. He will either stay with the twins or be given his release. Willingham, Corria and Pelfry could all be traded. Plouffe and Suziki are probables. Catchers like Suzuki have value for years so maybe Twins keep him ala Redmond. Burton and Deduno are available. Duensing would be availabke but my guess is the twins would call him in the offseason if he was traded. If he isnt traded my guess is non-tendered and re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I wrote a blog a couple weeks ago about this. Believe it or not...things have dramatically changed since then. Maybe. I dont believe Kubal gets traded. He will either stay with the twins or be given his release. Willingham, Corria and Pelfry could all be traded. Plouffe and Suziki are probables. Catchers like Suzuki have value for years so maybe Twins keep him ala Redmond. Burton and Deduno are available. Duensing would be availabke but my guess is the twins would call him in the offseason if he was traded. If he isnt traded my guess is non-tendered and re-signed.
    You think we would trade burton?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast