Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/8): May Has A Day

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/8): May Has A Day

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great pitching by May. Would be great if he can keep it going. Lots of good stuff happened in that last game. I like how Santana came in off the bench and got a pinch hit to tie the game too.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Opening day 2015 it better be:

Nolasco, Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May in some order.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    it better be:
    I'm encouraged by May's start too, but this kind of talk is just counter productive.

Good to see Mastroianni off to a good start.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I'm encouraged by May's start too, but this kind of talk is just counter productive.
    May had two very bad starts last year that mask a very good year. If you take out those 5 ip, 16 er, and 8 bb you are left with very encouraging numbers. A 3.75 era, 3bb per 9, and over a k an inning.

Of course any pitchers numbers would improve if you remove his worst two starts, but I don't know of any that had only 2 of 28 starts had as big of an impact. Maybe we should look at medians as well. He had 0, 1, or 2 er in 14 of his 28 starts. He had three additional starts with 3 ER, two of those were quality starts and the other missed by one out.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-09-2014 at 08:08 AM.

7. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (04-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    May had two very bad starts last year that mask a very good year. If you take out those 5 ip, 16 er, and 8 bb you are left with very encouraging numbers. A 3.75 era, 3bb per 9, and over a k an inning.

Of course any pitchers numbers would improve if you remove his worst two starts, but I don't know of any that had only 2 of 28 starts had as big of an impact. Maybe we should look at medians as well. He had 0, 1, or 2 er in 14 of his 28 starts. He had three additional starts with 3 ER, two of those were quality starts and the other missed by one out.
    I don't have time to do the legwork but one way to get around this would be to take the two best and the two worst games out to see how he did. That's pretty common practice in statistical measures to get rid of outliers.

Either way, encouraging first start for May and would love to see him show better control this year like he did in his first start.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Also just glanced at Fall league stats, he had a 3/1 K/BB rate in 14 innings in the AFL, that's also encouraging. Still early but hopefully he's figured something out control wise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    I don't have time to do the legwork but one way to get around this would be to take the two best and the two worst games out to see how he did. That's pretty common practice in statistical measures to get rid of outliers.

Either way, encouraging first start for May and would love to see him show better control this year like he did in his first start.
    If you remove his 2.2 and 4 IP outings in which he gave up 16 ER and his best two, which were two 7 IP, scoreless frames...his ERA goes from 4.51 to 4.15.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Also thrilled to see Mastroianni doing well. Get him up to the big leagues.