Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Article: Why is Joe Mauer Such a Lightning Rod?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    What other player has changed to fit their "role", though?
    I think it's more frequent then you might think. The issue is that you're looking at it from a results point of view and I look at it from approach. When Mauer annoys me or I feel like being critical is when he deliberately remains passive because that's his way. I can only speak for myself, but I would be just fine if he got more aggressive and it was still only singles. I don't fault the guy for being a line drive hitter. But man would I like him to lace a few more singles on those grooved "strike ones" then he currently does. Particularly in crucial situations.

I'm also a bit dubious of how much he's tried to change his approach. I'm curious when people think this was attempted.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Here's another one for you.
    He makes all that money, but he's so cheap he won't spring for a babysitter, so now he's bringing his kids to the office.
    http://wapc.mlb.com/cutfour/2014/04/...-babies-mascot
    JK, but I wouldn't be surprised by very much at this point... you heard it here first, folks!
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Of course, you and I and everyone else posting in this thread aren't going to increase or decrease diddly; only Joe can do that. The same Joe that still may be recovering from a recent head injury. There is science involved there as well, and that has been singularly ignored by just about everybody here, on either side of the coin.
    In all I've seen and heard, it's happening on the national level as well, hence it's being called "The Buster Posey Rule". If TLaR or national media ever mentions Mauer with regard to the collision rule, I'll eat my hat.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    In all I've seen and heard, it's happening on the national level as well, hence it's being called "The Buster Posey Rule". If TLaR or national media ever mentions Mauer with regard to the collision rule, I'll eat my hat.
    The national media barely acknowledges the existence of the State. Usually only if something bad happens.

I hope more is learned about this before it gets to the time Matt Birk's brain is under the scopes.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    I may be repeating what someone else has said but, maybe, just maybe, Mauer knows what he's doing. Maybe he's part of that small 99.9% group of players that are taught to look for a particular type of pitch in a particular zone in a hitters count. And maybe, because he has little fear of not being able to get the barrel on the ball, he considers 0-0 a hitters count for him. And maybe the pitch and zone he looks for ain't a grooved fastball down the center of the plate. And maybe if he did look there for that more often his BA on first pitches would drop substantially from almost .500, which ain't too bad.

Here's an anecdote for ya. I think it was the last year at the dome, Verlander threw one up and in, 98 MPH. Mauer was looking for that pitch in that zone, turned on it and hit it in the upper deck. Verlander was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I threw that ball exactly where I wanted. No one else in baseball can do that to that pitch."

6. These 2 users like Paul's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-11-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-11-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    FSN just played a (translated) quote from Sano that he chose Minnesota because of Joe Mauer. Will ceases never wonder.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this says it all
    http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/4/11...le-mutilations

man Randball Stu is funny!

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I think this says it all
    http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/4/11...le-mutilations

man Randball Stu is funny!
    Or not at all.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Or not at all.
    Yup. Many brain cells died to bring us that column. And it didn't look like there were a whole lot to spare.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 685 Posts
    I'd like to see the kicking over tables and lighting things on fire to win correlation data...........does anybody have that handy?

12. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-12-2014)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718