Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Wild

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here's a crazy idea:

Koivu, Zucker, and a pick to Vancouver for Kesler?

Right handed shot, good defender, better skater, better scorer. He'd make a good fit and there would no longer be a pressure to treat anyone other than Granlund as the top centerman. (Like, say, putting Koivu on the powerplay....constantly....*puke*)

Also, on Kessel - not a good skater. I think I'd rather them look at a guy like Cammalleri who has some position flexibility.
    Kessel not a good skater...................wha?

Cammalleri is harder but Kessel is much more dangerous and 5 years younger, he still hasn't reached his ceiling and I'm not even that much of a fan.

Vancouver isn't parting with Kesler for that, if they decide to move him it will be for more youth than Koivu.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Kessel not a good skater...................wha?
    Sorry, stuck with Vanek on the brain.

Cammalleri is harder but Kessel is much more dangerous and 5 years younger, he still hasn't reached his ceiling and I'm not even that much of a fan.

Vancouver isn't parting with Kesler for that, if they decide to move him it will be for more youth than Koivu.
    I think it's worth a shot with Kesler, there are a lot of issues in Vancouver and they need a total rebuild. I think he's a guy you can go out and target as an ideal replacement of Koivu. And since I think the odds of landing Kessel are somewhere between slim and none....I'd rather target someone who might be more obtainable.

Cripes, I was going to say..... Kessel may be the best skater in the NHL.

Nobody is going to take Miko's contract unless we give it away for nothing. I mean, the guy is decent at 2-4 million. He's good defensively and can win a draw, but goddamn. The guy makes more top 5 center money, and probably isn't even the best center on his team. The contract is dreadful.

I think it's worth a shot with Kesler, there are a lot of issues in Vancouver and they need a total rebuild. I think he's a guy you can go out and target as an ideal replacement of Koivu. And since I think the odds of landing Kessel are somewhere between slim and none....I'd rather target someone who might be more obtainable.
    Getting Kesler is worth a shot for any team, who wouldn't want a 29 year old top 3 two way forward? Problem is, it's a waste of time Kesler isn't coming to St. Paul. A. he doesn't want to play there and B. they don't have the goods to offer. I'm guessing he ends up in Pittsburgh, they should have done more to get him at the deadline and now after another early playoff exit they are going to shake things up, Letang in a package deal.

Vanek would be a great fit for this team, I don't get the skating issue, he fits in fine with Montreal and they are arguably a better skating team than the Wild. He drives the net and has a knack of finding space, he's good anywhere. The biggest issue is what he's looking for, he's 30 and will be looking for a 6 or 7 year deal, I'm not sure the Wild want to go that route unless they feel they are in a position to go deep in the next 2-3 years, which is going to be his highest production window.

Hiller or Halek,and Niskanen would help a lot, although I think Fletcher will ride with Harding and Kuemper. The Cammalleri idea is a good one, can't see it happening though, Michalek or Callahan would be upgrades IMO, or.................................you can have Setogouchi back .

A. he doesn't want to play there and B. they don't have the goods to offer. I'm guessing he ends up in Pittsburgh, they should have done more to get him at the deadline and now after another early playoff exit they are going to shake things up, Letang in a package deal.
    Letang and Koivu aren't that much different as trade pieces. They're both players with one aspect of their game sorely behind the others. The Wild definitely have ammunition to make moves, that isn't the problem. They also have the cap space to get creative with those moves. Kesler should be a target for them.

Vanek would be a great fit for this team, I don't get the skating issue, he fits in fine with Montreal
    He's been demoted to the second line and there have been issues with him there as well. The guy is inconsistent and not known for being fleet of foot. Among many other issues with him I just don't like the fit.

Letang and Koivu aren't that much different as trade pieces. They're both players with one aspect of their game sorely behind the others.
    Not quite, one is four years younger and a game changer, that puts him in a different category. I can't think of one team that would choose Koivu over what Letang brings to the table offensively, he's a poor man's Drew Doughty but that's pretty good.

Hey don't get me wrong Kesler is a great idea just not going to happen, at least not without two strong prospects and a high draft pick, it's not the right time for the Wild to start doing that IMO.

I don't know the many issues with Vanek, it's well documented he's not the greatest two way player around, other than that he is who he is, a guy who scores goals, that's a valuable commodity. Not saying he's the right fit but the Wild PP likely would have been much more effective with a guy like that around.

Not quite, one is four years younger and a game changer, that puts him in a different category. I can't think of one team that would choose Koivu over what Letang brings to the table offensively, he's a poor man's Drew Doughty but that's pretty good.
    Doughty? The only thing they they have in common is their position. And Letang is a d-man in name only. He's a total liability.

Hey don't get me wrong Kesler is a great idea just not going to happen, at least not without two strong prospects and a high draft pick, it's not the right time for the Wild to start doing that IMO.
    Going rate these days ain't what it used to be.

Doughty? The only thing they they have in common is their position. And Letang is a d-man in name only. He's a total liability.
    Doughty is a great player but he's inconsistent as hell. Norris trophy candidate defensemen who play 25+ minutes a night against top 6 forwards and run the PP are never liabilities.

Doughty is a great player but he's inconsistent as hell. Norris trophy candidate defensemen who play 25+ minutes a night against top 6 forwards and run the PP are never liabilities.
    One who has played a grand total 110ish games in the last three years and has become a minus player who most people recognize as a defensive liability.

One who has played a grand total 110ish games in the last three years and has become a minus player who most people recognize as a defensive liability.
    Yeah, strokes and concussions will do that to you (see Crosby Sid, for the latter). The guy has still put up the 2nd highest point total amongst defensemen in the last 3-4 years, and despite logging huge pp minutes is still amongst the league leaders in even strength goals.

Labeling Letang any as a liability after this season is a mistake, he's way too young and talented, you don't write off guys a year removed from being a Norris trophy finalist, especially considering what he went through. I think most people recognize that, at least they should.

Geez, I don't even like Pittsburgh.

Yeah, strokes and concussions will do that to you (see Crosby Sid, for the latter). The guy has still put up the 2nd highest point total amongst defensemen in the last 3-4 years, and despite logging huge pp minutes is still amongst the league leaders in even strength goals.

Labeling Letang any as a liability after this season is a mistake, he's way too young and talented, you don't write off guys a year removed from being a Norris trophy finalist, especially considering what he went through. I think most people recognize that, at least they should.

Geez, I don't even like Pittsburgh.
    Norris trophies are largely driven by offensive production, not defensive prowess. He's been waning for years in addition to not being able to stay on the ice.

Norris trophies are largely driven by offensive production, not defensive prowess. He's been waning for years in addition to not being able to stay on the ice.
    Well sort of, they are driven more by overall production and offensive defensemen who play big minutes, score lots of points and have high possession totals are hard to find and have a much bigger impact.

Oh well, agree to disagree, I think you greatly underestimate Letang, he's a special player. He's had a bad year but it's not a story of him waning, he was in the conversation for the Canadian Olympic team right up until it was announced, he deservedly didn't get picked but if you're even top 12 in that group you're a damn good player. He's a top second pairing on any other team, arguably first pairing and first team PP anywhere.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 05-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Woohoo Blackhawks!

Didn't want to start a new thread just for that ... but ... hadda say it!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Vanek to the Wild 3 years, 6.5 mil a year.

What a steal for the Wild, I know many of us were concerned with giving him a 6-7 year deal, but for this amount it is an absolute no brainer, Vanek instantly becomes our best scorer and will put pucks in the net. Also this contract will not prevent us from locking up any of the young studs on this roster: Coyle, Granlund, Coyle etc.

The crazy thing is: His contract is only like 5 million more than what Stoner just got from the Ducks!

At this point, I would LOVE to see them go all in this year and get Iginlia for a one or two year deal.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Agreed, the Vanek deal sure looks good right now. Hopefully, whatever he did that ticked the Canadiens off enough to demote him to the 4th line isn't a sign of things to come. I think it's exactly the type of deal the Wild need to make right now, though. Would love to see them find another top Defenseman now to take the pressure off Suter. Someone that is strong in front of the goal, but can also move the puck. If they can add that, the young players improve and they manage to get a couple of healthy goalies, they would certainly be in position to compete with the Blackhawks and Kings for a shot at the Cup.

Keep it going Fletcher!!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    This is why I do not buy the"wait until the minors are good argument" for not signing FA. This team is an example of adding a great player or two puts you closer to good, so there is no argument that you are not close. Increment your team every year.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Spezza to the stars, Statsny to the Blues, iginlia to the Avs....holy crap this division is going to be amazing to watch overall next year.

Iginla just replaces Statsny for the Avs, probably a downgrade at this point (unless they are playing the Wild). The Avs also traded for Daniel Briere, which is an upgrade. Sabres re-signed Moulson and McCormick - was a very expensive rental for the Wild, I guess. Don't know why more teams don't try the same thing with FA to-be veterans when they are out of it. Great deal for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is why I do not buy the"wait until the minors are good argument" for not signing FA. This team is an example of adding a great player or two puts you closer to good, so there is no argument that you are not close. Increment your team every year.
    Couldn't agree more. This is especially true in baseball where the "hit rate" for prospects, even HIGHLY rated ones is pretty low. At least the Wild appear to be intent on trying to win.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    yes, big fan of the Wild approach
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast