Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royals fan looking for information

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Royals fan looking for information

Hey guys, I hope this is the right section to put this in, but me and some buddies are going to come up there for a game in August (the 16th, specifically), and I was hoping you could give us some advice ticket wise. We're looking at the left field bleachers, as that seems to fit our price range, and our desire to be as low as possible, but was curious if there were any other options we should look at. It will be a guy trip, so if there are any "all you can eat/drink" seats, etc. we'd be interested in those, also if there are just better seats usually available, we'd be willing to spend a little more (but we have to save as much as we can for beer!).

Thanks for the input, guys, it's been many years since I've been up that way, and I'm looking forward to it. Any other tips you can give me would be great. If you happen to see us, say hi, we're pretty nice guys. Hell, last year we even got along with Cardinals fans in St. Louis, which is saying something.

How many people?
    When do you want to buy your tickets? (I wouldn't worry about it being a sellout.)

If you want to buy in advance of arriving in Mpls. your best bet is probably going to be StubHub. Regular price on left field bleacher seats are $24, I think. You could probably upgrade to seats between the bases, on the lower level for around $25 on StubHub, especially if you waited until the day of the game. If you wanted to get left field bleacher seats on StubHub I bet they would be around $10. If you can wait to buy on the day of the game you can get some serious bargains on StubHub.

I went to a Tigers game on a weeknight last September and got 2nd level seats behind the dugout, regularly $35, for $4 each. Granted, the Twins were awful, it was a school night (Tues. night, I think), late in the season, but it was quite the bargain.

I've used StubHub quite a few times.

Your other option is to buy from scalpers on the street.

There aren't any "all you can eat/drink seats" that I know of. If you are going to drink beer, by all means check out the stuff brewed locally that's available at Target Field, especially Surly Beer. M-m-m-m-mmm.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 04-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

3. This user likes powrwrap's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The key question is the size of your group. Another key clue is your arrival date: August 16th. From the early looks of things, there should be plenty of seats available, and well below face value. So, you may want to wait a few months in case the market drops--which seems likely.

If you want the tickets "in hand" before driving up, then use StubHub or Ticket King--Ticket King is more local and I prefer working with them, although they may not have the same options.

Scalpers are fine, if you have time before the game, and your group isn't too large. They would prefer to sell in sets of 2,4, 6, etc.., not odd numbers. The other option, though rare is to buy early and swap tickets with scalpers before the game if you want to upgrade.

Finally, it wasn't that many years ago that my Dad & I watched meaningful Twins games in August at Kauffman Stadium. The Royal fans were dumping their tickets and we got great seats for a song. Looks like it's your turn. I hope the Royals are in contention in August. Sounds like a fun time.

5. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    There's not a bad seat in the house, my friend. Beers are 8+ a pop, I think. However there a ton of good places to hang out just outside the park to eat drink and be merry, before and after the game. Why not come for two games, and just plan on doing a lot of walking around (if you are able) for one of the games, just to soak it in. Heck, come for the whole three game series.

If you do, don't forget your brooms

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    You mean so we can borrow them, right? You're not allowed to be that negative in April - they are still the Royals.

8. These 2 users like gil4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-11-2014), twinsfan34 (04-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    You mean so we can borrow them, right? You're not allowed to be that negative in April - they are still the Royals.
    While I'm at it, my avatar is going to kick your avatar's football this time, too.
    Last edited by gil4; 04-11-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: ^%&$ typo

10. These 2 users like gil4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014), Thirty-three (04-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's not a bad seat in the house, my friend. Beers are 8+ a pop, I think. However there a ton of good places to hang out just outside the park to eat drink and be merry, before and after the game. Why not come for two games, and just plan on doing a lot of walking around (if you are able) for one of the games, just to soak it in. Heck, come for the whole three game series.

I like the two game idea. Book a hotel downtown here next to the stadium. All sorts of hotels and bars near the stadium.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I like the two game idea. Book a hotel downtown here next to the stadium. All sorts of hotels and bars near the stadium. No need for a car.
    If you're not right near the stadium, I think the light rail was the way to go for the Dome. Is that still the case for Target Field? (I haven't been back since 2009.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're not right near the stadium, I think the light rail was the way to go for the Dome. Is that still the case for Target Field? (I haven't been back since 2009.)
    Light rail can take you to the mall of america and back in 15 minutes each way. I think a ride is 2-3 bucks

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    How many people?

There aren't any "all you can eat/drink seats" that I know of. If you are going to drink beer, by all means check out the stuff brewed locally that's available at Target Field, especially Surly Beer. M-m-m-m-mmm.
    The only "all you can eat/drink" seats are part of the champions club (right behind home plate). If you can even find those tickets, they are going to be pricey. So, it'd probably be a better use of your money just to buy tickets for some other section and buy food/drink as you need it.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    While I'm at it, my avatar is going to kick your avatar's football this time, too.
    As you are an original member here at TD and I am still a relative newbie, I really have no right to keep teasing you like this

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ticket King is highly recommended. They support TwinsDaily, they're local, and they always have good, cheap tickets available.

There's not really a bad seat in Target Field so you can't go wrong.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there a $10 concession voucher/credit that comes with seats in the Great Clips section in RF?

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I like the two game idea. Book a hotel downtown here next to the stadium. All sorts of hotels and bars near the stadium.
    We usually stay downtown close to Target Field and we have had good luck with Priceline for hotels. I think we have paid in the range of $50-$75 a night and have stayed at the Westin, Marriot, Radisson, and Marquette. All are within walking distance to Target Field.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By August the Green Line will be open. What I would do is drive up 35E into Saint Paul, stay at a hotel there, something near 7th Street. There are a lot of bars and stuff in the area so you can pre-game there. Walk up to University and take the green line into Target Field. Don't go to Bloomington there's nothing out there but chain restaurants and hotels.

20. These 2 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe KC you can stay here and open up a classic BBQ place that serves burnt ends.

22. These 2 users like thetank's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014), TheLeviathan (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Over the years, me and a group of buddies has made a summer road trip to KC to soak up Kaufmann and to pig out on good KC BBQ. As it's an 8-hour drive, I figure 3-day weekend is the way to go.

Tickets should not be an issue, and there's tons of good suggestions here.

As you mentioned beer on the wishlist/things to do, I have to say, the Twin Cities are becoming something of a beer Disneyland at present. The beer selection on offer right now is hard to absorb at times, and so is the depth and breadth of food options. Brew pubs all over, local/organic/gastro insanity- we've got it all.

Beer is a matter of taste, and there are so many options, it's silly.
    What you MUST do is make a pilgrimage to Matt's over on 35th & Cedar for a Juicy Lucy.
    If that does it for you, next go to the Blue Door in St. P for 'Bluecy'.
    http://www.mattsbar.com/
    http://www.thebluedoorpubmn.com/

In picking a local brew, Summit will never do you wrong.

Hope you have a great trip- give yourself extra time to eat, drink, and explore. I'm sure you'll love it, and make it annual thing, as we do.

Finally- if time permits- check out a St. Paul Saints game.
    This is indy ball done right.
    http://saintsbaseball.com/

Not sure when I'll make it to KC this year, but I *should* be in town when you are- send a PM, I'll show you around. Otherwise, maybe TD group activity...?
    Last edited by BigTrane; 04-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    lots of great breweries to visti here in town, if you like craft brew. There is one close to the stadium, I believe.....as for where to stay.....Cheap....Bloomington and light rail. Close....downtown and walk.....best food/local feel, the St. Paul idea above.
    Lighten up Francis....

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for all the info, guys. Our group is only 4, so it sounds like waiting for tickets may be the way to go. We do have one guy that is weird about heights, so we need to be in a lower level, which if Target field is anything like the K most of the time, that doesn't mean we can't buy a higher level ticket and move down. I would feel bad doing that though on the off chance we have to sit high, and he's not able to enjoy the game.

We definitely are going to try to check out a brewery, and go on a tour if possible. We are in only the second year of our quest to see a game in every ballpark, and we're going to see the Royals as much as possible (We're doing Chicago next year, and are hoping to do parks, like a Sox/KC Cubs/Cards trip would be great) as well as hit a local brewery and take a tour if possible. We went to St. Louis last year, and went to Schlafly, and well, if any of you are ever there, they are some of the coolest guys ever.

I was looking at Surly as a possiblity for the brewery to visit. I hear great things about their beer, and I can't get it here (Summit is available here, so I want to try some new things I can't get at home). Hopefully they're doing tours that Saturday (or better on Friday).

As far as staying and opening a real BBQ joint, I'd love to, but money and a lack of resturaunt experience would make it tough. I do a few competitions throughout the year, though, and think I make some mighty fine burnt ends.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Over the years, me and a group of buddies has made a summer road trip to KC to soak up Kaufmann and to pig out on good KC BBQ. As it's an 8-hour drive, I figure 3-day weekend is the way to go.

Tickets should not be an issue, and there's tons of good suggestions here.

As you mentioned beer on the wishlist/things to do, I have to say, the Twin Cities are becoming something of a beer Disneyland at present. The beer selection on offer right now is hard to absorb at times, and so is the depth and breadth of food options. Brew pubs all over, local/organic/gastro insanity- we've got it all.

Beer is a matter of taste, and there are so many options, it's silly.
    What you MUST do is make a pilgrimage to Matt's over on 35th & Cedar for a Juicy Lucy.
    If that does it for you, next go to the Blue Door in St. P for 'Bluecy'.
    http://www.mattsbar.com/
    http://www.thebluedoorpubmn.com/

In picking a local brew, Summit will never do you wrong.

Hope you have a great trip- give yourself extra time to eat, drink, and explore. I'm sure you'll love it, and make it annual thing, as we do.

Finally- if time permits- check out a St. Paul Saints game.
    This is indy ball done right.
    http://saintsbaseball.com/

Not sure when I'll make it to KC this year, but I *should* be in town when you are- send a PM, I'll show you around. Otherwise, maybe TD group activity...?
    Is the food scene really exploding that much up there? I live in CA but was born in MN always think about moving back. I am a chef and the image burned into my mind from childhood is chain restaurants and diners (though I never did live in the cities), and I want no part of that.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast