Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royals fan looking for information

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Sounds good... give yourself a little extra time.

NE Mpls. is especially strong with brew pubs.
    For shows/happenings/whatever is going on at the moment, check City Pages:
    http://www.citypages.com/

If you go home bored, you did it wrong.
    Listen to the podcast- they're always going to different bars, trying different brews.
    There's a ton going on- have a field day.
    Jump in- I'm sure you'll make this an annual event.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Also, I have heard of the juicy lucy, and we'll have to try that. We're not that big of guys on some of the more "fancy" dining, I believe that the best way to learn about a place, and it's culture, is to eat where the locals eat. Unless they eat at Chili's. That's no bueno.

3. These 2 users like KC's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-11-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-11-2014)

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    As you are an original member here at TD and I am still a relative newbie, I really have no right to keep teasing you like this
    Anyone who can reference Hosken Powell and Bombo Rivera in a screen name, two of my favorite love/hate Twins from the bad old days, gets a lot of leeway in my book. Now if you could have worked Willie Norwood in there too...is the "Disco" maybe some kind of hidden code that I don't have?

5. These 3 users like gil4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-11-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-11-2014), Longdistancetwins (04-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    Is the food scene really exploding that much up there? I live in CA but was born in MN always think about moving back. I am a chef and the image burned into my mind from childhood is chain restaurants and diners (though I never did live in the cities), and I want no part of that.
    Depends on when you are back, where you go, what you look for, how long you've been gone.

Personally, I worked at Uptown, Buca, and opened the kitchen at Old Chicago- one of the (if not the) first brew pubs in Mpls thru my undergrad days at the U. From my perspective, so much has changed since then... breadth and depth is amazing. As a kid, there was 1 (one!) Chinese place in Mpls- Nanking. Then the Leann Chin... chain, ugh.
    (Full disclosure, I am in Hong Kong.)

I dunno, start a thread: next time back where to go, what to eat?

I'm certain that:
    a) you won't be bored with the beer selection available
    b) there is no way in h*** you will be able sample all that is good food-wise in a short trip back.

MPLS is #1 for bike-friendly cities (we beat Seattle) and on foodie lists, we're way up there. Add music and art... summertime stuff...

TD, back me up on this!

7. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Then Matt's is your place.
    Not fancy.
    Just dribble-down-your-chin-but-spash-some-beer-on-good.

Keep an eye out on the brew pubs tho, Mpls is low-key.
    Give that a shot, but don't look for good BBQ!
    Don't want to break your heart...
    Do check out Pho Quan on Nicollet.

9. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (04-11-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    surly is good, but there are better places.....imo.

Dangerous Man
    Indeed (most like Surly better)

are two good breweries near each other....
    Lighten up Francis....

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Hmmm...if they're close, maybe we should try to hit both of them up. We'll be getting in sometime Friday, best guess is early evening, and leaving sometime Sunday (As long as I'm back before I have to get my son up Monday morning, I shouldn't get too much grief from the wife), so it's certainly possible to do all 3, as well.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Depends on when you are back, where you go, what you look for, how long you've been gone.

Personally, I worked at Uptown, Buca, and opened the kitchen at Old Chicago- one of the (if not the) first brew pubs in Mpls thru my undergrad days at the U. From my perspective, so much has changed since then... breadth and depth is amazing. As a kid, there was 1 (one!) Chinese place in Mpls- Nanking. Then the Leann Chin... chain, ugh.
    (Full disclosure, I am in Hong Kong.)

I dunno, start a thread: next time back where to go, what to eat?

I'm certain that:
    a) you won't be bored with the beer selection available
    b) there is no way in h*** you will be able sample all that is good food-wise in a short trip back.

MPLS is #1 for bike-friendly cities (we beat Seattle) and on foodie lists, we're way up there. Add music and art... summertime stuff...

TD, back me up on this!
    Hmm I have been back many times to visit my Dad, but they are not big foodies so PF Changs is kinda their go to. I will have to look into it because gastropub is right up my alley, and there is not a big scene for it where I am, more wineries and seafood here.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Go to Gasthof's if you want a new experience...

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2014...utlichkeit.php

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I like the two game idea. Book a hotel downtown here next to the stadium. All sorts of hotels and bars near the stadium.
    Cheaper hotels in Bloomington--and take the train to the stadium $1.75 each way per person.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Back at you, KC?

Best BBQ in KC? Oklahoma Joes, Gates, Woodyard? What's your pick?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the food scene really exploding that much up there? I live in CA but was born in MN always think about moving back. I am a chef and the image burned into my mind from childhood is chain restaurants and diners (though I never did live in the cities), and I want no part of that.
    It has completely exploded. It's huge in Minneapolis. IN the suburbs, there are a lot of chains. But in the Minneapolis neighborhoods, the number of small indy places is impressive, IMHO.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK. Let's break this down....

SEATS - Don't buy very early. Buy from Ticket King, who can hand you the tickets downtown and get them much cheaper than from the Twins. There will be plenty available the day of or before the game.

In terms of location, the best beer is down the right field line, and also the best food, IMHO, which is the Butcher and Boar rib tips. Those are also damn good seats - you miss deep in right field, but you have a great view of the infield. I'd also highly recommend batting practice, which can be gorgeous on a summer day.

If you want to go really cheap on tickets AND are more interested in the bar scene than sitting down and watching the game, just get the cheapest seats you can, get there early, and camp out at the bar on the 2nd level down the left field line. It's first come-first serve, standing rail spots and very active if you like to socialize.

Finally, this post should help a bunch for beer drinkers at Target Field:

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/17...s-In-The-House

BEERS - Two great breweries within blocks of the ballparks, Fulton and Freehouse, which I'll proudly pimp as they're a supporter of Twins Daily. There are also numerous good places around the ballpark (like Masons) that serve local beers as the Twin Cities has something like 20 local breweries suddenly. There are several within a couple miles of the ballpark (short taxi), including 612 Brew, who supplied beer for the Twins Daily Meltdown. I don't know from your post if you care much about local beer, but it is popular here.

Hotels: I'm a huge believer in Priceline, but if you have a bunch of guy splitting a room or need multiple rooms, also try Hotwire's secret deals. There is a 95% chance you'll end up in a hotel you'll like in downtown Minneapolis.

SHHHH - It's possible there would be a Twins Daily event that day, ala the Grand Drunk Railroad from last year when Glen Perkins bought us beers. It's not finalized, that might not be the date and you didn't hear it from me. Ignore this paragraph.

18. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Hmm I have been back many times to visit my Dad, but they are not big foodies so PF Changs is kinda their go to. I will have to look into it because gastropub is right up my alley, and there is not a big scene for it where I am, more wineries and seafood here.
    PFC? You're killing me.

As I write, I am in Hong Kong, home of Dim Sum. I'm not putting you down, but there's so much going on in the TC esp. w/Vietnamese food.
    Things have changed- celebrae it.

If you want good Chinese Dim Sum, go to SLP, go to the Yangtze. The managers and servers come from where I'm teaching. It's the real deal.

As for beer, the change in laws in the last 2 years has led to an explosion of brew pubs, especially in NE. Game-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    is the "Disco" maybe some kind of hidden code that I don't have?
    Seriously? Hosken has got the best name on TD!

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Don't forget TD members get a discount from Ticket King. See the Ticket King thread in the Minnesota Twins Talk forum for how to redeem the voucher.

Go to Matt's
    Book downtown through Priceline ( countless decent hotels)
    Do Fultons
    Have a Kramarchuks sausage at the game.

22. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-13-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12