Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Twins Sign Dozier Long Term?

Should Twins Sign Dozier Long Term?

What kind of contract would he warrant?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    We're not in a rush. Ask me again in a year or two.

No real point in doing so. He doesn't become a free agent until 2019 when he is 32. He is a solid 2B, but no all-star and he we have some interesting 2B in the minors.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not yet. I'd love to see an OPS around .775 + for at least one full season before they should commit.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    None. Go year to year with him. They control him for at least 3 more years (can't remember exactly how long). He isn't going to get overly expensive. Just live with the year to year deals

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Dozier is the perfect example of how the Twins need to proceed to be successful in the long run. Use him for his cost controlled years and then trade him for whatever you can get for him. Underlines the importance of a good minor league system. This way, they always have the money to re-sign their legit stars such as (hopefully) Sano, Buxton, etc.

This is especially true for Dozier since we control him until 32 which is the point in time I am not signing any middle infielders to contract extensions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not yet. I'd love to see an OPS around .775 + for at least one full season before they should commit.
    .775 seems like a high bar, that would have put him top 5 in OPS among 2B last year. Given that we really like his glove, if he is in the .730 range or higher I would consider a deal with him. It would only make sense if it buys out two years of free agency and does not come with a no trade clause. If someone like Polanco establishes himself as a 2B candidate, Dozier's contract would be an asset on the trade market.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'd wait until he proves he can put up a decent OBP.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I agree, one more year of this before signing. He's not a future all star, gotta keep guy. And, like most Twins lately, didnt' come up young.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 167 Posts
    NO. He can be a free agent 2019, 5 years away. He only has 1000 ab's and has been both bad and good. .177 with 12 k's this year certainly isn't something to jump up and down about. Maybe in a couple years if he hits well over that time but there is no reason to be in a hurry.

Think about that one, our leadoff hitter is hitting .177! Must be part of that master Ryan rebuild plan to have nobody to lead off for 2+ years now.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I do like the idea of getting him extended, but not until late in the season or later. I'm also not worried about him getting expensive, but if he ends up being a useful player, I do like the idea of getting him into a team friendly contract like they did with Denard Span if for no other reason than to increase his value if the team were to move him.

Still plenty to prove though.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. I want to see him put up solid numbers in consecutive years before offering him any long term deal. Plus, with him being under team control for the next 5 seasons, it may be in their best interest to let him play out the deal and address things in 2019. (If he turns into an All-Star 2nd baseman before that time, you extend - albeit short term since he'll be 32 in '19. If he stays the same - good but not great - you to fill internally).

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    .775 seems like a high bar, that would have put him top 5 in OPS among 2B last year. Given that we really like his glove, if he is in the .730 range or higher I would consider a deal with him. It would only make sense if it buys out two years of free agency and does not come with a no trade clause. If someone like Polanco establishes himself as a 2B candidate, Dozier's contract would be an asset on the trade market.
    It's not a random number, it's what he put up in the second half last year. If that's his full-year OPS this year, I'd be thrilled. It might warrant a Span-like contract at that point, just to control costs over his expected time with the team, and enhance his trade value.

Polanco is at least two years away from being a viable option imo, so maybe a three-year deal to buy out his arbitration years would make sense, assuming "Deke" continues to hit like he has in the last four months of baseball for a full season. As it did with Span, this can enhance his trade value when the time comes.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with most, not yet. A good full season this year and it's worth thinking about.

In a way I kind of feel bad for Dozier, he has a ways to go still obviously, but he looks like he could be a really good player who'd be a worth a long-term deal. Unfortunately for him, he's sitting at one of the positions that looks to potentially be most replaceable by prospects in the near future with Rosario and Polanco, and I'll be curious to see if they ever do offer him a good deal or if he ends up having to move elsewhere to get that contract.

I must be seeing things.

A thread about signing a player rather than trading him for minor unproven leaguers.

16. These 2 users like DuluthFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (04-11-2014), Willihammer (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is it 5 years away (2019)...was thinking he had enough service time for only 3 more cost controlled years (2015, 2016, & 2017, FA in 2018)?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 167 Posts
    Per Baseball Ref:

Service Time (01/2014): 1.100, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2019 [*], Agents: ABC Mgmt Leventhal & Lapa [*]
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd wait and see if his 2013 second half was a fluke or not. He's got enough service time to put in where the Twins can get a pretty team friendly contract, and I'd argue that if he can hit the ball quite well this season, than towards the end of it, they should be doing the extension.

He's not going to be a Longoria, so the contract should be reasonbly priced. If he continues to hit, he's going to be tradable in the event that Rosario and/or Polanso force their way.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Er... I think there's a couple of things going on here.

1) Dozier was a (the?) bright spot last half of '13, and is a (the?) bright spot now.

Fine. On radar.

2) Dozier has been public in expressing his willingness for a long-term deal.
    Somewhat awkward, at this point.

My theory: Dozier crossed paths with Cuddyer somewhere.

I love Dozier, love watching him play in the field, and if he can make the adjustments (he's being tasked with a lot of stuff already) and pick OBP- I think he can do it- then what's not to love?

I agree with the others here: he has to prove that 1/2 of '13 was not a fluke, and that he can make the necessary adjustments. I have faith here.

Another question- just for fun- is what if he is transitioned back to his natural position at SS, and makes it work?

No more P-Flo-Bartlett-Nunez headaches.
    Does that make life easier... and winning more probable?
    Just spitballin'.

My bet: Dozier sticks it this year, and the contract discussions begin after game 162.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Er... I think there's a couple of things going on here.

1) Dozier was a (the?) bright spot last half of '13, and is a (the?) bright spot now.

Fine. On radar.

2) Dozier has been public in expressing his willingness for a long-term deal.
    Somewhat awkward, at this point.

My theory: Dozier crossed paths with Cuddyer somewhere.

I love Dozier, love watching him play in the field, and if he can make the adjustments (he's being tasked with a lot of stuff already) and pick OBP- I think he can do it- then what's not to love?

I agree with the others here: he has to prove that 1/2 of '13 was not a fluke, and that he can make the necessary adjustments. I have faith here.

Another question- just for fun- is what if he is transitioned back to his natural position at SS, and makes it work?

No more P-Flo-Bartlett-Nunez headaches.
    Does that make life easier... and winning more probable?
    Just spitballin'.

My bet: Dozier sticks it this year, and the contract discussions begin after game 162.
    If he put up the .775 OPS or something like that this season, I'd sign him in the offseason. I'd probably move him to SS when I knew Rosario was ready given the dearth at the position, though for some reason people seem to think that's a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast