Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Twins Sign Dozier Long Term?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is under control for 5 seasons, yet! I would wait 3 or 4 of them and then see about adding a couple years.

Sign him now until like 2020 or something? what?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I think the notion of even doing this reflects how desperate we are for something positive to hold on to.

3. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (04-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    He is under control for 5 seasons, yet! I would wait 3 or 4 of them and then see about adding a couple years.

Sign him now until like 2020 or something? what?
    Yeah, but the trend this season is for locking up talent early... thereby getting long-term bargains, when you factor in inflation. (AND drying out the FA market, btw.)

Case in point: The Barves (intentional foul). This is the new trend.

Dozier at least seems to have figured this out, perked his ears up, and made his wishes clear.

Think, for just a moment, about our history with developing middle infielders who have more than just a glove...

How many players have we seen get ready with the Twins, just to move on and only the fully blossom?
    Hunter?
    Cuddyer?
    Garza?
    Hawkins?
    AJ?
    Jacque Jones?

Ok, just kidding on JJ, but you know...

When do the Twins commit to a player who has proved/is proving himself at the MLB level?
    The Hunter and Santana situations still just gut me...
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    No, the Twins shouldn't commit to any long term deals in the shape they are in. In a couple of years when Gardy and his staff are gone and new blood takes over, then maybe give it some thought. There'll be alot of turnover here for the run for a hun in 2018.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Yeah, but the trend this season is for locking up talent early... thereby getting long-term bargains, when you factor in inflation. (AND drying out the FA market, btw.)

Case in point: The Barves (intentional foul). This is the new trend.

Dozier at least seems to have figured this out, perked his ears up, and made his wishes clear.

Think, for just a moment, about our history with developing middle infielders who have more than just a glove...

How many players have we seen get ready with the Twins, just to move on and only the fully blossom?
    Hunter?
    Cuddyer?
    Garza?
    Hawkins?
    AJ?
    Jacque Jones?

Ok, just kidding on JJ, but you know...

When do the Twins commit to a player who has proved/is proving himself at the MLB level?
    The Hunter and Santana situations still just gut me...
    I would say that in the cases where it was a matter of losing people in such way, working out a deal in the last arb year or in the last contract year could have kept them. Extending Dozier beyond 2018 before 2017 seems really risky, for all sorts of reasons. Even if Dozier is very good for the next 4.92 seasons

Before reading the comments here, I was in the mindset of extending Dozier after this season if last yr was not a fluke.........but I agree with most sentiments now that we should wait.......he is and will never be a superstar, so no need to extend till after 2016 or 17 if he shows he is worthy of a contract that would take away 2 of his free agent yrs.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    There is no reason to rush a Dozier extension. Furthermore, he is better suited at 2nd base than SS.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he has a good year, I think this is in play for next offseason. He'll still be on team-set contract in 2015, meaning no real long term security. It will be the last time the Twins will have a lot of leverage and they could get a real bargain, even getting something like a 3 year deal with a couple of option years.

Maybe 1/2.5/4.5/7.5 option/9 option? That might be a little optimistic, but it seems something close to that could work.

10. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (04-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any reason to sign him long term.

He is under team control into his decline. Worst case he is an all star and it costs the Twins in arbitration. That is the kind of worst case the a Twins need. Better to keep him hungry.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty funny that we all thought his BA would rise and his SLG would dip this season.

It still might but heh.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana may be trying out 2b at Rochester now that Eduardo Nunez is at AAA (he made his debut with the Red Wings at 3b). The Eddie Rosario experiment at 2b is postponed, but not necessarily cancelled. The Twins have lots of options regarding Dozier's service time--explained earlier in the thread. Let's see how this plays out over this summer. Maybe Dozier earns a long-term contract next spring? Maybe not.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Danny Santana may be trying out 2b at Rochester now that Eduardo Nunez is at AAA (he made his debut with the Red Wings at 3b). The Eddie Rosario experiment at 2b is postponed, but not necessarily cancelled. The Twins have lots of options regarding Dozier's service time--explained earlier in the thread. Let's see how this plays out over this summer. Maybe Dozier earns a long-term contract next spring? Maybe not.
    This makes no sense. I refuse to believe that Nunez will get much playing time at short, pushing the "shortstop of the future" to second base. If they do this, they are capable of any stupid decision.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier should have been the Twins' MVP for 2013. He is one of very few players on the Twins who is an asset in the field, on the bases and with a bat in his hands. He seems to be a really good guy and he likes playing here. I rank him as my favorite player on the current Twins team. That said, with the long period of team control in front of him and less than one year of good play behind him, now is not the time to extend him. The risks for the team would include injury and ineffectiveness, the reward would be if they signed him and then he "blew up" into an All-Star fixture. I do believe Dozier will continue to be a solid regular second baseman, but I doubt his improvement curve will put him in elite status.

On the player side, Dozier would be interested in an extension for an immediate (earned) large pay raise and security for the next several years. The risk to Dozier would be if he signed an extremely undervalued contract. Again, I doubt this will happen. If BD continued his improvement next offseason will be the time to extend him.

BTW, I think that projecting specific players into positions is risky and unwise. Even with top of the line prospects like Sano and Buxton, there has to be some caution. The guys that have been mentioned as possible replacements for Dozier at second aren't elite and there aren't any sure things.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If he has a good year, I think this is in play for next offseason. He'll still be on team-set contract in 2015, meaning no real long term security. It will be the last time the Twins will have a lot of leverage and they could get a real bargain, even getting something like a 3 year deal with a couple of option years.

Maybe 1/2.5/4.5/7.5 option/9 option? That might be a little optimistic, but it seems something close to that could work.
    I was just going over what I would do if Dozier had a good yr, and we were on the same wavelength: If he has a good yr this yr, my idea was to extend him with options thru his third FA yr........so my thinking was 1.9(first arb yr); 3.5; 5.0; and the 3 FA yrs team options of 7.0 ; 9.0 and 11.0. That would guarantee him 10.4 mil for 3 yrs, till age 31 and then Twins could decide if they wanted to use options yrs for age 32 thru 34.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with much of the group that says...at LEAST 1-2 more seasons before I'd talk contract extension.

A few reasons:

One, 2B is arguably our deepest position in the minors. With Rosario, Polanco, and Goodrum we have 3 of our top 15 prospects (or wherever Goodrum lands on your prospect list). Rosario and Polanco are top 8 across most publications. Rosario was at AA...Polanco and Goodrum at A+...so in 2 years they'd 'expected' to push for a roster spot with the Twins.

Two, Dozier isn't a SS.

Three, the financial sense...as it appears his service time makes him a FA in 2019. He's not Andrelton Simmons or Evan Longoria or Mike Trout. These guys are arguably the top players at their positions. He doesn't fit the "if he hits FA he'll cost a ton" category.

What would Dozier attract in the FA market this past Winter? Any guesses? 4-5 year deal? $8-$10M per? Maybe that's too high even. He had only one semi solid season.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    This makes no sense. I refuse to believe that Nunez will get much playing time at short, pushing the "shortstop of the future" to second base. If they do this, they are capable of any stupid decision.
    Santana played five games at second last year, and 32 games at the keystone in 2012. Perhaps I'm the "st****" one for not being more clear--Santana will get his cuts at short. But as the Twins consider replacing/platooning Eduardo Nunez with Florimon, they will want to see what Nunez can do at Rochester.

I also think it's inane (better than the S-word) to ink Santana in as the shortstop of the future without considering secondary options--no pun intended. There was a time when Dozier was the shortstop of the future too. Look how that one turned out. Maybe it was st**** to move him to second...

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Santana played five games at second last year, and 32 games at the keystone in 2012. Perhaps I'm the "st****" one for not being more clear--Santana will get his cuts at short. But as the Twins consider replacing/platooning Eduardo Nunez with Florimon, they will want to see what Nunez can do at Rochester.

I also think it's inane (better than the S-word) to ink Santana in as the shortstop of the future without considering secondary options--no pun intended. There was a time when Dozier was the shortstop of the future too. Look how that one turned out. Maybe it was st**** to move him to second...
    I have such disdain for Nunez's defense, I still can't imagine replacing either Florimon or Escobar with him. It boggles my mind. When Dick hinted that it was only a matter of time before Nunez replaces Florimon, I just about screamed. I could see it if he hit like Drew or something. But his offense is not that much better. I still think Nunez is here for depth and little else. If he starts taking reps away from Santana, I'll have issues with their decision making.

As for Santana, all indications are he has crazy tools. Dozier is a nice player with good skills, but he didn't have the range to be the long-term solution at short. He's the prototypical second baseman. And then there's Beresford, who's also a good second base option. Nunez is behind all those guys in my book.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12