Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/10): Eades-y Does It

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you’re scoring at home, most future starting shortstops aren’t replaced for defensive purposes late in AAA games. (Which is why Nunez doesn’t fit into that category in the first place.)
    It looks like Nunez is exactly what the Twins wanted and expected. If Florimon isn't sent down or traded, I could easily see him coming in for defensive purposes after Nunez goes 2-3 with an error. (BTW, Santana is batting .222 with a .500 OPS and already has 3 errors and only an .842 FLD%, so he hasn't exactly set a high bar to surpass- as Gardy said, it's about the offense).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins/Red Wings said all along they were going to ease Nunez back in. He hadn't played at all in the 10 days that he was in DFA Limbo. So, they didn't play him the first game, and then said they were planning on playing him 6 innings today. Maybe more tomorrow.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins have a 21 year old Switching hitting SS at AA (Aderlin Mejia) who is sporting a .967 OPS
    Not bad first week

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the Miracle Line up 1-9
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 04-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DOWN GOES WALKER
    DOWN GOES WALKER

IT HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF THEM BIG GUY
    "Yes Run Forrest Run"
    96% Stolen Base success rate - (54 for 56) since 2010

Great catch Jeremy - Not many take notice
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 04-10-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Twins have a 21 year old Switching hitting SS at AA (Aderlin Mejia) who is sporting a .967 OPS
    Not bad first week
    For Mejia, it's all about the OBP, as he just has singles for hits. And he's completely unheralded on any prospect rankings list. Even the Twins had no illusions- he's batting 9th in the Rock Cats order, and putting him at Ft Myers last year was quite by accident. Although he does have 4 early errors, he's obviously yet agian, trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Seth, have you heard anything within the organization that suggests he's a legitimate prospect as a utility man, let alone a starting SS some day?
    Last edited by jokin; 04-11-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is so exciting watching the young pitchers at all levels. The new "M&M" boys, Meyer and May at AAA are off to great starts, OK 1 outing each, but I need some starting pitchers to get excited about.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how, but I was completely unaware that Walker was so excellent at stealing bases. I assumed with so much power, he wasn't.

I thought Seth was the corny one - "Do I make you"?!? "Life is hard"!?! Wow...

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    I don't know how, but I was completely unaware that Walker was so excellent at stealing bases. I assumed with so much power, he wasn't.
    Walker is that rare athlete that has 30-30-30%K potential.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    For Mejia, it's all about the OBP, as he just has singles for hits. And he's completely unheralded on any prospect rankings list. Even the Twins had no illusions- he's batting 9th in the Rock Cats order, and putting him at Ft Myers last year was quite by accident. Although he does have 4 early errors, he's obviously yet agian, trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Seth, have you heard anything within the organization that suggests he's a legitimate prospect as a utility man, let alone a starting SS some day?
    They wouldn't say he is a prospect or not, but I think it's telling that they have him starting most every day at SS in AA. Yesterday, we were all surprised that he did so well in FM, and I'm sure they weren't expecting it either. However, for them to keep him moving up as they have shows a lot about what they think. He's young. He's pretty fast. He is a singles-only hitter, and he'll have to prove himself at SS before anyone's going to anoint him as a possible SS of the future, but there are certainly signs that they are now willing to find out.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    He is a terrific athlete. He's a big guy, and he's got average speed. He gets his steals by being smart and, at least in part, surprising the defense. Kind of like Corey Koskie. Koskie stole 27 bases one year because they weren't expecting it. Never stole more than 11 in a season after that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    They wouldn't say he is a prospect or not, but I think it's telling that they have him starting most every day at SS in AA. Yesterday, we were all surprised that he did so well in FM, and I'm sure they weren't expecting it either. However, for them to keep him moving up as they have shows a lot about what they think. He's young. He's pretty fast. He is a singles-only hitter, and he'll have to prove himself at SS before anyone's going to anoint him as a possible SS of the future, but there are certainly signs that they are now willing to find out.
    Thanks, Seth. What would it take for him to appear on your midseason Top 50 prospect list?

Also, Stuart Turner is having a strong start at the plate. Isn't he one that can go through 2 levels this year and ultimately zoom up your prospect list pretty quickly, as well?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    I thought Seth was the corny one - "Do I make you"?!? "Life is hard"!?! Wow...
    Seth is the corny one. I was pretty proud of both the Austin Powers and the Johnny Cash references. Even though "Josue" isn't pronounced at all like Sue - as Seth would point out - I'll still stand behind both of those lines.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    So is Yormen Landa done starting, or is he going to get his opportunity later? I thought it was supposed to be a 6 man rotation, but we're now on the second go around and only five have started.

I'm glad Eades pitched well, but if he doesn't figure out how to miss more bats he's never going to make a difference on the big club. Small sample size, but he's having issues striking out Appy and Midwest League guys; these batters swing at everything. Obviously it's only going to get more difficult at the higher levels.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 04-11-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Miracle are easily the most interesting team (for me) to watch this year. Albeit, if they continue as they are...come middle June New Britain will be the most interesting team to watch.

Also, speaking of New Britain, any new word on when is Byron Buxton coming back?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Another thread indicates Byron is out until May.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Another thread indicates Byron is out until May.....
    As was assumed in late March when they announced the name of the injury. They said it was a "slow-healing" injury. Initially they said sprained wrist, but once the doctors had a chance to talk to him, they've been upfront that it would be awhile before he would be playing.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Thanks, Seth. What would it take for him to appear on your midseason Top 50 prospect list?

Also, Stuart Turner is having a strong start at the plate. Isn't he one that can go through 2 levels this year and ultimately zoom up your prospect list pretty quickly, as well?
    Mejia would certainly be in the Top 50 now, but let's see how AA treats him for the next 6 weeks.

Stuart Turner was my choice for sleeper pick for hitters. I think he'll hit more than some seem to. I do think he could move, though, I don't know that he will. I'm not as worried about his bat as many seem to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast