Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Fuld DFA'd/claimed by Twins

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mastro is out of options, so they have to DFA him to ultimately assign him to Rochester. He's unlikely to be claimed.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Just saw it on the broadcast. Good move.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Mastro is out of options, so they have to DFA him to ultimately assign him to Rochester. He's unlikely to be claimed.
    Nope. He does have an option left, so they could have DFA'd someone like Fryer or Raley and simply optioned him if they wanted.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I like it in a vacuum, but what does that say about their confidence in Nunez? Isn't the backup infielder was Nunez was?

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Since the Twins have claimed him, I've moved this thread to the Twins Talk forum.

Quote Originally Posted by avkies View Post
    I like it in a vacuum, but what does that say about their confidence in Nunez? Isn't the backup infielder was Nunez was?
    I think Fuld is an outfielder.

And a good one...

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Need outfield defense, so good move. Antony said he'll platoon with Hicks. So more than a fourth outfielder.

Mastro isn't the same guy he was in 2012. He'll clear and go back to Rochester.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Need outfield defense, so good move. Antony said he'll platoon with Hicks. So more than a fourth outfielder.
    In that light this move makes extra sense. Giving Hicks more time off while he's struggling at the plate seems better than last year's philosophy of either leaving him in the lineup to work it out or cutting him. A lefty hitter is a better complement to Hicks' stronger side and if Fuld plays CF credibly then he'll probably work for now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Sounds like watching Kubel and Colabello trying to play the OF yesterday was what made the Twins' pull the trigger. Allegedly, Nunez is coming up to the Twins as well, so I expect Mastroianni and a pitcher to ho to AAA. Things will get interesting when Arcia and Willingham return.
    I would think Arcia and Herman would go down in this scenario. Arcia has 6 strikeouts in 18 ABs and looks like he could use more time in AAA. also he has options.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As noted above, Mastro has been DFAed before, so he will have the option to be a free agent. I think his opportunity here is better than almost anywhere else, so he probably will accept the outright assignment. Getting Fuld to play center in a platoon is probably a good move, although Hicks should play more than just a right handed half of a platoon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I would think Arcia and Herman would go down in this scenario. Arcia has 6 strikeouts in 18 ABs and looks like he could use more time in AAA. also he has options.
    I think it is near a lock that Arcia will go on a rehab assignment and at the conclusion of the rehab, then the Twins might decide to option him. A lot can happen during the rehab time, so it is very possible that something will happen so that he comes back before they use that last option.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the timing of the claim forced the Twins to DFA Mastro. If Bartlett's retirement is done, then Mastro would have been optioned to AAA. At the end of the day (figuratively), it's all the same anyway. I'm not a huge Sam Fuld guy, but I have no complaints about today's move.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fuld > Mastroianni... pretty simple.

16. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-20-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Fuld > Mastroianni... pretty simple.
    I concur, but also would point out that Fuld being a left handed hitter is also a better fit as an alternate center fielder.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    This is a good upgrade for the major league team, and hopefully Mastro clears the DFA situation and can be depth at AAA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    I like the idea of a platoon for Hicks, but Fuld seems pretty damn weak at the plate, which is the only problem with Hicks...

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I like the idea of a platoon for Hicks, but Fuld seems pretty damn weak at the plate, which is the only problem with Hicks...
    He isn't quite polished as an outfielder either. There have been a few fly balls to center that he misplayed as well. Strong fielder? Yes? Only problem hitting? No.

will he be in the majors?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast