Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Video of Eduardo Nunez Plate Appearance from today

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Video of Eduardo Nunez Plate Appearance from today

By far not his best, but the only one I taped this weekend. It still shows his ability to make contact and adjust on the plate, which are 2 things much in need for the Twins.

Video here.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

After watching florimon this spring and thus far into the season he can't hit. Worse is he can't even move runners putting the ball in play or bunting. His defense is nice but you can't have a guy who hits below .200. My guess is that Nunez is organizational depth and a hope that they can find a bench utility role for him to replace Escobar when he takes over at SS.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    re: Florimon and hitting below .200. Today he increased his OPS to .249. Oh Pee Es. This guy does not belong in the majors any way you cut it. He has options, and New Britain sounds pretty good about now, because you really want Santana at AAA. Escobar should have been the starter already. I think that Nunez will likely take over soon for Florimon.
    -----

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    re: Florimon and hitting below .200. Today he increased his OPS to .249. Oh Pee Es. This guy does not belong in the majors any way you cut it. He has options, and New Britain sounds pretty good about now, because you really want Santana at AAA. Escobar should have been the starter already. I think that Nunez will likely take over soon for Florimon.
    It's only April 13th. I'd like to give Florimon until June 1st, but if Gardy wants to give Escobar or Nunez a shot, i'm game. Lets see what they got. Neither of them are as good defensively, but if they can hit, they might just cut it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    It's only April 13th. I'd like to give Florimon until June 1st, but if Gardy wants to give Escobar or Nunez a shot, i'm game. Lets see what they got. Neither of them are as good defensively, but if they can hit, they might just cut it.
    FWIW, LEN3 appeared on the Sport Show this evening and hinted that the move to replace Florimon with Nunez is imminent. At this point, it's kind-of like a mercy killing. Both Thrylos (above) and I have proposed sending Florimon back to AA to both improve his approach at the plate and begin the process of his transition to a UTIL player.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-13-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    FWIW, LEN3 appeared on the Sport Show this evening and hinted that the move to replace Florimon with Nunez is imminent. At this point, it's kind-of like a mercy killing. Both Thrylos (above) and I have proposed sending Florimon back to AA to both improve his approach at the plate and begin the process of his transition to a UTIL player.
    If Nunez replaces Florimon sooner rather than later, I would understand. .067 is a huge step back from .221, not to mention the strike out ratio isn't going the way I was hoping.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    If Nunez replaces Florimon sooner rather than later, I would understand. .067 is a huge step back from .221, not to mention the strike out ratio isn't going the way I was hoping.
    Honestly, I'm not worried about Florimon's batting average. That will come back up in time.

My issues with Florimon is that he's 27 years old, hasn't hit anywhere in close to a decade, and became a worse hitter as 2013 progressed.

I think 2013 was his ceiling - or close to it, anyway - and he was due for a sub-.600 OPS in 2014. Him completely falling apart might be a good thing for the organization as a whole, as they won't waste time trying to develop a player who isn't good enough to be on an MLB roster.

Plus, he has options. Send him down and let him take hacks at MiLB pitching and use him as a player of his ilk should be used, as an emergency stop-gap.

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I fear what will happen when Nunez replaces Florimon. I could see giving Esco a shot for a couple of months until Santana is ready. But Nunez is just bad at defense. Maybe they give Esco the job and make Nunez the utility guy. I can live with that.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I just had a genius idea...lets put the DH in for Floriman and have the pitcher bat 9th. Who agrees? KC is a better hitter, I'm pretty sure I heard that Nolasco is no slouch with the bat (relatively speaking). They can't be as bad as Florimoan (because I moan in disgust after every at bat). The guy should just try to bunt every time...literally bunt so anyone on base can just move up a base. He looks more lost than Helen Keller in a...well anywhere she has never been. He just looks bad.

11. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ben Noble (04-14-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Honestly, I'm not worried about Florimon's batting average. That will come back up in time.

My issues with Florimon is that he's 27 years old, hasn't hit anywhere in close to a decade, and became a worse hitter as 2013 progressed.

I think 2013 was his ceiling - or close to it, anyway - and he was due for a sub-.600 OPS in 2014. Him completely falling apart might be a good thing for the organization as a whole, as they won't waste time trying to develop a player who isn't good enough to be on an MLB roster.

Plus, he has options. Send him down and let him take hacks at MiLB pitching and use him as a player of his ilk should be used, as an emergency stop-gap.
    I projected regression from him, to about .550 OPS. I think that might actually be on the high side because he missed so much of spring training. Maybe he can regain that "magic" down in AAA and be serviceable, or a decent player at that level, as long as he doesn't take reps away from the heir apparent (Santana). Within the next couple of weeks would be the time to try to pass him through waivers and go to Plan B. No one would claim him at this stage. If they did, no big whoop.

My Plan B is to give Escobar the starting job until Santana is ready. Until then, swap out Florimon and Nunez and make Nunez the utility guy. I hope this arrangement lasts only until midseason, however, as Santana will be ready around that time. I want to give him significant reps this year so he'll have an easier time adjusting to the majors next year.

When Bartlett runs out of rehab runway, they'll probably just DFA him. If not, they option either Hermann or Nunez to make room for Bartlett. Santana'll push Esco back to the utility role and they'll option Hermann or Nunez to make room for that arrangement. It's good having a couple of bench players with options.

As long as Nunez does not start for a significant period of time, with three starting pitchers who get a lot of ground balls, I'll be OK. This move has the feeling of inevitablility about it. I just hope they manage the transitions better than they have in the past. We all remember the years they tried Brendan Harris as a starter at different positions. That was three different train wrecks.

Brendan+Harris+Minnesota+Twins+v+Oakland+Athletics+qURN0BHxXhXl.jpg

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I fear what will happen when Nunez replaces Florimon. I could see giving Esco a shot for a couple of months until Santana is ready. But Nunez is just bad at defense. Maybe they give Esco the job and make Nunez the utility guy. I can live with that.
    Just give Santana a shot now. He is going to hit 100 basis points better than Florimon and probably as good as Nunez, but be better defensively (than Nunez). Consistency out of our SS is not really that important this year. None of these other guys are the SS on the 2015 or 2016 team.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Just give Santana a shot now. He is going to hit 100 basis points better than Florimon and probably as good as Nunez, but be better defensively (than Nunez). Consistency out of our SS is not really that important this year. None of these other guys are the SS on the 2015 or 2016 team.
    Santana needs work with the stick. He has hard time with junk pitches. Was ok in AA that is a prospect league but in AAA he is struggling. Swinging at everything. At least a year or so away at this point. I guess I have ranked him lower as a prospect than most (20s) but he is a work in progress. Somewhat erratic as well on the field

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't want someone out there that is a bad defender, but I'm tired of watching Florimon bat already. What's worse, a shortstop who is a bad fielder or a shortstop who can't hit?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I don't want someone out there that is a bad defender, but I'm tired of watching Florimon bat already. What's worse, a shortstop who is a bad fielder or a shortstop who can't hit?
    Tough call. But I'd rather have a guy who can't hit than watch every grounder get through the left side of the infield. We are scoring runs. We're having a hard time preventing runs.

17. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    It's sad that we have to choose.

Florimon isn't going to hit .000, and Nunez isn't going to butcher every play. The reality is probably pretty close to even.

19. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-14-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    It's sad that we have to choose.

Florimon isn't going to hit .000, and Nunez isn't going to butcher every play. The reality is probably pretty close to even.
    Yeah I don't expect to Florimon to always be this bad hitting and I don't expect Nunez to look like a little leaguer out there. Can anyone determine which player would be better for the team through statistics/projections? Bad fielder/Good hitter or Good fielder/Bad hitter
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I just had a genius idea...lets put the DH in for Floriman and have the pitcher bat 9th. Who agrees?
    Not the Rule Book, in case your post wasn't 100% in jest.

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Do you want to know how bad at defense?

Florimon - Tied for 2nd in the MLB last year with 12 runs saved (1099.6 innings)
    Nunez - Last in MLB -28 runs saved (608.3 innings)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    I think that it depends on preferences:

Who would you rather have? Derek Jeter or Ray Ordonez? (both came up about the same time give or take in the 2 different NY teams.)
    -----