Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dustin Pedroia- Down and Possibly Out- Drew or....Dozier..... to take his place?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dustin Pedroia- Down and Possibly Out- Drew or....Dozier..... to take his place?

Boston Globe headline:
    Red Sox fear Dustin Pedroia’s wrist injury could be serious

Pedroia left the Sox in New York to get his wrist tested and MRId on Monday. If the worst should happen with Pedroia and he's out for much of the season, the Sox have options to replace him, but clearly Roberts and Herrera are substandard, at best, while Brock Holt is untested and has a suspect glove, as well. Will Middlebrooks, as was the case for much of 2013, is once again on the DL, as well.

While Stephen Drew seems like the obvious solution, what about Brian Dozier? Well, consider his spray chart applied to Fenway, where instead of the Target Field left field dimensions of 343/385/408, you'd have a much friendlier set of numbers: 308/334/390.

And then consider Dozier's spray chart:

http://pitchfx.texasleaguers.com/bat...=4%2F12%2F2014

30 Home Runs and an OPS+ of 120 seems within reasonably possible reach.

The Red Sox have a whole slug of well-documented and near-major league ready arms, along with a decent Catcher in Blake Swithart and a college SS, Deven Marrero. I doubt that the BoSox are paniced enough yet to part with a top 10 prospect for Dozier, but if they do panic, and then study that spray chart of Dozier's, his strong defense at 2nd, plus the fact that they could swing him over to 3rd if/when Pedroia returns to health, the Twins might have a chance to nab top flite talent to fill a hole going forward. Obviously, his departure would leave a huge hole right now in the Twins infield, but the Twins do have Nunez, Beresford and Santana knocking on the door for right now, and it looks more and more like Polanco or maybe Rosario will be knocking on the door to claiming the 2nd base job long-term by June 2015.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-14-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox best prospect right now is 2B Mookie Bettts. He's not major league ready now, but I don't see them wanting add anything more than a stopgap.

Plus, Dozier is part of the solution, not the problem.

3. These 4 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (04-14-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-14-2014), Trautmann13 (04-14-2014), Willihammer (04-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^This
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if this is a good opt-out for all parties. The Sox can take back Drew without losing a pick. They could negotiate a contract that doesn't allow him to be offered arbitration next season. This offseason, Drew walks without the albatross that is a comp pick around his neck.

This makes all the sense in the world.

6. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-14-2014), diehardtwinsfan (04-14-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-14-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't see Dozier getting traded to the Sox. The Twins will want far too much for the Sox to do it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yeah, I don't see Dozier getting traded to the Sox. The Twins will want far too much for the Sox to do it.
    This is not happening. Drew for some money makes way more sense. I would like to see a team friendly deal for Dozier

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No way Dozier gets traded, I am convinced that he is the future and that Rosario's is in the OF. You can see the pieces starting to come together. Pinto's bat seems like the real deal. We do need that SS, unless Santana can field better.

Meyer is looking ready and excited to see If May can follow up on his first outing with the same control. Tonkin for sure looks like the setup guy for Perk.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    No way Dozier gets traded, I am convinced that he is the future and that Rosario's is in the OF. You can see the pieces starting to come together. Pinto's bat seems like the real deal. We do need that SS, unless Santana can field better.
    I think it's more likely that Rosario or Dozier gets traded. Rosario's bat doesn't profile to a corner OF spot and if he comes back and continues to hit, his value should be sky-high (and Dozier's value continues to skyrocket).

11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (04-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I wonder if this is a good opt-out for all parties. The Sox can take back Drew without losing a pick. They could negotiate a contract that doesn't allow him to be offered arbitration next season. This offseason, Drew walks without the albatross that is a comp pick around his neck.

This makes all the sense in the world.
    Drew was not on the opening day roster so he would not be subject to compensation.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Drew was not on the opening day roster so he would not be subject to compensation.
    Excellent point. So it's even more logical for this to happen, no need to negotiate it into the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think it's more likely that Rosario or Dozier gets traded. Rosario's bat doesn't profile to a corner OF spot and if he comes back and continues to hit, his value should be sky-high (and Dozier's value continues to skyrocket).
    Agree. One of Dozier or Rosario gets traded. Rosario's value is higher at 2B and with any luck we have a few options for corner OFers. I hope Kepler, Walker, Harrison and others make it easy to trade to Hick's once Buxton gets here. Trading Rosario, Hicks or both might end up being how we get our SS of the future.

If Walker and Kepler pan out nicely that would be an athletic outfield that should really hit.

C Pinto
    1B Mauer
    2B Dozier or Rosario
    3B Sano
    SS Via trade of Hicks/Rosario or international
    OF Kepler
    CF Buxton
    OF Walker
    DH Arcia / Vargas / Harrison

That lineup should hit some HRs.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 04-14-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting to "guess"/Predict how a guy like Dozier would do in Fenway Park. There actually are quite a few similarities between him and Pedroia and the field's dimensions would possibly mean different/improved numbers for Dozier. Of course, the other side is how would Pedroia be perceived if his home field was Target Field?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I don't mind the idea of trading Dozier but the return has to be great. It looks like he's a legit starting second baseman and under team control for 4 years. That's tough to trade unless the other side is giving up something big.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see it happening. First, because the Red Sox likely won't part with the prospects the Twins want (need) for a stop gap solution like Dozier. Additionally, the Twins have been sorely missing a competent 2B for years. Dozier plays great defense and his bat looks to be an asset as well. It doesn't make much sense for the team to be dumping a young asset like Dozier, who is under team control for the next 5 years, without having a sure solution in the wings (I'm not convinced Rosario is there yet).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't mind the idea of trading Dozier but the return has to be great. It looks like he's a legit starting second baseman and under team control for 4 years. That's tough to trade unless the other side is giving up something big.
    Dozier is pushing his way to be a top 10 2B. I don't see Boston giving up what it would take to pry him away, just to be a 2-3 months stop gap.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I'll vote for Drew.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    They won't be good this year, they won't be good next year probably, and even 2017 could be a stretch......so why not trade Dozier? Rosario and Polanco and maybe even Santana are your future 2B......so I'd deal him, since they punted on this year, and I don't see Ryan ever spending on FA to INCREASE payroll signficantly and trying to get better signficantly until Sano, Buxton and others are up and consistently very good....which will be 17 or 18.....
    Lighten up Francis....

21. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-14-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They won't be good this year, they won't be good next year probably, and even 2017 could be a stretch......so why not trade Dozier? Rosario and Polanco and maybe even Santana are your future 2B......so I'd deal him, since they punted on this year, and I don't see Ryan ever spending on FA to INCREASE payroll signficantly and trying to get better signficantly until Sano, Buxton and others are up and consistently very good....which will be 17 or 18.....
    The value difference in trading Dozier right now and trading him in July of 2015 is minimal.

In the meantime, you get a good player on a team that badly needs good players.

Of course, you also run the risk of him getting hurt but one can't run a baseball team scared that his players will get injured.

I believe every team should start the season with the goal of winning baseball games. If good things happen, run with it and adjust on the fly. If bad things happen, consider moving players with value if the deal is right... But only if the deal is right.

And I don't see any reason why the Red Sox would offer fair value for Dozier right now.

It's really easy to end up being the Kansas City Royals for 2+ decades if you continually trade off good players. At some point, you need to keep a few "bridge" players and hope that their experience will put you over the top when the big wave of prospects starts to hit.

23. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-15-2014), Since71 (04-14-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Hey, I'm with you, Brock.....but Ryan hasn't shown that in his past. Heck, when contending he's traded off players. My point was, if you are going all in on a rebuild, go all in. Don't go halfway, like the last three years. As you know, I would have tried A LOT harder to make this team better on the offseason, since they have 20-40MM sitting in their budget doing nothing, but that is NOT the choice they made. So, if you aren't actually going to try, then really go all in on your actual strategy.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    It's difficult for me to even imagine the Twins trading Dozier. Nor do I think they should.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

26. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-14-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast