Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Polanco vs. Rosario

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Polanco vs. Rosario

I was going to post some of this in the Dozier/Pedroia thread, but figured it made more sense for its own.

How far behind Rosario on the 2B depth chart is Polanco at this point? Technically he's only one level behind, as Rosario hasn't gotten out of AA yet. Polanco's playing good baseball right now (albeit as a SS) compared to Rosario... not playing baseball. Rosario had a good chance to make it to AAA this year (with an outside shot at the majors) if not for the suspension, but it also didn't seem to be guaranteed. Polanco seems like a pretty good candidate to make AA this year if he keeps hitting and his defense isn't atrocious.

I'm really not privy to any knowledge that doesn't get reported here, but it seems like both tend to the good-hitter/adequate fielder mold of the position. Polanco seems to be better regarded defensively for the position, not surprisingly as someone who has an outside shot at playing SS as opposed to an OF being converted to the position.

Their minor league hitting numbers aren't drastically different to this point, although Rosario would appear to have more power. I generally don't pay attention to anything before Elizabethton as very indicative, but neither was a standout in the GCL with Rosario only taking one year to Polanco's two and posting better numbers.

Elizabethton:
    Rosario: .337/.397/.670/1.068
    Polanco: .318/.388/.514/.903

A:
    Rosario: .296/.345/.490/.835
    Polanco: .308/.362/.452/.813

A+:
    Rosario: .329/.377/.527/.903
    Polanco (SSS): .400/.512/.543/1.054

AA:
    Rosario: .284/.330/.412/.742

Really, as I started considering the possibility of Dozier being traded, I was curious what they might do with the position, and I realized I wasn't really sure if Rosario was the obvious "next guy up" prospect-wise in this scenario anymore. Until the suspension there was pretty much a two level separation between the two, but at this point it's probably more like one, and it'll be interesting to see what they do with Eddie when he gets back, as by then it would seem there'd be a small chance that they're starting to gauge Polanco's readiness for AA where it would seem likely for Rosario to head initially as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    It may be moot. It may be Polanco vs. Santana as Jorge hasn't played one game at 2B yet this year.

I'm not a fan of Niko Goodrum at 3B as he does not have the bat for the position, but I'm happy to see Polanco get extended time at SS. Goodrum at 3B, Polanco at SS, Michael at 2B, Harrison in LF and Kepler back to CF. I don't think many of us would have predicted those positional assignments before the season started.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco continuing anywhere near this production and he will be in AA soon. Rosario is going to be fine if he is fine with his issues. Given that it now isn't clear about LF in the future, there might be more room for both, especially if Polanco can stick at short.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I watched Polanco at CR last year at both SS and 2nd, I felt that he was much better at 2b then SS. But this is a young guy I was watching and improvements can be made. I saw scrawny James Beresford at Beloit and thought he was a much better SS in the field then Santana, but couldn't get the ball much past the infield grass. Now I see Beresford with extra base hits in AAA. This is why they call it development, just hopefully not regression. I like Polanco a lot and was impressed by his play in CR. Either way middle infleid is not looking so bleak once we get through the Florimon experiment.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco is a year younger than Rosario was in FSL, for those who put stock in those things when N = 1 (or is it 2).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    I watched Polanco at CR last year at both SS and 2nd, I felt that he was much better at 2b then SS. But this is a young guy I was watching and improvements can be made. I saw scrawny James Beresford at Beloit and thought he was a much better SS in the field then Santana, but couldn't get the ball much past the infield grass. Now I see Beresford with extra base hits in AAA. This is why they call it development, just hopefully not regression. I like Polanco a lot and was impressed by his play in CR. Either way middle infleid is not looking so bleak once we get through the Florimon experiment.
    I think the key for both Beresford and Polanco is going to be arm strength for short. Any insights there?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I think the key for both Beresford and Polanco is going to be arm strength for short. Any insights there?
    That seems to be the question with both. Beresford hasn't played much SS for awhile, though he certainly could. Twins have had him at 3B in some spring games the last couple of years as well.

My personal opinion is that Polanco is going to be much better at 2B. Howver, I"m actually OK with giving him an extended look at SS to start this year. Obviously it's a position of need, so if he can make some strides, worth trying.

I think Goodrum is very good at SS and has plenty of arm.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Is there any insight into the amount of errors for Polanco at Short this year? It would seem to me that going to your right with an arm that was borderline would cause a player to think he has to rush and this would cause errors. Is that his issue?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Polanco continuing anywhere near this production and he will be in AA soon.
    Don't look now, but Levi Michael is raking at Ft. Myers. Finally! Due to his age and experience, I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets the call to New Britain before Polanco does. Anyone know if he's still considered a potential SS or has he proven that 2B is all he can handle?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    How far behind Rosario on the 2B depth chart is Polanco at this point? .
    Last winter I felt that I was the only person around who still thought of Polanco as a Shortstop. I feel validated because it looks like the Twins are still thinking of him as a shortstop too...

Polanco is on top of my Twins' SS prospect chart while Rosario on top of my Twins' 2B prospect chart. I had Rosario as the Twins' fourth best prospect and Polanco as the sixth best prospect last November. And unless he is start playing second base exclusively, I will still consider Polanco a shortstop.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Polanco can play serviceable D at SS and continue to show excellent plate discipline hit he could become a top 30 MLB prospect at years end.

That 2009 Class of international signings looks to be pretty great. It could be the best thing Bill Smith did for the Twins organization.