Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Early Surprises in the 2014 Season

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Early Surprises in the 2014 Season

Do you think the Gyorko signing has raised the bar for a Dozier signing? They have the same amount of service time.........I was hoping for a Dozier extension , if he has a good yr this yr , of 4 yrs/$17.4 mil, with 2 FA option yrs at $9 and $11 mil........now that Gyorko just signed a 5 yr $35 mill extension plus one option yr($13 mil), longer we wait the more expensive Dozier will get.........last yrs stats between Gyorko and Dozier are similar with Gyorko being approx. 2 yrs younger than Dozier

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've always thought Kubel's defense was underrated so that's not a big surprise for me. Especially that he's better than Willingham and Arcia. I'm really surprised by his bat so far. I expected him to hit just not this well. He looks pretty confident right now which is good to see.
    I've been surprised with the offense as a whole this year as well. Been awhile since I've felt confident in them to score runs. I really hope they can keep it going and get the pitching turns around.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always found the notion that Kubel plays poor defense strange. I certainly don't watch every game and I'm no scout, but the difference between he and a Josh Willingham (stiff, slow) or a Delmon Young (sloppy) was always drastic to me. He looks like an outfielder. He might not be particularly fast, but otherwise he looks the part to me.

The Joe Mauer strikeout thing is definitely troubling. He seems to have rough stretches every year where he goes a couple weeks of really poor hitting before finding himself again, so hopefully he's working his way towards one of his hotter streaks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    Do you think the Gyorko signing has raised the bar for a Dozier signing? They have the same amount of service time.........I was hoping for a Dozier extension , if he has a good yr this yr , of 4 yrs/$17.4 mil, with 2 FA option yrs at $9 and $11 mil........now that Gyorko just signed a 5 yr $35 mill extension plus one option yr($13 mil), longer we wait the more expensive Dozier will get.........last yrs stats between Gyorko and Dozier are similar with Gyorko being approx. 2 yrs younger than Dozier
    Dozier is already signed, no need to resign him.

6. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (04-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier needs to hit higher than .244 before he gets an extension.

It's nice to see Kubel get off to a hot start like he has. He can't possibly keep it up but could have a very nice season which will lead to more wins, as his fast start has.

Mauers' K's worry me alot. Plouffe has really surprised me so far. No way did I see it coming, and hope it continues. If it does, I was dead wrong about him on some things. I still think he's the luckiest man in the world though.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm not shocked by Kubel's d.....but I am by his O. It will be interesting when Willingham and Arcia come back......Willingham should be the DH. He should have been at the start of the year.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's up with the Twins taking so many walks so far this year? Has that been a concerted effort by the team?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post

Agree. He will never get *too expensive* for the Twins...

Mauer has had 57 PA and even with the strikeouts his OBP is still .388. If you want to play small samples and chasing endpoints, how about five multi-hit games in his last eight? How about the fact that he struck out in all but one (including two strikeouts in four of eight?) Does any of this mean anything? No, it's mid-April. This is not a thing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    If Dozier's last year is repeatable, he needs to be with the club ling term. Reward his performance with some financial security and keep him around until his mid-thirties. At 2nd or SS.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What's up with the Twins taking so many walks so far this year? Has that been a concerted effort by the team?
    Pitchers fear the line-up and are pitching around them?

I am going to wait a little longer before being paranoid about Mauer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    If Dozier's last year is repeatable, he needs to be with the club ling term. Reward his performance with some financial security and keep him around until his mid-thirties. At 2nd or SS.
    And you want to do this now? That question remains to be answered.

I'm most surprised by Plouffe's plate discipline and his hitting to right. Reminds me of how Brian Harper turned around his career and became a lifetime .300 hitter for the Twins. If he can sustain this approach, he is definitely part of the rebuild. I'd lost all hope for him last year. He looks like a different player up to the plate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    The wway I understand it is Dozier is not eligible for Free Agency until 2019, but unless I miss something, he does not have a specific contract beyond this season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I were the owner I would merely throw Dozier some more hundreds of thousands before arb kicks in. I know it doesn't work like that, but whatever. Signing him in 2016 or 2017 through 2020 or 2021 makes sense. Not now.

Re Mauer: Take away the 1 game in March, and Mauer is hitting .311, OBP .411, 19TB, 8R - I believe in the past, his Ks have gone up when he's been looking for more power... yeah, this is not a "thing" yet.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    I'm most surprised by Plouffe's plate discipline and his hitting to right. Reminds me of how Brian Harper turned around his career and became a lifetime .300 hitter for the Twins. If he can sustain this approach, he is definitely part of the rebuild. I'd lost all hope for him last year. He looks like a different player up to the plate now.
    I would like to see Plouffe's fielding improve some... But if his hitting is sustained for the better part of the season with no prolonged droughts, I would agree with you, he is part of the rebuild.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    The most pleasant surprise to date for me has been Plouffe. He's been productive, more than adequate at 3b, and none of it has looked flukey.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast