Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Has the clock run out on Jared Burton?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    A fine example of someone tradable mid-season last year that the Twins didn't move.
    If I recall he struggled for a stretch mid season. I think a terrible month of June losing his 8th inning role. Setup relievers have little trade value. Too many teams have one too offer. Struggling set up men are worth very little. I wouldn't think he was too tradable with the extra year of commitment an additional anchor.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A fine example of someone tradable mid-season last year that the Twins didn't move.
    Exactly, and it's pretty frustrating. Now . . . good lord what to get for him. If I were in charge I would trade him and pay most of this year's salary for any mid-tier prospect. Fien and Duensing next.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. And add Fien and Thielbar to that equation. The Twins never sell high. They wait for players to bomb and then they release them...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    I am mostly disappointed with his performance because, in my master plan, he (along with Corriea and Willingham) would be moved at the trade deadline for whatever they can get for him. I don't think reliable bullpen pitchers are as easy to find as some, but the Twins appear to have some depth in their bullpen so they really should be moving on from Burton. I guess the question really is what is the best method to do it.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I must have missed the widespread demands to trade Burton over the past year. I can't recall a single one in fact.

Burton tanking is no big deal as long as the Twins don't let it become one. Demote him, cut him, whatever. They have backups.

Just don't continue to play him if he stinks.

6. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If I recall he struggled for a stretch mid season. I think a terrible month of June losing his 8th inning role.
    Yup. Actually, June 6-18, 2013, Burton pitched 5 games and allowed 8 runs, same as 2014 so far. Actually, June 6 thru July 1 last year, he had 10 games, 12 runs. Followed it up with a stretch of 19 games, 6 hits, zero runs. (We won't discuss how he pitched after that -- suffice to say, he closed out the season in classic 2011-2013 Twins fashion. )

As to the extension, Burton's $3.25 mil isn't hurting the team in the least bit. Heck, his roster spot isn't even under that much pressure -- Tonkin is it, really, and they've already got him on the roster thanks to another guy on the DL.

If his poor pitching continues over the next few weeks, we can think about cutting him loose. Otherwise, try to get him back to general 2012-2013 levels, and if he gets on a roll again, maybe someone will want a flyer on him for August/September (or 2015 with his $3.6 mil team option). Not that he will bring back much in trade, or provide us with a whole lot performance-wise in the intervening months, but it wouldn't take much to justify his modest salary.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Indeed. And add Fien and Thielbar to that equation. The Twins never sell high. They wait for players to bomb and then they release them...
    You're talking about three modestly successful middle relievers who were freely available to any MLB team less than 2 years earlier. You're never going to "sell high" on those -- at best, you might be able to "sell slightly higher" but the return is usually going to be pretty minimal regardless. Very few Hector Carrasco's produce even a Lew Ford -- if you force a trade, you are more likely to get Alex Presley, or Pedro Hernandez.

With that level of return, if the player is inexpensive (and particularly if they have options like Fien and Thielbar), you're probably better off keeping them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Well I must have missed the widespread demands to trade Burton over the past year. I can't recall a single one in fact.

Burton tanking is no big deal as long as the Twins don't let it become one. Demote him, cut him, whatever. They have backups.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I read some of these comments. If anything, I remember many, many loud voices saying Burton was "untouchable" or one of the guys we absolutely shouldn't trade...which seemed extremely silly to me. (Although I can't remember if the voices were as loud last season as they were two seasons ago.)

This is why you don't sign relievers long term, and you don't hesitate to trade them if their value appears really high. They don't pitch enough innings to command the $$$ and they're too prone to hot and cold streaks given the nature of their roles

When was the last time a 30 something setup man was traded for anything that mattered?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Just like you won't find a single post opposing signing Mauer to a long term contract back in 09 but now they all claim they knew it was a bad deal.
    I remember saying it was a bad baseball decision but I wasn't opposed to it because of the PR. I also said there was no need to do it at the time because his value would never be higher than after an MVP season anyway. I still won't criticize the contract though. They kind of had to given the situation at the time and he is still a very good baseball player. People forget the really great streaks of hitting he had before 2011 and I still believe he has some of those streaks left in him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    When was the last time a 30 something setup man was traded for anything that mattered?
    Matt Capps is 30 now, and he was once traded for something that mattered, and he really wasn't much better than a setup man. Does that count?

(yeah yeah, revisionist history.)

13. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Whoops. Got off topic. Crain and Guerrier went through similar periods of ineffectiveness. No reason to give up on these guys but no reason to keep him in the same 8th inning position either. Is he eligible for demotion? If a player agrees to it does it matter if the team ran out of options? I think Crain was sent down twice, rebounded and came back better than ever.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Just like you won't find a single post opposing signing Mauer to a long term contract back in 09 but now they all claim they knew it was a bad deal.
    I remember saying it was a bad baseball decision but I wasn't opposed to it because of the PR. I also said there was no need to do it at the time because his value would never be higher than after an MVP season anyway. I still won't criticize the contract though. They kind of had to given the situation at the time and he is still a very good baseball player. People forget the really great streaks of hitting he had before 2011 and I still believe he has some of those streaks left in him.
    That's simply not true about Mauer- there was a legion of fans and writers (but not Patrick Reusse) who pointed out:
    -how the mega-signing might cripple the team from making further moves,
    -and that it was highly unlikely that he could stay at the position for the bulk of the contract, making it difficult to realize value on the life of the deal.

And there were many of us that called for Burton to be moved at his peak and/or definitely not signed for more than a year at a time. For aging relief pitchers, in this case, already back from oblivion at least once in his career, a very questionable move. RPs have to be the easiest and cheapest commodity to accumulate- your own failed starting pitchers, guys you draft specifically to relieve, waiver wire claims and the huge, huge annual offseason recycling bin.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-17-2014 at 09:53 AM.

After Crain and Gueereruier went through these flat spots they eventually faced long lasting injuries. And in his past Burton has had serious bouts with the injury bug, losing most of 2010-11. For him to blithely say "I'm fine, it's not physical" after stinking the joint up last summer, rallying for a few weeks and then falling flat ever since sort of raises a flag.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Just cut him. I don't get the obsession with not using the farm team RP.....their strategy is supposedly to build from within, yet Tonkin started the year in AAA, so they could keep all these "proven vets" around. I don't get their actual strategy, since they don't seem to follow it......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think this a flukey batted ball or SSS thing. Burton's fastball velocity has tumbled almost 2 mph over the past two years. Not good.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Just cut him. I don't get the obsession with not using the farm team RP.....their strategy is supposedly to build from within, yet Tonkin started the year in AAA, so they could keep all these "proven vets" around. I don't get their actual strategy, since they don't seem to follow it......
    Precisely. Achter, Guerra, and Oliveros are three good contenders for promotion right now.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

I think there was plenty of skepticism surrounding Burton last year, maybe the trade demands weren't widespread because as other posters have noted he had little trade value anyway. I was calling for anyone w/ any trade value whatsoever to be dealt last year just to hold my interest in following the team...just like I will be this year. Ok, it's early and they're playing good within the division at least, but when the wheels do fall off...bring on the transactions!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    Capps?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    The most frustrating thing to me is that the Twins have long been very good at filling out their bullpen in cheap, replaceable ways.....so why do they insist on holding on to guys past their peak value? Burton is another case of that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast