Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Finding Room For Arcia

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Finding Room For Arcia

Arcia last year: 6.1 BB%, 31.0 K%. To start this season: 5.3 BB%, 31.6 K%.

"Swinging out of his shoes" seems to be what he does. Although his slash lines throughout his minor league career have been impressive, by his performance in the majors it still looks like it would do him a lot of good to spend more time at AAA and really work on his plate discipline. And as long as Pinto, Kubel and Colabello are taking care of business in the Twins lineup, now's the perfect time for Arcia to do some woodshedding in Rochester.

If some of the Twins' patient approach to at-bats would rub off on Arcia, that'd be awesome.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frightwig View Post
    Arcia last year: 6.1 BB%, 31.0 K%. To start this season: 5.3 BB%, 31.6 K%.

"Swinging out of his shoes" seems to be what he does. Although his slash lines throughout his minor league career have been impressive, by his performance in the majors it still looks like it would do him a lot of good to spend more time at AAA and really work on his plate discipline. And as long as Pinto, Kubel and Colabello are taking care of business in the Twins lineup, now's the perfect time for Arcia to do some woodshedding in Rochester.
    "Woodshedding" is about right! Amen.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (Arcia) headed to Rochester, where he began his rehab assignment by going 3-for-3 as the DH on Saturday. He played six more innings Sunday.
    Is there anything to be read into Arcia getting pulled in both of his games after 3 PAs this weekend and not playing in the OF on Saturday ? Is he really 100% yet or not?

The Twins could use another LH bat, but Arcia wasn't delivering when he was active. I argued that he should have been sent down right when they broke camp. He still has a lot to work on, at the plate and in the OF. As long as there are other options producing, there's no need to rush. If anything, if they do need that additional LH bat, Parmelee might better fill the bill than Arcia at this point.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Josmil Pinto has been one of the team's best hitters and he should probably stick mostly at DH for now, since his defense has been erratic and Kurt Suzuki has been very good all-around behind the plate."

I would tend to respectfully disagree for a couple of reasons:

1) Pinto's future is behind the plate. His defense can't be as atrocious as some of Colabello's miscues. Using Pinto as the DH effectively puts either Arcia, Kubel, or Colabello on the bench.

2) Suzuki has certainly not shown himself as an exemplary handler of Twins' starting pitching. He caught Kevin Coreia's abysmal start last Friday, when the starters' cumulative ERA ballooned to 6.32. Remember last year when Twins starters paced the AL by giving up 5.26 runs/game? Where's Ryan Doumit when you need him???

Seriously, Suzuki has started 16 games at the catcher position. Pinto has started seven games as the Twins backstop. I would like to see those numbers flip-flopped in May, thus providing more opportunities to put Pinto's bat (12.2 HR's/AB for 4th in the AL & 5th in the AL in BB) in the lineup--along with Kubel, Cola, and Arcia--with Kubel sitting against virtually every lefthander.
    Last edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy; 04-27-2014 at 11:31 PM.

7. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-28-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    I think you can afford to let Arcia get going everyday at Rochester, until he forces your hand. The BoSox are getting desperate for OF offense. Maybe if Kubel is still hitting in a couple of weeks, he could pry someone from their deep farm system. For some season, I've always been a fan of Deven Marrero.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Don't forget Willingham as your are working this puzzle. I think you have to send Arcia to AAA.
    He can work on his defense and his approach at the plate. These things have a way of working themselves out. Someone will slump or get injured.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Good problem to have. How about arcia in center? Might be the worst defensive of ever...like in history...but they sure would hit some dingers like kent murphy #checkoutthisvideo http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctFf91EUUTw

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Colabello's regression is already happening. I think the original plan of Kubel/Collabello platooning at DH is eventually the way to go. Hammer/Pinto/Suzuki/Collabello should play against lefties, Kubel/Arcia/Pinto and one of Collabello/Willlingham against righties.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Colabello's regression is already happening. I think the original plan of Kubel/Collabello platooning at DH is eventually the way to go. Hammer/Pinto/Suzuki/Collabello should play against lefties, Kubel/Arcia/Pinto and one of Collabello/Willlingham against righties.
    I always love it when people forget who is managing.

13. This user likes twinstalker's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey, the Twins hitters are learning a new patient approach....maybe Gardy can learn a new trick too?

Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Hey, the Twins hitters are learning a new patient approach....maybe Gardy can learn a new trick too?
    Anything is possible.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Colabello's regression is already happening.
    I'm sad about this news.

Waking up at 6AM and finding this out is gonna be a bad start to my day.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see Pinto take over primary catching, Colabello take over DH, and Arcia and Kubel in the outfield corners, until Hammer is ready to come back. Then send Arcia to AAA to work on the tutelage from Bruno until Hammer can be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    "Josmil Pinto has been one of the team's best hitters and he should probably stick mostly at DH for now, since his defense has been erratic and Kurt Suzuki has been very good all-around behind the plate."

I would tend to respectfully disagree for a couple of reasons:

1) Pinto's future is behind the plate. His defense can't be as atrocious as some of Colabello's miscues. Using Pinto as the DH effectively puts either Arcia, Kubel, or Colabello on the bench.

2) Suzuki has certainly not shown himself as an exemplary handler of Twins' starting pitching. He caught Kevin Coreia's abysmal start last Friday, when the starters' cumulative ERA ballooned to 6.32. Remember last year when Twins starters paced the AL by giving up 5.26 runs/game? Where's Ryan Doumit when you need him???

Seriously, Suzuki has started 16 games at the catcher position. Pinto has started seven games as the Twins backstop. I would like to see those numbers flip-flopped in May, thus providing more opportunities to put Pinto's bat (12.2 HR's/AB for 4th in the AL & 5th in the AL in BB) in the lineup--along with Kubel, Cola, and Arcia--with Kubel sitting against virtually every lefthander.
    I agree that we need to see Pinto more behind the plate and this would open up AB's at DH. To activate Arcia, I would like them to send Hicks down. If anyone needs more time in AAA, it would be Hicks.

Blog Entries
    Arcia and Pinto need to play every day for development, Hammer needs to play every day to build trade bait, Colabello and Kubel have been the best hitters on the team, but their value comes only to this team in the here and now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    I agree that we need to see Pinto more behind the plate and this would open up AB's at DH. To activate Arcia, I would like them to send Hicks down. If anyone needs more time in AAA, it would be Hicks.
    Sure Hicks needs more development time in AAA, but then who's your back up center fielder? Fuld is fine as the 4th outfielder, and can take over starting CF duties for a DL stint, but he isn't going to hold up over a month or two. His hitting is a statistical anomaly.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I'd like to see Pinto take over primary catching, Colabello take over DH, and Arcia and Kubel in the outfield corners, until Hammer is ready to come back. Then send Arcia to AAA to work on the tutelage from Bruno until Hammer can be traded.
    Wouldn't it be better to work WITH Bruno than sending him to AAA to work away from him??

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Pinto behind the plate more, Suzuki on the bench more. Arcia is part of the future and present, they should really bench him for Kurt Suzuki? Really?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast