04-17-2014, 10:04 AM #1
- Liked 2,280 Times in 1,281 Posts
- Blog Entries
Doubleheader Game Thread: Blue Jays@Twins 12:10PM/6:10PM
Game-time forecast: Mostly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 35.
Melky Cabrera LF
Munenori Kawasaki 2B
Jose Bautista CF
Edwin Encarnacion 1B
Colby Rasmus DH
Brett Lawrie 3B
Moises Sierra RF
Josh Thole C
Ryan Goins SS
Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer 1B
Trevor Plouffe 3B
Chris Colabello RF
Jason Kubel LF
Josmil Pinto DH
Kurt Suzuki C
Aaron Hicks CF
Pedro Florimon SS
The 2nd game's lineups will be posted in-thread as we continue into the next game. Yes, one big long thread for two games! Woohoo!
And tonight's lineups and tonight's game thread begin here:
Things to Think About:
1. Doubleheaders -- I like doubleheaders but not as much as I used to. When I was younger they used to actually schedule doubleheaders. Today... doubleheaders always mean that another game has been postponed due to weather or dynamite on the field leaving a hole on the playing surface. So while doubleheaders are fun. It does mean that I had no baseball at all a different day. Doubleheaders in that context are just a pile up.
2. Knuckleballs -- It's the only pitch that seemingly decides on it's own which direction it's going to go. The best knuckleballers throw a good percentage of strikes with them but it's not like they can paint corners with them. Painted corners are usually accidental. I've often wondered why we don't see more knuckleball pitchers. The pitch can be awfully effective in the hands of an expert. Of course... when it's not dancing... It can be crushed. RA Dickey was so effective that the Jays gave up a top notch catching and pitching prospect to the Mets to get him and his knuckleball. The Mets enjoyed a lot more success than the Blue Jays have and the Mets also had a lot more success than the Twins did. The knuckleball can come and go and I think that's because the ball is deciding on it's own.
3. Kyle Gibson -- The Stopper!!! Start number 3 after the first two starts produced wins. I think Kyle needs to lower that WHIP a little but the ERA is sparkling and that gives us hope for this year and hope for next year and beyond. At least I hope it does!!!
4. Eduardo Nunez -- Teams are allowed to add a 26th man for doubleheaders. I believe that's the rule because Eduardo Nunez (can we just call him Eddie) will be in uniform for the night game. I'd be shocked if Gardy didn't put him in the lineup. I think the only question is at what position? Nunez can play IF and OF and has been playing some OF with Rochester. The Nunez ERA has begun... It might be a stutter start but it has begun.
5. Postponements -- Yesterday was postponed... I'm sorry the field is not playable... The game will have to be postponed.
A 300 pound biker says to me... Let's step outside and let's see how tough you are. Mr. Biker... I'm sorry... I will have to postpone this beating... The Parking Lot is unplayable.
My 6 year old son asks me -- What are those Viagra things on TV... Mr. 6 Year old Son... I will have to postpone answering that question because the answer to that question at your age is unplayable.
The doctor says... Alright... Turn over and look at the wall... I have to examine that prostate gland. Mr. Doctor... I will have to postpone that... that entire area is unplayable right now.
Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 04-17-2014 at 03:59 PM.A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".
This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:
04-17-2014, 10:19 AM #2
Are they really gonna play two today? Hope Target Field looks better than my backyard, or else the game will look a lot like this:
Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.
04-17-2014, 10:37 AM #3
04-17-2014, 10:44 AM #4
04-17-2014, 10:46 AM #5
04-17-2014, 11:09 AM #6
- Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
Yeah, plenty of white still on the ground here. But the Twins have said game 1 will start on time.
04-17-2014, 11:16 AM #7
6. something to think about;
The Twins have sucked for 3 years. Fans have been forced to watch bad baseball more often than not when they buy tickets. Would it have been so hard for the Pohlads to say we'll do a real double header you can watch both games with your tickets and you can use the Wed. ticket for a credit on a future ticket.
Isn't this taking cheap to a new level? I can understand it in a pennant race when you might get 30-35k in the seats but really does everything have to be about how much money they can suck out of the fans??
Kind of sorry about the rant!This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.
This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:
mike wants wins (04-17-2014)
04-17-2014, 11:20 AM #8
- Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
I am tempted to agree with you in principle, but in this case a few hours between games to thaw out might not be a bad idea.
04-17-2014, 11:36 AM #9
- Liked 77 Times in 47 Posts
This user likes Intramural Legend's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM #10
I remember the good old days when a rain check could be used for any damn game you wanted to go to.
04-17-2014, 11:48 AM #11
- Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
- Blog Entries
The obvious thing to do is to give Nunez the start at short in the second game.
04-17-2014, 12:04 PM #12
Let's go boys! 2-0 today!I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.
04-17-2014, 12:06 PM #13
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM #14
Coldest start ever for the Twins at home. Balaclavas all around!
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM #15
So Nuñez is only available for the second game?
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM #16
The "Gibson squeeze" continues.
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM #17
Ah! I get to talk to myself today.
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM #18
- Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
04-17-2014, 12:20 PM #19
- Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
(oh, and Ash? that's still a spoon caddy in the shape of a shoe.)
04-17-2014, 12:20 PM #20
Same lineup for what five games in a row? Will Hicks hit righty against the knuckleballer?