Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: The Struggles of Scott Diamond

Article: The Struggles of Scott Diamond

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "It was not command but overall command of the strike zone." Wait what? That's been his problem for over a year. The guy we saw in 2012, who could paint with any pitch in any count, is nowhere to be found. To think he can just recapture that at this point seems naive in the extreme. In spring training, he had the command of a single A guy right out of high school. He was consistently missing the glove by a foot or more. I hope he finds it, but you don't make personnel decisions on hope.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    At least he "battled." Now, if he were to battle his tail off, maybe he'd get somewhere....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    For what its worth, it appear the Twins correctly assessed the problem of which pitcher to keep for the 5th spot in the rotation and who to let go. Hendriks, Diamond and Worley appear to be done and they have Gibson and Deduno in the big leagues.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    For what its worth, it appear the Twins correctly assessed the problem of which pitcher to keep for the 5th spot in the rotation and who to let go. Hendriks, Diamond and Worley appear to be done and they have Gibson and Deduno in the big leagues.
    But frankly, it would have been borderline criminal for them to decide almost anything else, given the way things played out in 2013 and spring training 2014. Not sure how much credit to give them for that "correct assessment".

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to wonder if he's pitching through an injury. Not that I think Diamond is anything great, but there's nothing in his record that suggests he should be this horrible in AAA.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 818 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pitchers like Diamond walk a very fine line between success and failure. They don't miss a lot of bats and depend highly on control which can easily vary one year to the next. I don't think Diamond is as bad as he is now, but I doubt he's as good as he was in 2012. I was hopefully he could carve out a Buhrle-esque career, but that is looking less and less to be the case.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    21 days ago Scott Diamond was released by the Minnesota Twins. He later accepted his outright assignment to Rochester,
    Unfortunately that did not happen. He was Designated For Assignment, pasted through waivers and then accepted that assignment. At all points he was under contract with the Minnesota Twins and he did not have to sign another contract. When you release a player (e.g. Guerrier this Spring) and then you re-sign him, he gets a new contracts.

I hope that the Twins cut the cord because at his point he might be a negative presence in the Rochester clubhouse. Let a kid with some future pitch.