Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jason Bartlett to retire

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish Jason well as he rides off into the sunset, so to speak. He was one of my favorite players (aside from the obvious Mauer, Morneau, Santana, Liriano) on the 2006 Twins which was one of the first teams I really fell in love with. I felt that was our best roster of the Gardy era by far, and the team really didn't take off until Bartlett and Punto supplanted Juan Castro and Tony Batista at SS and 3B, respectively. Never felt he got much of an opportunity here the first go-round, and it now looks like the deal that shipped him out of town was one of the worst in franchise history.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I forgot about the 40-man roster spot. Claim Fuld?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    This a hundred times. Maybe Nunez can be that guy? In today's baseball of 13 pitchers you can see why teams are looking for guys like this. I wouldn't doubt that the twins told Bart that Nunez was going to be their guy.
    One problem....Nunez has never played CF, in the majors or minors. And there's simply no reason to carry 13 pitchers. They have plenty of RPs- SIX!- in Rochester with options- along with Tonkin, Thielbar and Fien. They could just shuttle the group of RPs with remaining options back and forth representing the #12 pitching spot on the Twins, as needed.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-19-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I forgot about the 40-man roster spot. Claim Fuld?
    Do they want that spot for Guerrier? Is that what's holding them back? Or is it having to trade a prospect due to a higher-ranked waiver claimant on Fuld?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I think they have an OK plan for CF. Hicks backed up by Mastro. Hicks will start to hit precisely when he quits switch hitting.
    It might be an "OK plan for CF", except......your 3rd sentence doesn't appear to be part of the OK plan.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    .146/.163/.293

Alex Presley's slash line in 11 games with Houston so far. Not sure whether there is anything decent about that.
    That's two weeks vs. the two years Presley put up a greater than zero WAR. Two more than Hicks. Two years >>>>>>> two weeks.

Nobody is suggesting Presley should have been the starter, or that the Twins should give up on Hicks.

But last season should have disabused the Twins of the notion that Hicks was a can't-miss major leaguer. They watched him struggle for three months, demoted him, traded for Presley then dumped him, and entered the season with a 34 year old infielder who had not successfully played baseball since 2011 as the backup CF.

Any front office can make a mistake, but this wasn't just a mistake, and it wasn't some sort of perfect storm of fluke injuries or unforeseeable decline. It was a flawed process of identifying need, evaluating talent and risk, and asking some stone-simple 'what if' contingency questions.

And until the Twins either re-think that process or find more qualified people to execute it, they're in danger of winding up with their organizational pants around their ankles again.

7. These 5 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (04-19-2014), cmathewson (04-19-2014), jokin (04-19-2014), Riverbrian (04-20-2014), snepp (04-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Of those three, Presley has the highest career WAR. If Presley is "awful" what does that make Hicks and Mastro?
    Hicks is going to be a great player.......once this switch hitting madness ends.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile

Look at it this way:" Of the retreads, Bartlett is gone fast, Guerrier has an outside chance of making some contribution at some point this season, and Kubel is contributing in the field and especially at the plate. And the Twins made a minimal investment. I'd say that it has worked out well so far. Say "NO" to Sam Fuld. Let's see who is doing well in the minors and give a chance to that guy who proves his worth, rather than someone who did not prove his worth to another team.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    That's two weeks vs. the two years Presley put up a greater than zero WAR. Two more than Hicks. Two years >>>>>>> two weeks.

Nobody is suggesting Presley should have been the starter, or that the Twins should give up on Hicks.

But last season should have disabused the Twins of the notion that Hicks was a can't-miss major leaguer. They watched him struggle for three months, demoted him, traded for Presley then dumped him, and entered the season with a 34 year old infielder who had not successfully played baseball since 2011 as the backup CF.

Any front office can make a mistake, but this wasn't just a mistake, and it wasn't some sort of perfect storm of fluke injuries or unforeseeable decline. It was a flawed process of identifying need, evaluating talent and risk, and asking some stone-simple 'what if' contingency questions.

And until the Twins either re-think that process or find more qualified people to execute it, they're in danger of winding up with their organizational pants around their ankles again.
    The admission that they pursued Rajai Davis is telling. Well that, and their off-season love affair with Presley, only to unceremoniously dump him when he failed to perform well in Spring Training and also because they apparently had promised Bartlett a gig of some kind, no matter how he performed in Spring Training.

You are correct, this wasn't a "mistake" and IMO, it involves more than just re-thinking the process. It appears that the FO once again got involved in roster construction as in the Nishi affair, only this time, bring back some familiar names that the fans are familiar with and whom Gardy harbors no ill will against. Pohlad said he was embarrassed at what went down in 2013 and green-lighted the financial impetus to make requisite changes. The Bartlett swan song as Team Chemist, capped off with the Left Field debacle, was just one more embarrassment, ala 2013- and a huge unforced error on the part of Twins management.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-19-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Look at it this way:" Of the retreads, Bartlett is gone fast, Guerrier has an outside chance of making some contribution at some point this season, and Kubel is contributing in the field and especially at the plate. And the Twins made a minimal investment. I'd say that it has worked out well so far. Say "NO" to Sam Fuld. Let's see who is doing well in the minors and give a chance to that guy who proves his worth, rather than someone who did not prove his worth to another team.
    I'd be interested in who you think can play a major league CF in the Twins system. Buxton is not coming up any time soon, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It might be an "OK plan for CF", except......your 3rd sentence doesn't appear to be part of the OK plan.
    Watching him hit lefthanded is painful. It has set his career back. I dont understand what they are thinking.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Watching him hit lefthanded is painful. It has set his career back. I dont understand what they are thinking.
    It's always baffling when something so obvious is not in some way better addressed.

Given that they didn't call him up in September, his refusal to play winter ball, and their pursuit of Rajai Davis, I honestly don't think they care enough about him to make him give up switch hitting. IMO, they would have been just as happy to open the season with Alex Presley- before his horrible spring. Davis signed for 2yrs./$10M with the Tigers, the Twins probably offered him $7-9M over a similar contract length- and failing at their attempt at getting him, it appears they didn't really care who ended up playing the position.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Bartlett has expressed an interest in returning to the organization as a coach. Nothing open right now, but I think (and actually hope) they find a spot for him later on.

His problems seemed to be more physical than anything else.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Bartlett has expressed an interest in returning to the organization as a coach. Nothing open right now, but I think (and actually hope) they find a spot for him later on.

Would love to see Bartlett join the organization in that capacity.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post

Bartlett and his family live permanently at Fort Myers, so a ST/EST/GCL/instructional league opportunity will be tailor made for him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I half-predicted his retirement on another thread as I didn't really see another way out of this mess. I don't blame Bartlett but this whole episode smelled like shenanigans at every step. But like Danchat and others said it really amounts to very little.

There's some weird belief in this organization right now that outfield requires no special skill and anyone can play it. I base this statement on personnel decisions being made, most recently this spring training. After today, do people still agree with this idea?

It would have been nicer if Bartlett could have gotten a start at shortstop on his way out instead of outfield.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On behalf of Twins fans across Twins Territory, I would like to thank Mr. Bartlett for playing for our team and being a part of our entertainment. Good luck and may God bless you as you move forward to the next career.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123