Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/18): Organization Goes 0-6

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's time for the following to happen: Levi Michael gets promoted to New Britain (time to see, really, what he is made of), Polanco moves to second base and Goodrum back to short.

Does Polanco have the arm strength and range to be an average SS? If so, I would stick it out with him at SS for a while because his bat would play way above average there.

9 errors can tell completely different stories depending on the circumstances of the errors. Is there anyone on this board with a sense for the types of errors he has been committing and whether they are correctable through training and repetition?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It's time for the following to happen: Levi Michael gets promoted to New Britain (time to see, really, what he is made of), Polanco moves to second base and Goodrum back to short.
    Polanco should play at SS until he develops enough to prove he cannot play it in the majors (see: Cuddyer, Plouffe & Dozier,) because he will make the majors with his bat.

And if anyone should be promoted because of his bat, it should be Polanco (.340/.444/.453) and not Michael (.327/.351/.404; both slash lines this season.)

You just do not move a top prospect (who is on the 40 man roster) from a position of need because there are fielding issues in high A ball. That's what the minors are for, to learn a position and make errors. Last season he played about half of his games in SS. Give him 2 full seasons at SS and then we can talk. He is 20 years old, btw. Plenty of time to improve...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Yuck. Luckily it's a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    My take--all three have made way too many errors this season (yes I know small sample size). I would move Goodrum to short to see how he does and Polanco to third (realizing the throwing errors will still be there for Polanco) but to see how Niko does at SS.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    You just do not move a top prospect (who is on the 40 man roster) from a position of need because there are fielding issues in high A ball. That's what the minors are for, to learn a position and make errors. Last season [Polanco] played about half of his games in SS. Give him 2 full seasons at SS and then we can talk. He is 20 years old, btw. Plenty of time to improve...
    Exactly. Let the kid work on his fielding without so much pressure. It takes a huge amount of time and reps to become a major league fielder. Let him bust his butt and make his mistakes in the low minors, then see how he responds after a season or two. No rush with Polanco.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    "Friday was a good reminder that there is a reason these guys are at the levels they are at, that there is still work to be done." I rarely take this kind of tone but how does this account for the major league Twins? Friday was not really a reminder of anything except that anyone can have a bad day. I am speaking of the pitching. The comment is appropriate for the defensive play but that of course encompasses more than just one outing.