Thread: Article: Trevor Plouffe 2.0?

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Trevor Plouffe 2.0?

2. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-20-2014)

whoa grab the reins Nellie lol. I hope you're right and you might be, but saying "start of a new Trevor Plouffe - one that should be a building block of the Twins in coming years." is way too premature. I do really like your analysis of what has led to his early season success, but lets not go too far just yet. # hope you are right!

Even when they lose, it's so much more fun to watch the Twins hit this year. Knowing that Plouffe, Kubel, Colabello, and Pinto are all power threats who will work the count and take a walk is pretty fun, and must make opposing pitchers sweat. Last year it seemed like everyone was striking out all the time. I can't wait until we have a whole lineup that has punch and patience.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since71 View Post
    whoa grab the reins Nellie lol. I hope you're right and you might be, but saying "start of a new Trevor Plouffe - one that should be a building block of the Twins in coming years." is way too premature. I do really like your analysis of what has led to his early season success, but lets not go too far just yet. # hope you are right!
    That's why I tried to put a lot of emphasis on short sample size and the very real possiblity for regression to his career averages. You're absolutely right - it's far too early to make any proclaimations of redeemed careers or big turnarounds. We've seen Plouffe put up great weeks before, only to regress shortly thereafter.

I was just pointing out that his recent hot streak is coming from what appears to be a changed approach. If he can maintain that, then there's reason to believe he may be able to keep posting these improved numbers.

If that's the case, we very well could be seeing the Plouffe fans have been waiting for over the past three years. I think we're all pulling for that to be true!

6. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-19-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    He's facing some tough SP matchups this next week.

Lets see how he handles that.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope you are right. With a .1 dWAR (average) at 3rd and so far very good hitting Plouffe, if has has turned a corner in his career, the timing is impeccable. I would like to see him own 3b and actually have competition for Sano when he is ready to come up.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hate to say this, but other than the sample size difference, spray charts look pretty close to me... He is having better plate appearances, walks more and is more selective at the plate for sure...

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even if the batted ball profile is at this point a fluke, the improved approach and patience at the plate itself is a welcome adjustment. I'm not ready to say that he has turned a corner, but his performance has been very encouraging.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Hate to say this, but other than the sample size difference, spray charts look pretty close to me... He is having better plate appearances, walks more and is more selective at the plate for sure...
    Fair enough - with the limited amount of data for 2014, any change would be small and potentially hard to mark. (There's also the concern as to whether it's even statistically significant or just an anomaly).

I'd argue that the ground ball and line drive distributions do show encouraging trends, but I can certainly see your point where that data wouldn't be significant enough to consider it a "change" just yet.

It will be interesting to watch as the season progresses.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    Is it just me or does Plouffe look a bit bigger this year? He looks like he's put on some size.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Is it just me or does Plouffe look a bit bigger this year? He looks like he's put on some size.
    I believe LENIII was reporting this spring that he added like 10 or 15 lbs of muscle over the offseason.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I believe LENIII was reporting this spring that he added like 10 or 15 lbs of muscle over the offseason.
    Yeah, that's what I figured, he looks considerably bulkier, thanks for the info.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The approach is certainly sustainable. Don't swing at stuff off the plate. It will also eventually force pitchers to give him more fastballs... which I'd add would play into his power.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My running joke is my crystal ball being in the shop. And the truth is that we HAVE seen tantalizing streaks from Plouffe in the past. And it is those streaks that would offer a bit of a pessimistic view of Plouffe for his prowess this early season. So there is no way to see or predict what is yet to come.

But there are indicators that this early season success is not merely an illusion. The first being is that he is indeed a former 1st round pick who has shown glimpses in milb and at the MLB level. The second is, as was mentioned earlier, that Tom Kelly himself previously mentioned it can take around 1500-2000 AB's for a player to recognize what is going on and who he is. Plouffe is just reaching those levels. The third is that not only statistically but in visual presentation he just "looks" like a player who is starting to "get it".

I truly believe the Twins have an excellent coaching staff from top to bottom. I know there are issues here and there, but really, look at the track records of our coaches and argue with me. Ullger, Vavra, Molitor and Bruno have ALL seen success as batting instructors at various levels. And there has never been so much as a whisper as to conflict between them and the team. Overall, despite what our impressions might have been coming out of ST, a year after being one of the most inept and flailing lineups in MLB, our Twins have been amongst the ML leaders in production thus far. Some guys have room for regression, to be true, but others have room to escalate, and we've already had 2 injuries that would have seemed to be significant, and yet, haven't.

Now, it's true the roster makeover has eliminated some dead weight. But even still, there is significant improvement overall, and Plouffe's development is one of those key developments. I don't know if Bruno's tutelage is the sole/primary reason or not, but a big tip of my cap to all involved,

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    I think his short bursts of productivity in the past are glimpses of what Plouffe is capable of and actually encourage me to think maybe he's finally putting it together. It's a time will tell scenario similar to what we saw last year with Dozier. Was it real or not? As of right now, despite the poor batting average, Dozier is definitely looking for real both in the field and at the plate.

If Plouffe is for real, he could be huge for this lineup rotating at the corners in the outfield and infield once Sano comes up assuming he can stay at 3B. Hoping this is for real.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing about Plouffe's very good 18-game stretch to start the season is that it hasn't been fattened by home runs, he has only one. Yet his OPS is over .900 and he hasn't had the two guys projected to be the biggest boppers in the lineup for most of the time. Plouffe has the third best average among AL third basemen and the best OPS through 1/9th of the season.

Everybody keeps talking about a super utility role in the future for Plouffe. How about a regular corner outfield spot? An OPS over .800 with less-than-horrible defense should garner regular status somewhere on a Twins team with still too many holes.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are we realistically talking Cuddyer part 2? I think we may be.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Are we realistically talking Cuddyer part 2? I think we may be.
    I would take that in a heartbeat, especially if he doesn't have to move off of 3B like Cuddy did.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    While I agree that the spray charts look similar, a look at his averages tells a different story (with the SSS caveat).

..411 to LF, ..262 to CF, .175 to RF

.379 to LF, .358 to CF, .213 to RF

.273 to LF, .429 to CF, .400 to RF

His distribution may be similar, but he seems to be hitting the ball with more authority to RF. Whether he can continue it is up for discussion. I just hope he doesn't become averse to "yanking" one to LF with his new approach. The plate discipline is also very promising.
    Last edited by Physics Guy; 04-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    You just took a small sample size and made it smaller.

It was pretty obvious to some going into the season though that Plouffe was the least of the Twins problems this year. And it would be nice if he took another step forward this season and become a Willingham/Cuddyer level player for the Twins.