Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 160

Thread: Unwritten Rules are Not Smart

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    That slide was not dirty. To me, it looked extremely routine, and Gardy and the Twins agree with me.

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...119432044.html
    The fact that the Gardy and "the Twins" defended the perpetrator instead of defending their own player and not turning belly up to the Yankee jersey like they did, does not mean that the slide was clean, it means that Gardy and "the Twins" lack fortitude. And you can see the result in the standings and the scoreboard when they play the Yankees.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 04-20-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #22
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    320
    Like
    24
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The fact that the Gardy and "the Twins" defended the perpetrator instead of defending their own player and not turning belly up to the Yankee jersey like they did, does not mean that the slide was clean, it means that Gardy and "the Twins" lack fortitude. And you can see the result in the standings and the scoreboard when they play the Yankees.

    Wow.

  3. These 2 users like Fatt Crapps's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    gunnarthor (04-20-2014), USAFChief (04-20-2014)

  4. #23
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    320
    Like
    24
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Speaking of the unwritten rules, Gerrit Cole just got butthurt because Gomez flipped his bat. Cole must've attended Brian McCann's "How to play the game the right way" seminar.

  5. These 2 users like Fatt Crapps's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (04-20-2014), TheLeviathan (04-20-2014)

  6. #24
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,864
    Like
    182
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I love the unwritten rules part of baseball. Turbow's book on it was fantastic. Here is his post on it: http://thebaseballcodes.com/2014/04/...l-timed-bunts/
    The unwritten rules are literally millionaires playing like kindergarteners. It's systematized excuses to not act like an adult.

  7. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,691
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The unwritten rules are literally millionaires playing like kindergarteners. It's systematized excuses to not act like an adult.
    No, they aren't and some type of them exist in every sport/game.

  8. #26
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    358
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Did any of you see the replay of Go Go Gomez standing in the batters box to admire his triple, then jogging to first base until he realized the ball was not going out of the park, then swinging his helmet in the ensuing brawl...after G. Cole, the Pirates pitcher cussed him? How many rules, written or unwritten, were broken there? I know Go Go is a great talent, but I for one, am glad he is go go gone.

  9. #27
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    I know Go Go is a great talent, but I for one, am glad he is go go gone.
    Can you elaborate on why it is so, especially if you look at his production compared to that of the sorry Twins' outfielders since he was gone?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  10. #28
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    358
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I hate showboating and lack of hustle, both of which were exhibited by Gomez. To me the respect for the game is larger than winning or losing and the game was disrespected by Gomez. I've pulled for this same franchise since 1954. I don't like to lose, but baseball is more than just winning or losing. It's about pulling for a team which tries hard, which always hustles. It's about an organization which is community minded. It's about playing the game with respect and dignity. It's about being 8 years old and going to my first game in Washington with my grandfather to see the Senators. It's about coaching youngsters the right way to play a game and the right way to live their lives. It's about teaching my son to play baseball the right way. What was Gomez teaching the young fans who watched him flip his bat and admire his triple as he jogged to first base? Tell me one thing that is good about that. What was Gomez teaching when he was swinging his helmet during the ensuing brawl?

  11. #29
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    320
    Like
    24
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    What was Gomez teaching the young fans who watched him flip his bat and admire his triple as he jogged to first base?
    I don't think that's in his job description.

    His job is to hustle, however. I'm sure he'll get an earful from the higher ups.

  12. #30
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    358
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    You may be right about the job description not including being a good example for young fans. I wish it did. But the fact is that he is idolized by many young fans, emulated by some, and watched by thousands. Part of the reason he is paid so much money is because his skills attract fans...young and old. I realize our society has become more "in your face", but I, for one, don't like it.

  13. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    320
    Like
    24
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    The good ol' days.

    swinging-493x391.jpg

  14. #32
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    358
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    You have made your point with humor. I appreciate it.

  15. These 3 users like tarheeltwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Fatt Crapps (04-20-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-20-2014), USAFChief (04-20-2014)

  16. #33
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm actually okay with going after guys for showboating and general douchebaggery.

    But trying to get his team back in a game? Of course not. Ridiculous.
    I'm with you on this. There was a time when excessive shifts were considered douchery. Beating them certainly should not be considered douchery.

    But the Gomez bat flips should result in a brush back. I thought the Indians were throwing at our guys (when they broke Willingham's wrist). I was disappointed we didn't respond in some way.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  17. #34
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The fact that the Gardy and "the Twins" defended the perpetrator instead of defending their own player and not turning belly up to the Yankee jersey like they did, does not mean that the slide was clean, it means that Gardy and "the Twins" lack fortitude. And you can see the result in the standings and the scoreboard when they play the Yankees.
    I can respect that opinion, so long as you are consistent and rip the Twins when they try to break up the double play.

  18. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    623
    Like
    197
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    I don't know if it's an unwritten rule exclusive to baseball. I played 3 sports in high school and we 'got back' at others in a way that let the other team know we were to be respected, even if we were not in that game. Same with war or anything else, look at Sept 11. Was it smart to get involved in that war for really any other reason other than, a retaliation that says, "we won't tolerate this type of behavior" or we'll respond. Those are just ways you keep another team honest. It's like a child or a kid cheating on a test. You may not be able to re-route the behavior entirely, but you gave a response to that stimulus.

    7-0 makes it a little tougher, but if ANYONE played the shift on me, I'd bat 1.000 (minus user error - me) and bunt the crap out of them.

    I realize in marriage and in friendships, it's best you don't respond. But in many other cases, I'd subscribe to the 'high and tight' next time around mentality.

  19. #36
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,864
    Like
    182
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Shame part of this thread was lost. We were just getting into what an egregious act it is for professionals to flip their bat and kids might take after them. (Truly horrifying)

    But it's perfectly acceptable to accost and assault those you don't agree with to teach them a lesson about celebrating. Maybe all my extensive work with kids has created a blind spot...but I'm pretty sure those same impressionable youngsters watch major leaguers pout and throw baseballs 90 mph at each other because their feelings are hurt. So we're ok with kids picking up the "violence is a good way to solve your problems" message as long as they aren't showy about their success?

  20. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Fatt Crapps (04-22-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-25-2014)

  21. #37
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,719
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Agree with theleviathan......the debate had just gotten interesting, that violence and petulance are ok, but celebrating a big hit are not......
    Lighten up Francis....

  22. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-25-2014)

  23. #38
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,691
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Shame part of this thread was lost. We were just getting into what an egregious act it is for professionals to flip their bat and kids might take after them. (Truly horrifying)

    But it's perfectly acceptable to accost and assault those you don't agree with to teach them a lesson about celebrating. Maybe all my extensive work with kids has created a blind spot...but I'm pretty sure those same impressionable youngsters watch major leaguers pout and throw baseballs 90 mph at each other because their feelings are hurt. So we're ok with kids picking up the "violence is a good way to solve your problems" message as long as they aren't showy about their success?
    Just so long as your rip the other sports for the same thing.

  24. #39
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Just so long as your rip the other sports for the same thing.
    And the evening news.

  25. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,691
    Like
    310
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    And the evening news.
    And cartoons ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.