Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Rules are Not Smart

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts

Unwritten Rules are Not Smart

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...075115326.html

I believe this piece of evidence is numbered 6,899,987 in the long list of why baseball would be better off doing away with this nonsense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I don't know much about Bo Porter but I now know he's a clown.

It's okay for him to use strategy in a 7-0 game (defensive shift), but it's not okay for Lowrie to use strategy to try to beat the shift?
    These old school baseball unwritten rules are a joke.

3. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (04-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    No unwritten rule was broken unless you think your team is so bad that you can't come back 7 runs in even 7 innings. It will be a long year in Houston as the manager does not believe his team is capable of much

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And Bert went on the record officially today, for being all in favor of possibly injuring an opponent (and former teammate to current Astro players) in "retaliation" for employing a common sense strategy against a defensive shift (and still in the 1st inning of a game). Clowns to the left, jokers to the right.....

6. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-19-2014), Thrylos (04-19-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And Bert went on the record officially today, for being all in favor of possibly injuring an opponent (and former teammate to current Astro players) in "retaliation" for employing a common sense strategy against a defensive shift (and still in the 1st inning of a game). Clowns to the left, jokers to the right.....
    Trying to make some sense of it all, but I can see that it makes no sense at all
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    I wonder if Bert stopped throwing his curveball when he was up 7-0?

10. These 5 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-19-2014), jokin (04-19-2014), Oldgoat_MN (06-25-2014), Seth Stohs (04-20-2014), snepp (04-19-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Idiotic. If a team shifts, it is absolutely in his right to lay down a bunt and beat that shift, score be damned.

12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-19-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Baseball Prospectus has been tracking this and discussed it during their Wednesday email show on Effectively Wild. The percentage of bunts or "slap hits" against a shift increased by almost double in 2013 over 2012. There will always be some in the Ted Williams mode of "hit through the shift", but many (even including David Ortiz) have multiple cross-shift hits in the season already.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Im glad I didn't hear that. I may have threw the remote through the TV. It's obnoxious that anyone would believe this much less get vocal support from others around the league. The only people that need to be beaned anymore are those perpetuating this nonsense.

15. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-19-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see being irked by this play 7-0 in the 9th, but in the first? This isn't tee ball, there is no mercy rule, and not everyone gets a turn. Lowrie had the obligation to beat the shift in any way he could. Would the Stros have brushed Lowrie back if he poked a bloop single the other way? Talk about bush league

17. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-19-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Im glad I didn't hear that. I may have threw the remote through the TV. It's obnoxious that anyone would believe this much less get vocal support from others around the league. The only people that need to be beaned anymore are those perpetuating this nonsense.
    I'm actually okay with going after guys for showboating and general douchebaggery.

But trying to get his team back in a game? Of course not. Ridiculous.

19. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-19-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (04-20-2014), TwinVike61 (07-21-2014), USAFChief (04-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    The Houston manager started jawing at an opposing player???????

Managers should only shout at other managers, bench coaches at bench coaches, and players on players. That's the only "unwritten rule" I saw broken here.

Umpires, of course, are fair game to anyone

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Any preachy talk about unwritten rules being broken get me seething. If I played in the majors I would bunt for a hit up by 25 runs just to pizz on the "unwritten rulebook." Throw the whole thing out and play to win every minute of the game. Or go home and don't play at all.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Any preachy talk about unwritten rules being broken get me seething. If I played in the majors I would bunt for a hit up by 25 runs just to pizz on the "unwritten rulebook." Throw the whole thing out and play to win every minute of the game. Or go home and don't play at all.
    Yeah but there are rules and there are rules. Case in point:

Someone takes a dirty slide off line to break a double play and breaks the fielder's leg. What do you do if that happens to your teammate? I don't know about you, but I would bean that guy every time I saw him, and hard so he (at least) spends a few months in the DL himself, since baseball does not do anything for dirty play and dirty players like that.

I agree: Throw the whole thing out and play to win every minute of the game. And pay them with their own medicine. That's the other part of the unwritten rules...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm actually okay with going after guys for showboating and general douchebaggery.

But trying to get his team back in a game? Of course not. Ridiculous.
    I'm generally in agreement, however, I'd rather the team only retaliate for ACTUAL rule violations. Particularly ones that could injure.

Doing something that hurts someone's feelings like show-boat? Please. You get paid a crap ton of money to act like a professional. If someone else isn't, let that team deal with it or deal with it yourself by beating them on the scoreboard.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Someone takes a dirty slide off line to break a double play and breaks the fielder's leg. What do you do if that happens to your teammate? I don't know about you, but I would bean that guy every time I saw him, and hard so he (at least) spends a few months in the DL himself, since baseball does not do anything for dirty play and dirty players like that.

I agree: Throw the whole thing out and play to win every minute of the game. And pay them with their own medicine. That's the other part of the unwritten rules...
    I can agree with all of that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

That slide was not dirty. To me, it looked extremely routine, and Gardy and the Twins agree with me.

Nishioka, Gardenhire and other Twins said they felt Swisher made a clean slide into second base, trying to break up a potential double play ball hit by Mark Teixeira in the seventh inning.
    “He was just breaking up the double play; no issues there,” Gardenhire said. “[Nishioka] just got caught a little flat-footed. Swisher’s a clean player. That’s just a good baseball slide, trying to break up a double play. There’s no intent there.”
    Swisher went to the X-Ray room to apologize to Nishioka.
    “The first thing I said was, ‘I’m sorry, man. I thought you were going to jump,” Swisher said. “And he said, ‘It was my fault. I should have gotten out of the way.’ I was just trying to break up a double play. I didn't mean to do that. Especially with a guy like that, just trying to make his mark over here.”
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...119432044.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I love the unwritten rules part of baseball. Turbow's book on it was fantastic. Here is his post on it: http://thebaseballcodes.com/2014/04/...l-timed-bunts/

27. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    That slide was not dirty. To me, it looked extremely routine, and Gardy and the Twins agree with me.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...119432044.html
    Such an odd world baseball is; breaking a man's leg is clean play, but bunting is unsportsmanlike.
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    infielders from Japan coming to the U.S. need to be coached to lift/jump when turning the double play. Unwritten sportsmanship rule in Japan not to slide hard into second, I guess.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast