Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time for Mauer to Smell the Coffee

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Mauer will never live up to some people's expectations. Mauer has won Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, batting titles, an MVP, numerous All-Star games, but because he doesn't hit HR's he can't be loved.

Here's a thought... maybe pitcher's disagee with us idiot fans and throw him nothing good in clutch situations, because they'd rather pitch to Trevor "F&^##ing" Plouffe.
    Well, in the specific AB discussed here, Mauer took a first pitch FB over the middle of the plate.

And in general, Plouffe hasn't been following Mauer in the order for very long.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For his career, Mauer has 8 HR's in 277 swings at the first pitch. That's a rate of 2.9%. He has produced 157 outs after swinging at the first pitch, a rate of 57.3%.

Whatever cost-benefit analysis people do about Mauer's swing habits and pitch selection has to account for his actual power, and not whatever speculative power you think he's hiding in his back pocket.

Especially when the tying run isn't even on base yet.

I don't care what he's being paid or where he bats in the order - Mauer is not a power hitter.

3. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Mauer will never live up to some people's expectations. Mauer has won Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, batting titles, an MVP, numerous All-Star games, but because he doesn't hit HR's he can't be loved.

Here's a thought... maybe pitcher's disagee with us idiot fans and throw him nothing good in clutch situations, because they'd rather pitch to Trevor "F&^##ing" Plouffe.
    I completely agree. He will never live up to some peoples expectations. Case and point, I asked three times for people criticizing Mauer to quantify what type of season he would have in order to please them, none responded. I am speculating they don't want to put numbers down because then they would actually have to be pleased if he accomplished said numbers. Or their expectations are so out there that they would be embarrassed to type them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234