Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 154

Thread: Unwritten Rules are Not Smart

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    And cartoons ...
    And their younger siblings.

  2. #42
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    And cartoons ...
    Except the news is not making the stuff happening, it is saying what happened.....all the last three posts are...are logical fallacies about why we can't rip baseball for violence.
    Lighten up Francis....

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Except the news is not making the stuff happening, it is saying what happened.....all the last three posts are...are logical fallacies about why we can't rip baseball for violence.
    And the evidence that baseball makes violence happen is what; because people in this thread say so?

  4. #44
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,822
    Like
    176
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Just so long as your rip the other sports for the same thing.
    I would rip the news, but the rest aren't equivalent issues. In other sports there is thuggery and brawling (the vast majority of which I don't condone, but at least understand) but it is almost exclusively in retaliation for rule violations the refs didn't catch.

    Only in baseball do they punish celebrating on the field or other made-up rules because of awful cases of butthurt. It doesn't happen in football. (The league fines, but only for egregious celebrating) It doesn't happen in hockey. (Goal celebrations are common) And it doesn't happen in basketball unless it's egregious. ONLY in baseball does celebrating an achievement warrant violence. ONLY in baseball does a brawl erupt because you did something perfectly within the rules. (Like..bunt against a shift. Or steal a base with a lead)

    So no, I won't rip the other sports. Baseball is uniquely obnoxious in this regard.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Double-A zenser's Avatar
    Posts
    193
    Like
    18
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    I tend to agree with Dan Gladden, who mentions from time to time on the air, that the score board will dictate a few things. Whether it is bunting for a hit in the first inning, bunting to break up a no hitter, stealing bases with a big lead, showboating a solo homer with a big lead or if you are down a few runs, all of these depend on what the situation is. It seems that the umps are kind of stepping in early and when they issue a warning when someone gets hit. It used to be that if a guy hits a homer and admires it, he gets hit the next time. The next inning, the lead off guy gets hit and it ended. Now they issue a warning without being able to get one back. If it goes beyond that, step in. Let the players police themselves.

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Only in baseball do they punish celebrating on the field or other made-up rules because of awful cases of butthurt. It doesn't happen in football. (The league fines, but only for egregious celebrating) It doesn't happen in hockey. (Goal celebrations are common) And it doesn't happen in basketball unless it's egregious. ONLY in baseball does celebrating an achievement warrant violence.
    Every football game has players pushing and punching each other after the play, usually b/c someone is celebrating their physical achievement over somebody else.

  7. #47
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,822
    Like
    176
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Every football game has players pushing and punching each other after the play, usually b/c someone is celebrating their physical achievement over somebody else.
    No, pushing and punching usually continues because it's a physical game. Football is a violent game and sometimes that persists beyond the whistle. That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Baseball interrupts a non-physical game to start altercations about things that aren't even rules violations!

    The only equivalent I can remember in football to what baseball does is when Owens celebrated on the Dallas 50 yard line and got smeared. That would be a fair comparison.

  8. #48
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,822
    Like
    176
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I think this bears repeating because this is the crux of my issue:

    ONLY in baseball does a brawl erupt because you did something perfectly within the rules. (Like..bunt against a shift. Or steal a base with a lead)

  9. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-25-2014)

  10. #49
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    And the evidence that baseball makes violence happen is what; because people in this thread say so?
    I never said it did....the other side is saying showboating and stuff is bad for kids....I'm saying if that is bad, then violence is worse.
    Lighten up Francis....

  11. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-25-2014)

  12. #50
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I never said it did....the other side is saying showboating and stuff is bad for kids....I'm saying if that is bad, then violence is worse.
    And we have to take sides, because?
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  13. #51
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'll repeat this from yesterday......if there was a work environment where people got verbally abused for wearing blue shirts (for no reason other than it has always been that way)....would people here defend that? Because that's what people are doing..... defending throwing dangerous objects at people that celebrate an achievement.
    Lighten up Francis....

  14. #52
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    And we have to take sides, because?
    Most arguments have sides, that doesn't mean that we can't respect each other, or like each other, it means that we are arguing sides on a position.
    Lighten up Francis....

  15. #53
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Most arguments have sides, that doesn't mean that we can't respect each other, or like each other, it means that we are arguing sides on a position.
    Is that an unwritten rule?
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  16. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (06-25-2014)

  17. #54
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Is that an unwritten rule?
    It's written:

    http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...September-2013


  18. #55
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Then it must be smart.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  19. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (04-22-2014)

  20. #56
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think this bears repeating because this is the crux of my issue:

    ONLY in baseball does a brawl erupt because you did something perfectly within the rules. (Like..bunt against a shift. Or steal a base with a lead)
    Again, that's not true. Fights happen in every sport for many different reasons but showing up an opponent (disrespecting an opponent in some form) is common in all. Baseball has one advantage (disadvantage?) in that they play 162 games in a season and maybe a team will have one real fight a year and maybe 3 things where the benches empty and nothing happens. This little clip on youtube shows a few fights from last season in the NFL and the Giants were involved in at least two in only a 16 game schedule. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5HX831fjc Ditto with the NBA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au5B5v4qBDY

  21. #57
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    140
    Like
    348
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Or one could say: Baseball, along with golf, amateur wrestling, and tennis, has a history of good manners. Baseball, more so than basketball, soccer, or football, is a team sport in which there are intense individual duels, batter against pitcher. I think in a sport, the more individuals are pitted against individuals, the more good manners are required, such as no showing up the other individual. I may be totally off base here, but I wonder.

  22. #58
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Again, how is it bad manners to flip your bat? Intrinsically, how is it bad manners? How does it show them up? HE was celebrating a big hit, he wasnt' saying "you suck".....

    And I don't care about other sports, we don't need to fix every sport before we can fix only 1 sport.....that's just an attempt to fix nothing because we can't fix everything. It's an awful way to run the world.
    Lighten up Francis....

  23. #59
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Again, how is it bad manners to flip your bat? Intrinsically, how is it bad manners? How does it show them up? HE was celebrating a big hit, he wasnt' saying "you suck".....
    It's a gesture that has a real meaning behind it that the players understand. Most gestures, if you just ignored it or didn't know what it meant, mean nothing. A bat flip might not mean anything to you but it sure has meaning to the players on the field.

  24. #60
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Might as well get mad at the weather, then. And how do we know what Thome or gomez or any other bat flipper is thinking? And who cares if Gomez is flipping his bat like I flip my middle finger? Why let any of that bother you? No one is actually hurt by this action, we don't know the motivation for the action, and yet people condone throwing projectiles at others at high speeds to keep them in line.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.