Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/21): Shine Bright Like Scott Diamond

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/21): Shine Bright Like Scott Diamond

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Does anyone else wonder if Parmelee is just going to end up one of those guys who you see claimed on waivers via mlbtraderumors and are like "holy crap, how did that guy not stick with the team" due to big numbers at AAA? It seems like I see that every year a couple times some 1B/DH type that gets claimed and I see them and think dang, Twins shoulda got him only to realize the guy just couldn't make the jump for some reason.

Hopefully he can keep it up and at some point get up here if a bat cools down or when someone gets injured. It just seems unlikely at this point with both Arcia and Willingham waiting to get back on the roster again and Kubel and Colabello hitting so well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I have a theory that if you can rake at AAA, you have the potential to be a good hitter in MLB. There just isn't a large enough gap in talent between the leagues to allow someone to dominate AAA but not be pretty good in MLB. Given enough time everyone can figure it out, it's just that not everyone is allowed that time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    @JoeAP, I understand what you're saying but, I think many players and coaches would disagree with you. Most baseball people would say the jump from AAA to the Majors is the biggest and most difficult jump to make. Second is the A+ to AA jump. True, an adjustment period (like what Hicks is given) would help a ton of hitters and pitchers, but at the MLB level these guys need to win and win soon. The minor league affiliates want to win, but not at the expense of development.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I have a theory that if you can rake at AAA, you have the potential to be a good hitter in MLB. There just isn't a large enough gap in talent between the leagues to allow someone to dominate AAA but not be pretty good in MLB.
    Well some would argue the jump from AAA to the majors is easier if you happened to face the 2013 Minnesota Twins rotation. Unfortunately Parmelee never got that chance last year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    What is up with the offense this year? I know three top prospects aren't playing, but not much else appears to be going super well....or am I just not reading these reports correctly?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    What is up with the offense this year? I know three top prospects aren't playing, but not much else appears to be going super well....or am I just not reading these reports correctly?
    I don't think anyone expected the Kernels offense to be great. Walker and Kepler are off to slow starts, but the rest of the Miracle offense is doing ok. The Rockcats without Sano, Buxton and Rosario are left with Vargas, who's been slow out of the gates. Rochester has been getting offense from Bernier, Beresford and other non-prospect types.

Similar to the Twins offense, kinda, no Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, but unlikely contributions from others.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    thanks jeremy.

edit: not really thrilled that the offense is being carried by guys most don't think are MLB players.....this minor league system needs to produce some good players (more Pinto, less Hicks/Floriman)
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 04-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Jorge Polanco went 0-for-3, but is still batting .333. He hasn’t been without struggles though. Tonight he committed his 10th error, and was picked off/caught stealing. It’s a tribute to him that he’s been able to keep his troubles out of the batter’s box though, and you have to wonder how long he’ll get a shot to continue at shortstop (especially when neither Michael or Goodrum would be any worse).
    If he continues to hit does it matter much whether he's committing lots of errors in A ball? I'm reminded of Miguel Sano whose errors at third were just piling up in A ball. Every night it seemed like he got another one. But scouts thought he could stick, so the team kept putting him out at third, growing pains be damned. After all, think of how his bat will play if he sticks at third.

Same thing with Polanco - think of how his bat will play if he sticks at short. At this point, I don't think either Goodrum or Michael are in the same class of prospect as Polanco; if either of those two make it at all, it will likely be as a backup or utility type. I'm all for giving Polanco a long time to work out the kinks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Yesterday in extended the Twins played the Orioles and Manny Machado was at 3rd. He popped out twice and struck out twice, the last one on 3 nasty changeups, swinging. This morning Mark Hamberber threw live bp.

What do the Twins do if Parmalee keeps mashing?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    Promote him if there is room. Trade him if there is a good offer. Let him keep mashing until there is room or until there is a good offer. I am all for promotions when earned and he is earning it but there still has to be a spot available and no, Mauer would have to bat .267 all year before that spot should be considered. Parmalee can hardly complain about lack of opportunity.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Any news on Buxton or Rosario? How about just a status update.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    this minor league system needs to produce some good players (more Pinto, less Hicks)
    Kind of ironic statement since Pinto was never on a top prospect list and Hicks has the 1st round draft pedigree

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I think Rosario showed up at extended spring.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    If he mashes all year and there isn't room until September, add him back to the 40-man and make him compete for an OF spot. There could be both Hammer's and Kubel's spots open next year. He'd still be a cheap. Otherwise, yeah, if there's a market for him, listen.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Buxton should be showing up in EST games soon, I would think.

Rosario has been in FM for over a week and he should also be playing in EST games soon.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Kind of ironic statement since Pinto was never on a top prospect list and Hicks has the 1st round draft pedigree
    Certainly not unusual to the Twins organization... and, I still wouldn't give up on Hicks becoming a solid regular.

19. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (04-22-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Certainly not unusual to the Twins organization... and, I still wouldn't give up on Hicks becoming a solid regular.
    I would not give up on Hicks either and of course Pinto is no sure thing either. Anyone remember Valencia and Parmalee's start? Problem I had with Hicks is that there didn't seem to be enough upside to his being a switch hitter and also that he never really dominated (much as I dislike that word) at the lower levels. He had the one nice year at AA but was hardly busting out. Same thing happened with Plouffe. He was being given a shot at the twins without really earning the promotion until he busted out a bit in 2011. He is now looking pretty good and Hicks might be capable of the same path but might not have the same extended opportunity with Buxton and other prospects vying for the same spots.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His six solid innings, where he allowed seven hits and two walks, were enough for Rochester’s bats to pick up the win.
    I would not call a 1.500 WHIP performance "solid" by any means. I would call it below average. The fact that this performance was Diamond's best of the season does not make it "solid"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast