Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@Rays 4/24 12:10PM

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Twins@Rays 4/24 12:10PM

Game-time forecast: Clear. 0% PoP. Winds 8mph from the south. Temperature around 95.

Twins:
    SP, Nolasco

Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Plouffe 3B
    Colabello RF
    Pinto DH
    Suzuki C
    Fuld LF
    Hicks CF
    Florimon SS

Rays:
    SP, Bedard

Zobrist 2B
    Jennings CF
    Joyce LF
    Longoria 3B
    Loney 1B
    Myers RF
    DeJesus DH
    Escobar SS
    Molina C

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Birthday Presents -- I absolutely tickled that Chris Colabello hit a home run. I think it's even better that it happened on his mother's birthday. I think it's even better that it happened while she was being interviewed. I think it's even better still that it was specifically suggested that he hit a home run mere seconds before it happened. This just ads to the incredible story that is Chris Colabello. I'm starting to feel like I know him. After listening to his mom... It's clear that he is part of great family and these are just great people that I can cheer for collectively. However... I am concerned about the bleeting noises produced by Mom. I didn't recognize them as the part of normal human speech patterns.

2. Chris Colabello -- Not just a home run... A game winning single to drive in two. 4 RBI's on the night just add to his top of MLB Total. Colabello... is becoming my favorite Twin.

3. Rubber bands -- We still have that rubber band strapped around .500. We get game below and we win. We get a game above and we lose. I'm going to be ok with that rubber band if it lasts until July. Then it can snap... umm... in a positive direction please... because I don't want to get hit in the eye with it.

4. Sam Fuld -- Nice debut for Sam... He put the ball in play and he helped us win. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets going forward and how much playing time Aaron Hicks gets if he continues to struggle.

5. Gas Station Bathrooms -- I had to use a gas station bathroom the other day. It was locked... I had to stand and wait behind a bunch of customers just to ask for the key. I walked into the bathroom and it was filthy. I wondered why it was locked in the first place. They must have been afraid that someone would break in and clean it.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 04-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

2. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-24-2014), LaBombo (04-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Glad the wind isn't bad that tends to screw with our pitchers for some reason.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After the first game, I had a nagging feeling the Twins would get swept.

Now they have a legitimate chance to win the series.

But damn, this pitching needs to get on track. It's been so much worse than it should have been over the first four weeks of play. Their ceiling is probably mediocrity but their floor *should* be higher than we've seen thus far.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    I know. I really expected no offense, but thought we'd be ... okay ... in pitching. Glad the offense has been able to compensate for the pitching thus far but it would be nice if the pitching finally came around to at least mediocre.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I kind-of liked Fuld in that #9 spot last night in front of Dozier and Mauer, but having 2 defensive OFers out there with Colabello has to make Nolasco happy. Meanwhile, Escobar and his "powerful" .608 OPS in the #8 spot was also refreshing, too bad it was just a one-day deal, back to 2 automatic outs at the bottom of the order- it's amazing the Twins offense is as productive as it is, with those 2 in the lineup, plus Mauer struggling to this point.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    it's amazing the Twins offense is as productive as it is, with those 2 in the lineup, plus Mauer struggling to this point.
    Baseball is a strange ****ing game.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who's available today? I presume Thielbar, Tonkin, Burton and Perkins. Anyone else? Maybe Deduno?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    It looks like Gardy is doing a left/right platoon with Florimon and Escobar.

If only there were fewer left-handed starters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    This "platoon" word you keep using... What does it mean?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post

If only there were fewer left-handed starters.
    ...but then he's doing it the wrong way?
    Florimon had a .459 OPS vs. LHP last year.
    Escobar owns a career .712 OPS vs. LHP.

If Gardy was platooning the right way, I'd hope for more lefties!

Edit: The reason I went last year for PFlo and career for EddieE was so that they'd have similar admittedly small sample sizes from which to judge Gardy's platooning (~100 PA).
    Last edited by TheDean; 04-24-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Who's available today? I presume Thielbar, Tonkin, Burton and Perkins. Anyone else? Maybe Deduno?
    No matter, stringer. Nolasco is going 8 today.

13. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (04-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This "platoon" word you keep using... What does it mean?
    It's kind of a weird phenomenon. I'm not sure I quite understand it myself, but I think it means that Florimon starts against Erik Bedard and David Price, while Escobar starts against Yordano Ventura and Jake Odorizzi.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Hicks will look at the batting order and say "man, I'm hitting behind a guy who was picked up on waivers?" and have it motivate him positively.

16. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (04-24-2014), Gibby (04-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
    ...but then he's doing it the wrong way?
    Florimon had a .459 OPS vs. LHP last year.
    Escobar owns a career .712 OPS vs. LHP.

If Gardy was platooning the right way, I'd hope for more lefties!
    This correlation of platoon statistics does not imply casuality, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Florimon has obviously become a lefty masher and Gardenhire is way too smart to platoon "the right way".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Glad the wind isn't bad that tends to screw with our pitchers for some reason.
    The guy who made that choice of words after a Spring game is no longer with the team, not even for a player in return.

A reasonable conclusion would then be that the Twins front office doesn't care for the attitude among their employees either. But sure, go ahead and hang the attitude around the necks of "our pitchers" anyway.

19. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (04-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Sure didn't take long for Gardy to experiment with a defense-first lineup.

I assumed that we'd see Hicks and Fuld on the field together at some point, but I wasn't thinking it would be this soon.

I wonder if this will be typical against lefties until Willingham is back...

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    it's amazing the Twins offense is as productive as it is, with those 2 in the lineup, plus Mauer struggling to this point.
    If you look at the offense it is likely better in run production because of all the walks they've been getting. 8.4 hits per 9 in 14 against 8.3 hits last year. 9.2 k's in 14 against 8.8 last year.

Runs 5.3 this yr and 3.8 last yr. Why is that when they aren't getting more hits? Walks! 5.1 walks this year and 3.3 last year. A plus 1.8 walks per 9 innings vs. a plus 1.5 runs per 9 last year. You know the saying walks will kill you. It's likely only some of these extra walks are from better at bats more likely many are from running into some wild pitching. If we were getting a lot more hits I'd feel better long term but I think all these extra walks might even out over time.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The guy who made that choice of words after a Spring game is no longer with the team, not even for a player in return.

A reasonable conclusion would then be that the Twins front office doesn't care for the attitude among their employees either. But sure, go ahead and hang the attitude around the necks of "our pitchers" anyway.
    JOKE they are playing in a dome!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    One more Colabello anecdote, his next Run Batted In will make him the Twins' all-time leader for RBI in the month April.

Think he gets it today?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    JOKE they are playing in a dome!!
    Of course. It's the nature of the joke that seemed more like just a chance for a cheap shot. Here's mine: I'm calling Florimon's first HR of the season, now that he doesn't have the wind blowing in to prevent it. If that's a shot against Florimon's batting prowess, so be it - but I don't think it's especially cheap.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast