Thread: Article: My Twins Mt. Rushmore

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: My Twins Mt. Rushmore

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How much more does Mauer need to do to crack this list?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Killer, Carew, Puck should all be locks. Fourth spot is open for some debate but I'd pick Mauer.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Killer, Carew, Puck should all be locks. Fourth spot is open for some debate but I'd pick Mauer.
    I agree with this... Those top three are obvious. The next level is Oliva, Hrbek and Mauer... and Mauer is another future Hall of Famer, so I'd go with him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    no pitchers?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    If you make this out of bobbleheads you could fit in more people.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    The tough thing is only 4... and I agree with Brandon wholeheartedly. Go figure!

I'd say Carew and Oliva were similar-type players, so you might have to make a tough choice there. I'd go with Sir Rodney. Opens up a spot for a pitcher, and I'm partial to a guy named Walter. Otherwise, Kitty Kaat comes to mind, Mudcat, Bert, Sweet Music, Reardon, Radke (?) Johan, The Gambler (just checkin'), Eddie (?), Rick Reed (checkin' again), Nathan...

With the All-Star game coming, I think you're ahead of the curve... I expect all-time Sens/Twins lists to start popping up around then- hope so, anyway.
    With a full roster to play with, you'd have a chance to really flesh things out... 25 or 40-man rosters... could be fun.

Sam Rice!
    Last edited by BigTrane; 04-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I agree with this... Those top three are obvious. The next level is Oliva, Hrbek and Mauer... and Mauer is another future Hall of Famer, so I'd go with him.
    Yep. Mauer HAS to be on this list. He has a slightly higher WAR than Oliva in 4-5 less seasons. He played catcher and did it at a high level. Their adjusted OPS+ is almost identical (133 to 135).

It's unfortunate that Oliva's career was derailed by injury but Mauer is the better player, period.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    no pitchers?
    If Blyleven played most of his career here, then I'd say him. And if we had a better connection to our Senators past, I'd say Walter Johnson. But we don't. Still, Kaat, Santana, Radke and Blyleven could all be considered for that fourth spot but I'd put Mauer ahead of them.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    If you were choosing your 'Mt. Rushmore' right now, I think he has it right. I think you choose past greats for Mt. Rushmore now. Not current or future greats. When Mauer retires and is elected into the Hall, then you chisel out Mauer over Oliva.

11. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question The anti-rushmore - twins 4 all-time worst

The positive Rushmore is easy, except for choosing between Mauer and Oliva.

Now the tough question, the Anti-Rushmore Four, using any combination of generally bad playing, uniquely bad playing, bad results for team (gave up a great player in trade), bad attitude and longevity as criteria. My four would include an easy first three: Terry Felton, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, and Ron Davis (good guy but too many blown saves). The fourth one is tough. Despite his limited tenure, I'd choose Tommy Herr, who was poison in the clubhouse (handing out photographs of aborted fetuses and other unwanted preachiness), and was traded for Tom Brunansky, who had been a productive and loyal player for the team. I'm sure there are may other worthy ex-Twins to put on the Anti-Rushmore (Matt Capps, Hosken Powell and Willie Norwood, Pat Mahomes, and even Dave Engel who batted well but couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher).

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Hard to take Carew down, but if we are giving priority to guys who devoted their whole careers here (or 99.9% of their career), then Tony O would come first. Also on the other thread we discussed TK. I think TK deserves to be up there with Harmon and Puck (and Mauer eventually) for all the things he's done for this organization both before and after he was manager.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Back to my Anti-Rushmore (the four worst Twins), I note that I don't put Hosken, Bombo nor Disco on the face of that Mount of Shame. Hosken has a shot, and Disco had his peculiarities, but Bombo wasn't really that bad of a player and, in my opinion, only is derided because of his unusual name. Willie Norwood? That's another thing! Again, Terry Felton, Nishi, Ron Davis and Tommy Herr are the ones I'd put up on the Mount of Shame.
    Last edited by strumdatjag; 04-27-2014 at 02:07 PM.

15. This user likes strumdatjag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I don't think Mauer belongs yet. I mean, have we really decided on a nickname?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    "Walk a mile in my cleats."
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Back to my Anti-Rushmore (the four worst Twins), I note that I don't put Hosken, Bombo nor Disco on the face of that Mount of Shame. Hosken has a shot, and Disco had his peculiarities, but Bombo wasn't really that bad of a player and, in my opinion, only is derided because of his unusual name. Willie Norwood? That's another thing! Again, Terry Felton, Nishi, Ron Davis and Tommy Herr are the ones I'd put up on the Mount of Shame.
    I will give you Nishi, Ron Davis, and Tommy Herr (I call him "Tommy" because he and I go way back), but yes please save a place for a 1978 outfielder

I am assuming you are excluding players from the Washington Senator days because otherwise Walter Johnson would almost certainly be a lock as well.

For the Anti-Rushmore Twins how about some players who were so bad they didn't last the season like Sidney Ponson, Ramon Ortiz, Livan Hernandez, Mike Lamb, or even Rondell White who did attempted two seasons with the Twins.
    Last edited by Dbohnk; 04-27-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    http://gardynickname.com/

According to this it's Mauersy, which is good enough for me...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll never forget the series where Fred Lynn kept hitting HRs game after game.

Ray Milker would be the MGR, who got replaced by some geeky looking guy I'd never heard of

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast