Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Aaron Slegers video

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aaron Slegers video

Saw the Kernels beat up on Clinton Sunday afternoon. Starting pitcher Aaron Slegers had a great day, going 7 innings and giving up just 1 run on 6 hits, no walks and 8 Ks. He changed speeds well on his fastball but it looked to me like his breaking ball was nasty.

If you'll pardon my shaky video talents, here's his 1-2-3 7th inning

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

2. These 3 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-27-2014), Tibs (04-28-2014), twinsfan34 (04-27-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gonna be tough on righthanders.

Wouldn't be a minor league game without the breaking windshield sound effect.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of arms and legs for a batter to have to differentiate from the baseball. Smoother delivery than I expected. But what do you think of his arm action- does he tip the breaking ball? Did anyone have a gun on his fastball?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    If he tips the breaking ball, the Clinton hitters sure didn't pick it up. His delivery really does seem pretty efficient.

I didn't check the Clinton speed gun sign every pitch, but I saw a lot of 89-92. I saw one 93 (strike) and one 94 (ball).

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

7. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-27-2014)

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man alive...that's a LOT of arms and legs. And despite being a college pitcher, he's only 21 years old too, 22 in September.

He's a guy who could end up in AA by year end. I know it's only rookie ball and A but ya gotta love these lines

47.2 IP 6 BB 45 SO and only 1 HR allowed.

Today...11 groundballs, 8 strikeouts, and 1 flyball. That's some serious downward angle on the ball.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb

9. These 2 users like twinsfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-27-2014), Tibs (04-28-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Snowing? Sheesh. All we got was a driving rain at 35 degrees.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Man alive...that's a LOT of arms and legs. And despite being a college pitcher, he's only 21 years old too, 22 in September.

He's a guy who could end up in AA by year end. I know it's only rookie ball and A but ya gotta love these lines

47.2 IP 6 BB 45 SO and only 1 HR allowed.

Today...11 groundballs, 8 strikeouts, and 1 flyball. That's some serious downward angle on the ball.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb
    Jumping two levels to AA would be a tremendous development- thanks for the supplemental stats, twinsfan. The Twins have been on the lookout for tall starters for years- and have regularly failed in their endeavors. After seeing this video, I'm far more encouraged than I was previously- shout out to JC! He really only had one year of stats in college, and virtually nothing can be determined from a college player pitching at E-Town- so I was on the skeptical side. He's now yet one more to watch more closely.

Can you imagine Bert's giddiness and colorful discourses and rants about the nuances of "downward planes", with both Meyer and Slegers in the rotation?

12. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (04-28-2014)

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Snowing? Sheesh. All we got was a driving rain at 35 degrees.
    Nope, no snow. Just some spitting rain and temps in the upper 50s. It started there in the 7th inning. But that wind was strong. Both HRs, the one Slegers gave up and the one Ivory Thomas hit, went out to RF and had a bit of help.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the video.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Thank you - weird to hear the ball pop the mitt like that - sounds like maybe 50 people were there

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Thank you - weird to hear the ball pop the mitt like that - sounds like maybe 50 people were there
    At that point in the game, bottom of the 7th with the rain starting to spit and severe thunderstorms about an hour away from arriving, there may have still been over 50 people there. But I bet there weren't 100.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Jumping two levels to AA would be a tremendous development- thanks for the supplemental stats, twinsfan. The Twins have been on the lookout for tall starters for years- and have regularly failed in their endeavors. After seeing this video, I'm far more encouraged than I was previously- shout out to JC! He really only had one year of stats in college, and virtually nothing can be determined from a college player pitching at E-Town- so I was on the skeptical side. He's now yet one more to watch more closely.

Can you imagine Bert's giddiness and colorful discourses and rants about the nuances of "downward planes", with both Meyer and Slegers in the rotation?
    yeah, it's pretty rare. Garza was one of the last that did it if memory serves me right. College players are more likely to do it, especially given that he's starting in Cedar Rapids.

Thanks for sharing. This was my first time getting to see the Kernels this year, which turns out to be quite a good one. Clinton is one of my favorite MWL parks, and I always seem to get good games when I make the roadtrip down there.

Hopefully your drive back to CR wasn't too bad.